August 22, 2018, 05:17:34 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 746721 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1580 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:21 PM »
Costlove.com?

Prostitutes, or divorce lawyers?

Or both!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1581 on: October 10, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
Neither.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1582 on: October 10, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
Costlove.com?

Do they have people who can speak English over the phone?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1583 on: October 10, 2016, 08:05:39 PM »
You mean the smaller green on the outside pumpkins?  I have had the instant pumpkin soup sold here before.  It's pretty good.  But, I've never known for sure how to make pumpkin.  You cut it up and boil it like mashed potatoes?

Those (the little green Korean "sweet pumpkins") are good just cut up into quarters and baked with a dollop of butter or olive oil, maybe some herbs sprinkled atop. I'm guessing these are the same ones Pecan would recommend for pumpkin pie filling as well.

Aren't hose just squash. I ate them all the time back home cooked just like you described.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1584 on: October 11, 2016, 06:14:33 AM »
You mean the smaller green on the outside pumpkins?  I have had the instant pumpkin soup sold here before.  It's pretty good.  But, I've never known for sure how to make pumpkin.  You cut it up and boil it like mashed potatoes?

Those (the little green Korean "sweet pumpkins") are good just cut up into quarters and baked with a dollop of butter or olive oil, maybe some herbs sprinkled atop. I'm guessing these are the same ones Pecan would recommend for pumpkin pie filling as well.

Aren't hose just squash. I ate them all the time back home cooked just like you described.

A type of squash. If you want to get super lazy, you can actually just cut it (or even sweet potatoes) up and clean it, and drop it in the rice cooker with water, set it and forget it.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1585 on: October 11, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
Do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?? I've never attempted it so maybe it's easier than I imagine it to be but I miss pumpkin pie so badly. :sad:

If you get canned pumpkin filling it's easy as... well anyway, it's easy. They usually have a recipe right on the back. I wouldn't recommend trying with fresh pumpkin, though.

It's the filling I wasn't sure if I could find. :laugh: I just assumed they didn't sell them in Korea, but I guess I should shop around a little more haha

Does anyone know if Costco sells pumpkin pie?
I'm jonesing hardcore for it now and I'm going tonight.

Costco DOES sell pumpkin pie, but it's seasonal, and I don't know if they've started selling it already. I bought one in November last year to let my special-fun-fun class try pumpkin pie for the first time ever.

It's decent enough for a store-bought pumpkin pie. Let us know if it's there!

There is pumpkin pie at Costco already, and there is the canned Libby's pumpkin stuff at the foreign places. I just saw some yesterday.

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #1586 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »
Are anyone else's kids obsessed with the Pen Pineapple Apple Pen song? :huh:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1587 on: October 11, 2016, 12:05:23 PM »

YES! It's driving me crazy cuz i usually play english songs between class and they all want that song and even if i refuse they all just yell it anyways :'(

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1588 on: October 11, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

YES! It's driving me crazy cuz i usually play english songs between class and they all want that song and even if i refuse they all just yell it anyways :'(
And then my co-teacher continued by watching parodies..  :huh:

donovan

« Reply #1589 on: October 11, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »

And then my co-teacher continued by watching parodies..  :huh:

I just played it for students today. Is this the first step down a treacherous path? I already had youtube up because I was showing the "#HAPPYSEOUL" video and I had enough time at the end, so I gave into their request.  I was able to relate it to the unit though. "How does he feel?" "Happy!" "No, he feels PPAPpy!" :cheesy:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1590 on: October 11, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »

Yeah, I included it on a bingo card for "Have you ever..." and it has been consistently requested at the end of class. I only wish it were a longer time filler, to be honest...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1591 on: October 11, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
What the PPAP guy should do is just make variations of the same thing but with different fruits and such. Haha. The new additions will still have the same stupidly catchy beats and then we'll have more filler! Lol

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1592 on: October 11, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
My coT asked me to proofread the students' tests for next week.

She printed them on extra large paper... for less strain on my eyes... lol. Very considerate of her but I was rather bamboozled at first.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1593 on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
Are the hangeul versions of our names officially recorded anywhere?

I had to fill in a form this morning and I suddenly realised no one has ever told me the correct way of writing my surname.  I've always showed them how I think it should be.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1594 on: October 12, 2016, 11:56:01 AM »
Doubtful? In NEIS my name is in English as well as on all documents I've seen.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1595 on: October 12, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
Yeah, even for me, I have a Korean name but for anything official, it's always my name written in English. I don't think our names in Korean will ever actually be required for anything on an official level.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1596 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
Are the hangeul versions of our names officially recorded anywhere?

I had to fill in a form this morning and I suddenly realised no one has ever told me the correct way of writing my surname.  I've always showed them how I think it should be.

Your legal name is supposed to be as it is in your passport.

The only official document that my family has with our names in Korean script is our National Health Insurance card, and it only has our given names (2 and 3 characters each)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:50:15 AM by JNM »

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1597 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
Yea it doesn't come up very often but recently I had to fill in one of those consent to be checked for child sex offences and it asks for your name in hangeul and English (same for the Korean teachers too).

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1598 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »
I have nothing to say, but I feel like I need to get over my 500-post threshold today, so...

I've finally started watching Bojack Horseman, and it's become my guilty pleasure. I try to listen to it while working at my desk but I find myself not working as proficiently because I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one can see what I'm watching.

It would be too hard explaining this show here.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #1599 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I have nothing to say, but I feel like I need to get over my 500-post threshold today, so...

I've finally started watching Bojack Horseman, and it's become my guilty pleasure. I try to listen to it while working at my desk but I find myself not working as proficiently because I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one can see what I'm watching.

It would be too hard explaining this show here.
That show is a wild ride and yes, it's true what they say. If you didn't like the first few episodes, they get really amazing in episode 5 or 6. It's well worth watching through the unevenness of the first lot.

Amazing show and I'm going to be Bojack for Halloween. My GF will be Todd. hahaha