September 22, 2018, 12:02:21 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 770294 times)

Offline Nick P

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
We were given milkshakes in little pouches after lunch, so, that's dope.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2015, 02:01:41 PM »
I have to go to a hweshik after work today. I really don't want to, but my Friday school is out in the middle of BFE and my ride is going, so I don't have much choice. I don't drink alcohol or eat meat or fish, so in all likelihood this means I'll be sitting in awkward silence trying to make a bowl of plain white rice last me for the duration of the get-together.

I tried being the dutiful employee by continuing to go to all the hweshiks for a while even after my new dietary restrictions began, but I eventually couldn't take it anymore, so I told my main school I wasn't doing them anymore. I'm at four new schools this year, though, which up until now had meant I wasn't really part of the in-crowd enough to be invited along on any so far. I've got one now, though, so for the future I think I need to devise an escape plan.

Ugh.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
I have to go to a hweshik after work today. I really don't want to, but my Friday school is out in the middle of BFE and my ride is going, so I don't have much choice. I don't drink alcohol or eat meat or fish, so in all likelihood this means I'll be sitting in awkward silence trying to make a bowl of plain white rice last me for the duration of the get-together.

I tried being the dutiful employee by continuing to go to all the hweshiks for a while even after my new dietary restrictions began, but I eventually couldn't take it anymore, so I told my main school I wasn't doing them anymore. I'm at four new schools this year, though, which up until now had meant I wasn't really part of the in-crowd enough to be invited along on any so far. I've got one now, though, so for the future I think I need to devise an escape plan.

Ugh.

seems like all your problems could be solved if you drank beer and eat meat and fish. Food for thought  8)
Open your mind.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »

seems like all your problems could be solved if you drank beer and eat meat and fish. Food for thought  8)

But then that would introduce the problem of the crippling joint pain I'd get from the gout attacks I'd trigger by drinking beer and eating meat and fish. Gotta choose your battles, and I tend to choose the ones that don't feel like someone is trying to pry off my toes with a white-hot knife.  :laugh:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
We were given milkshakes in little pouches after lunch, so, that's dope.

Niice! I got these waffle ice cream creations that were amazing. Perks to working in the teachers office, yo!

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »
I'm missing the usual friday waygook fun because I have to teach make up classes that were cancelled due to mers  :rolleyes:

this takes my total number of classes this week up to 30

gin, i need gin

I'll share my gin with you! I have 31 every week normally, but two got canceled today!  ;D ;D

Also, since this is pointless ramblings:

I have a facebook friend (who is really just an ex-co-worker, who would have been long forgotten if it wasn't for social media).  She's been pregnant for what feels like 2 years now.  I'm not just saying this as a joke.  I remember sitting on a beach on vacation in the summer of 2013 and first finding out about her pregnancy.  I found it odd that anyone would get her pregnant.  I looked, and apparently I'm not mixing things up.  She didn't already have that kid and is now having another one.  IT'S THE SAME ONE, as far as I can tell!  And she's been "just a few days away!" since about February, so even if I'm wrong your belly isn't giant and you don't pack a bag for the hospital starting in month 4 or 5.  She posts lots and I thought about blocking her, but I really want to see how this plays out.  She posts pics of her belly and the ultrasound and whatnot. She has looked ready to burst since Christmas.  Her close friends and family seem to be really supportive and excited on the messages.  Her bf/husband is has been putting together baby furniture and toys for over a year now. I just wonder if any of these people know how pregnancy works. 

I'm just really confused.  I've had several other friends who have tried to get pregnant, gotten pregnant, had the baby and are now sending that kid off to pre-school in the time this one lady has been carrying around her 'kid'.

So this friend is still posting pics of "ALMOST THERE!" so I decided to just look back a bit through her page, just to get a handle on the timeline here.  6 weeks ago she was "3 WEEKS AWAY!"

That's as far back as I went.  I have no idea what's happening.  But her newest pic is of her husband finally finishing the crib.  So it's not like she's alone and making this all up.  I.....don't understand.

I am OBSESSED with this story.

Offline 외계인

• Expert Waygook
  • "I would prefer not to."
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
I'm missing the usual friday waygook fun because I have to teach make up classes that were cancelled due to mers  :rolleyes:

gin, i need gin
Yay! That's 8 classes over your regular 22, so 160000 won extra cash!  You can buy a lot of gin for that, especially if it's that ropey stuff with the white label for 7000 won.

I'm sure there will be no overtime pay, they are makeup classes
Classic rookie mistake.

Over 22 hours = get paid more.  That's pretty much all there is to it.

Yes technically. But the classes were cancelled due to mers. I would be surprised if the school didn't try to wiggle their way out of paying overtime

Yeah, you are required to teach 22 hours a week. 

