September 23, 2018, 04:10:49 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771336 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1560 on: October 10, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?? I've never attempted it so maybe it's easier than I imagine it to be but I miss pumpkin pie so badly. :sad:

If you get canned pumpkin filling it's easy as... well anyway, it's easy. They usually have a recipe right on the back. I wouldn't recommend trying with fresh pumpkin, though.

It's the filling I wasn't sure if I could find. :laugh: I just assumed they didn't sell them in Korea, but I guess I should shop around a little more haha

Does anyone know if Costco sells pumpkin pie?
I'm jonesing hardcore for it now and I'm going tonight.

Costco DOES sell pumpkin pie, but it's seasonal, and I don't know if they've started selling it already. I bought one in November last year to let my special-fun-fun class try pumpkin pie for the first time ever.

It's decent enough for a store-bought pumpkin pie. Let us know if it's there!

Do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?? I've never attempted it so maybe it's easier than I imagine it to be but I miss pumpkin pie so badly. :sad:

Also, you are not human if you think lemon curd is disgusting. :P

I do sometimes -- it's very easy, imo, and those green pumpkins that Korea sells all over work just fine if you can't find the canned crap.

Also:

I just... don't understand. Lemon curd is the best.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1561 on: October 10, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

I will cry literal tears of joy if I can get my hands on some pumpkin pie.
Same here. I don't have a Costco card but I'm thinking of lurking outside a Costco and asking a foreigner to buy some for me if I give them the money for it, like a teenager trying to get beer or something haha.

donovan

« Reply #1562 on: October 10, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »

Same here. I don't have a Costco card but I'm thinking of lurking outside a Costco and asking a foreigner to buy some for me if I give them the money for it, like a teenager trying to get beer or something haha.

Perhaps you could track down a teenage Costco customer and offer Marlboros in return~ :angel:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1563 on: October 10, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
I wouldn't recommend trying with fresh pumpkin, though.
Why would you say that?

The little bit of extra effort of baking/roasting your own pumpkin and processing the flesh to make the filling is well worth it.

My wife has been making it from scratch since arriving here and can't imagine ever going back to canned.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1564 on: October 10, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
donovan, your no jam picture really disturbs me every time I see it. For a split-second, I always think it's a bloody brain. :sad:

Edit: Just to clear things up, I'm not asking you to remove it and I haven't been triggered. :laugh:

donovan

« Reply #1565 on: October 10, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
donovan, your no jam picture really disturbs me every time I see it. For a split-second, I always think it's a bloody brain. :sad:

Edit: Just to clear things up, I'm not asking you to remove it and I haven't been triggered. :laugh:

Funny.. it's the leftover jam Kyndo brought to my Thanksgiving potluck last year... :shocked:

I wouldn't recommend trying with fresh pumpkin, though.
Why would you say that?

Why, you ask, Pecan? Because Nadia Arumugam said so, and she wrote an Article for Forbes in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2013/11/19/why-you-want-canned-pumpkin-for-a-better-pie-not-fresh/#5122d46458ec

But I've only heard as much. I've never actually tried making pumpkin pie completely from scratch before. It sounds like quite a bit more effort, but in Korean you might have to spend just as much effort finding the canned stuff. (I WAS able to find canned cranberry sauce at Garak Market, though~)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1566 on: October 10, 2016, 02:11:01 PM »
For those who are interested,

My wife and MIL are at Costco (sangbong) right now.

There is pumpkin pie. And apple.

All praise the God of Kirkland.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1567 on: October 10, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »

Perhaps you could track down a teenage Costco customer and offer Marlboros in return~ :angel:

Hahaha I am loving this plan. Might steal it for myself.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1568 on: October 10, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
I don't have a Costco card but I'm thinking of lurking outside a Costco and asking a foreigner to buy some for me if I give them the money for it, like a teenager trying to get beer or something haha.
You can either get a temporary guest pass or signup for a card.  If you get the temporary guest pass, any purchase you make has to paid for in cash, but it will allow you shopping privileges one time.  If you get a membership, after making your purchase, go and refund your card.

Either option will allow you to get your pie fix.

Alternatively, go to Costlove and order the pie and have it delivered to your doorstep.

If will cost more, but can be very convenient depending on where you live.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1569 on: October 10, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »
I just... don't understand. Lemon curd is the best.

I don't like lemon at the best of times, and the consistency of curd from what I've seen is very thick and slimy. Not a good combo for a flavor you're not fond of. xD

I'm going to make an orange and berry curd later this week, though -- hoping that it'll replace my jelly.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1570 on: October 10, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

You can either get a temporary guest pass or signup for a card.  If you get the temporary guest pass, any purchase you make has to paid for in cash, but it will allow you shopping privileges one time.  If you get a membership, after making your purchase, go and refund your card.

Alternatively, go to Costlove and order the pie and have it delivered to your doorstep.

I haven't heard of the temporary guest pass before but I'll definitely check that out! I'm willing to make a trip there for pie. Thank you for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:06:46 PM by chelseajk »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1571 on: October 10, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
D'van,

Never heard of Nadia.  Is she a pumpkin pie expert from India or what?

Not trying to convince you, but Korea is one of best places to make the filling from scratch due to the type of pumpkins/squash they have available.

Too many in the states that have failed made the mistake of trying to use a "jack o'lantern" style pumpkin.

Some people use powder potatoes, canned apple pie filling, and the like, and think it tastes great.

To each, their own.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1572 on: October 10, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
D'van,

Not trying to convince you, but Korea is one of best places to make the filling from scratch due to the type of pumpkins/squash they have available.

Too many in the states that have failed made the mistake of trying to use a "jack o'lantern" style pumpkin.

Some people use powder potatoes, canned apple pie filling, and the like, and think it tastes great.

To each, their own.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #1573 on: October 10, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
D'van,

To each, their own.

You mean the smaller green on the outside pumpkins?  I have had the instant pumpkin soup sold here before.  It's pretty good.  But, I've never known for sure how to make pumpkin.  You cut it up and boil it like mashed potatoes? 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1574 on: October 10, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
I can see Korean pumpkins having a good texture for pie.

I find the tempura style variant quite to my liking.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1575 on: October 10, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »

You mean the smaller green on the outside pumpkins?  I have had the instant pumpkin soup sold here before.  It's pretty good.  But, I've never known for sure how to make pumpkin.  You cut it up and boil it like mashed potatoes?

I believe you can boil or bake it. Just as one can with potatoes, yes.

donovan

« Reply #1576 on: October 10, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »

Those (the little green Korean "sweet pumpkins") are good just cut up into quarters and baked with a dollop of butter or olive oil, maybe some herbs sprinkled atop. I'm guessing these are the same ones Pecan would recommend for pumpkin pie filling as well.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1577 on: October 10, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
D'van,

To each, their own.

Yeah I've seen plenty of fine looking gourds in Korea. Plus, apparently the Libby stuff is some sort of proprietary squash anyway...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1578 on: October 10, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »
I don't have a Costco card but I'm thinking of lurking outside a Costco and asking a foreigner to buy some for me if I give them the money for it, like a teenager trying to get beer or something haha.

What is this Costlove you speak of?? It's a hassle for me to go to Costco so if I can have a pie delivered to me, I would be a happy woman indeed.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1579 on: October 10, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Costlove.com?