So what if classes were cancelled.  It doesn't matter.  You receive overtime for anything over 22. Make-up class is just some BS that you apparently already bought into.

Schools cant shave a day or an hour here and there and just save them for later.  Imagine if schools could just schedule us 21 teaching hours a week, save the extra hours then expect us to teach vacation camps for free or something like that.

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »

gin, i need gin
Yay! That's 8 classes over your regular 22, so 160000 won extra cash!  You can buy a lot of gin for that, especially if it's that ropey stuff with the white label for 7000 won.

Classic rookie mistake.

Yes technically. But the classes were cancelled due to mers. I would be surprised if the school didn't try to wiggle their way out of paying overtime
Like I said.  Rookie mistake.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Today in my one-on-one English classes with the principal. He casually mentioned that he drank too much last night and has a headache. We laughed together for longer than was probably realistic.

I didn't mention that I felt a similar way  :P (only a slight one for me)

*Also how cool is that, that the man is so open about it? Hat's off to you sah for creating a homely and welcome Work Environment.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »

gin, i need gin

Classic rookie mistake.

Like I said.  Rookie mistake.

They were afterschool classes so i will get paid extra kind of...
I didnt teach them 2 weeks ago so I technically would have missed out on the money then, so this just makes up the money.
So basically I'll get the same amount of extra pay that i usually get but I just had to cram 2 weeks worth of classes into 1 which kinda sucked. but oh well, weekend! gin!

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
This seems like the best place to post this.

Friday, 4pm.

Head of English: "Camp isn't interesting enough. Change everything." (Said in Korean to my very nice co-t).

2 weeks ago I explicitly asked him "Exactly what do you want in a camp? Please be specific so I can make it correctly." I got a vague response about a theme for one of the days. Now apparently everything is wrong.

Who thinks this is a good management style?!

Offline purpleradish

• Veteran
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »

I have a facebook friend (who is really just an ex-co-worker, who would have been long forgotten if it wasn't for social media).  She's been pregnant for what feels like 2 years now.  I'm not just saying this as a joke.  I remember sitting on a beach on vacation in the summer of 2013 and first finding out about her pregnancy.  I found it odd that anyone would get her pregnant.  I looked, and apparently I'm not mixing things up.  She didn't already have that kid and is now having another one.  IT'S THE SAME ONE, as far as I can tell!  And she's been "just a few days away!" since about February, so even if I'm wrong your belly isn't giant and you don't pack a bag for the hospital starting in month 4 or 5.  She posts lots and I thought about blocking her, but I really want to see how this plays out.  She posts pics of her belly and the ultrasound and whatnot. She has looked ready to burst since Christmas.  Her close friends and family seem to be really supportive and excited on the messages.  Her bf/husband is has been putting together baby furniture and toys for over a year now. I just wonder if any of these people know how pregnancy works. 

I'm just really confused.  I've had several other friends who have tried to get pregnant, gotten pregnant, had the baby and are now sending that kid off to pre-school in the time this one lady has been carrying around her 'kid'.

So this friend is still posting pics of "ALMOST THERE!" so I decided to just look back a bit through her page, just to get a handle on the timeline here.  6 weeks ago she was "3 WEEKS AWAY!"

That's as far back as I went.  I have no idea what's happening.  But her newest pic is of her husband finally finishing the crib.  So it's not like she's alone and making this all up.  I.....don't understand.

Same! Very curious.
Do you think she has had recurrent miscarriages? May she was really pregnant 2 years back, but then lost the baby and had to start over again.
Or, given the stigma against adoption, maybe she's in the process of adopting a baby and trying to make it look like it's her own! But that sounds quite a bit more over the top...

Keep us in the loop.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:45:16 PM by purpleradish »
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »

Same! Very curious.
Do you think she has had recurrent miscarriages? May she was really pregnant 2 years back, but then lost the baby and had to start over again.
Or, given the stigma against adoption, maybe she's in the process of adopting a baby and trying to make it look like it's her own! But that sounds quite a bit more over the top...

Keep us in the loop.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure when I first read about her pregnancy.  Now that I think about it, it might have been the wedding that surprised me 2 years ago.  BUT she has definitely been 'pregnant' for over a year now.  I remember talking to another of our ex-co-workers about it last June (it was at the start of the World Cup).  She's had a HUGE belly since at least Christmas, so I don't think it's a matter of miscarriages, and I don't think she'd do all this instead of saying it's an adoption. 

I'm genuinely confused.  I don't mean to mock this woman, but we're not nearly close enough for me to ask.  I just scroll through facebook and wonder on my own.  I haven't talked to any other ex-co-workers about it recently, either, because honestly I don't think about it much off the computer. 

I'll keep you guys updated.  I'm hoping for a big healthy baby, there's no ill intentions on my part!

Offline purpleradish

• Veteran
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

Same! Very curious.

Keep us in the loop.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure when I first read about her pregnancy.  Now that I think about it, it might have been the wedding that surprised me 2 years ago.  BUT she has definitely been 'pregnant' for over a year now.  I remember talking to another of our ex-co-workers about it last June (it was at the start of the World Cup).  She's had a HUGE belly since at least Christmas, so I don't think it's a matter of miscarriages, and I don't think she'd do all this instead of saying it's an adoption. 

I'm genuinely confused.  I don't mean to mock this woman, but we're not nearly close enough for me to ask.  I just scroll through facebook and wonder on my own.  I haven't talked to any other ex-co-workers about it recently, either, because honestly I don't think about it much off the computer. 

I'll keep you guys updated.  I'm hoping for a big healthy baby, there's no ill intentions on my part!

To be honest, the more you describe it, the more it does sound like a miscarriage. The first 3 months of pregnancy are the most at risk for miscarrying. If it was a year ago in June, that still would've given her time to post ultrasounds, share the news with friends, then, get pregnant again and be due 9 months later. That's my guess. Haha ^^
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »

You never know. Jackie Chan claims to have been in the womb for 12 months, and to have weighed 12 pounds after finally being delivered via cesarean. Maybe your friend is just incubating the world's next great action movie star.

Offline tikleme_elmo

• Veteran
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »
Doing one of my favorite activities with one of my favorite classes. One of the awesome students got excited while playing the "chair game" and stabbed me right in the eye with her nimble little fingers. I had uncontrollable watering and redness for the remainder of the class. Hurt like hell, but I really felt bad for the student because she obviously felt terrible about it.

Teaching can be painful sometimes...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:09:32 PM by tikleme_elmo »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
Exam week has rolled around and while on Monday I got to go home, as all the teachers had teachers training, today I'm one of the 4 teachers still at school. I could get so much stuff done. I have to move apartments in August but I have no time to go look at them and I have to find it myself. My school last year always let me go home during this time. I live so far from my school too and so much to do after school today. I've already planned out my camps and prepared for a language exchange meeting for tonight. SO BORED. Can't watch anything due to the other teachers in the office.

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »

I'm kind of tired of Koreans refusing to say my name as I say it. Some say, the way I say it makes it sounds like a girls name, but I don't sit there and change their names to suit my wishes.   :undecided:

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
Today, 8:45am

Co-teacher: Let's change the schedule for today.
Me: What?
Co-teacher: We must finish the book!
Me: The book should have been finished a long time ago. 
Co-teacher: We have been busy in my classes.
Me: Doing what? 
Co-teacher: BUSY!
Me: Well, I've been the only one doing the book the last 2 weeks, and I did the speaking and written tests in my class.  I told the kids today, our last full class together, could be movie day.  It's part of their reward system, too.  You agreed to this.  It's all set up and ready to go.
CT: Hmmmm....We must change the schedule today.  We need to finish the book.
Me: What did you do with them yesterday?  Why didn't YOU finish the book yesterday? 
CT: SO BUSY!
Me: Doing what exactly?
CT: We must change the schedule for today.  You should prepare a review game, too. 
Me: I can't just make a whole review game in 5 minutes. 
CT: You said you have review games!
Me: No.  We have new books this year, and I said I could throw one together next week if we have random classes. 
CT: Good.  So, book and then review game. 
Me: THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
Today, 8:45am

Co-teacher: Let's change the schedule for today.
Me: What?
Co-teacher: We must finish the book!
Me: The book should have been finished a long time ago. 
Co-teacher: We have been busy in my classes.
Me: Doing what? 
Co-teacher: BUSY!
Me: Well, I've been the only one doing the book the last 2 weeks, and I did the speaking and written tests in my class.  I told the kids today, our last full class together, could be movie day.  It's part of their reward system, too.  You agreed to this.  It's all set up and ready to go.
CT: Hmmmm....We must change the schedule today.  We need to finish the book.
Me: What did you do with them yesterday?  Why didn't YOU finish the book yesterday? 
CT: SO BUSY!
Me: Doing what exactly?
CT: We must change the schedule for today.  You should prepare a review game, too. 
Me: I can't just make a whole review game in 5 minutes. 
CT: You said you have review games!
Me: No.  We have new books this year, and I said I could throw one together next week if we have random classes. 
CT: Good.  So, book and then review game. 
Me: THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS.
Your co-teacher sounds like a crazy nutball.