December 15, 2018, 04:26:24 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 852471 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1260 on: September 19, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
So, as I bet is common with a lot of our students, many/most of my students feel the unholy compulsion to scream HELLO in my face in English whenever they see me, especially the 1st/2nd graders (I guess when you turn 15 is around the time you realize it's not chill to scream in people's faces). Maybe this is cute with young kids, but most of mine are right around my height, so they're really screaming in my ears.

Lately it's been really grating on me. I used to just be kind of like whatever, they're excited to see me, that's nice, but now I'm just like JESUS PLEASE STOP. So, I've been trying to explain to some of the kids gradually that even though it's great they're speaking English, they don't need to scream it.

Today I was accosted by a bunch of my second graders on my way to their class all screaming HELLO and I just stood there and waited for them to stop. Once they had, I tried to explain why you don't scream in people's faces, but they weren't getting it....

...Until I yelled HELLO at them, and one was so surprised she jumped back and covered her ears. I gestured at them, and then myself, and they said ohhhh I understand now teacher.

Here's hoping lol  ;D

We must hope.

I try not to encourage loud noises, unless it's an intentionally loud activity (gross). Most of the kids seem to have picked up on the relatively calm atmosphere. It's nice.

I do my best,  but the kids in my school seem exceptionally hyper, or else in all their other classes excessive amounts of noise are tolerated. This happens in the halls though, not typically in the classroom haha

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1261 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
Trying not to fret over a recent situation and trying to keep myself distracted and busy...but no classes this afternoon is leaving me bored and slightly anxious :(

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1262 on: September 20, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
My coteacher spent an entire period talking about the earthquakes in Gyeongju and the kids were just falling asleep.  What a waste of time. Nice to get a bit of a break but SNORE.

YoungMin

« Reply #1263 on: September 20, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Just had a powerade and now my teeth are blue. Daresn't smile for the rest of the day. :blank:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1264 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »
The world map in my classroom has three Denmarks. And a Beurort Sea.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1265 on: September 20, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Just received a water bill with a grand total of... 0.00. My coworker jokingly accused me of not showering and then I remembered that the bulk of that billing period was when I was gone on vacation.

...still doesn't account for the rest of the month though...

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1266 on: September 20, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
Just received a water bill with a grand total of... 0.00. My coworker jokingly accused me of not showering and then I remembered that the bulk of that billing period was when I was gone on vacation.

Don't worry, next billing cycle will be 200 000W.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1267 on: September 20, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
The world map in my classroom has three Denmarks. And a Beurort Sea.

Mine boasts the Colosseum residing in Egypt and Dokdo being bigger than the UK.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1268 on: September 20, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »

Just paid my summer phone bill, it was 200,000w.  Some of that was expected but I stupidly got hit with extreme roaming charges while on vacation.

Just seeing the number makes me angry.  >:(

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1269 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
 :huh: Yikes, glad I sprung for a temporary simcard while back home.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1270 on: September 21, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »

I frequently have W 0,000 electric bills, even when not on vacay.  Apparently I just sit in the dark.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1271 on: September 21, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »

Just paid my summer phone bill, it was 200,000w.  Some of that was expected but I stupidly got hit with extreme roaming charges while on vacation.

I just found this out for my last vacation, but you can turn your services off for the time that you are gone so that you don't get those charges. It turns off all SMS and calling capabilities, but if you get wifi, its all fine. So for the month I was gone, I think my bill was 10k. I just called in at the airport to turn it off and back on.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1272 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
I have this really pain in the ass student in one of my low-level classes named Donghun. He actually participates in class sometimes, which is good, but he's a super loud class clown so he's always causing a distraction or just being generally irritating. He was the first student I learned the name of because he's always yelling out "I'm Donghun!!!" in class

Today he came up to me while I was preparing to teach another class, and he asked Teacher, am I handsome? I thought about it for a second and said "Donghun, you're annoying"

He's low-level so he had no idea what it meant, but one of my high-level students who was studying near where we were started laughing. He demanded that she tell him what I said in Korean, and I just said, hey, Donghun, if you actually study English then you'll be able to understand what I say! (Of course, he didn't understand that either, and demanded again to the high-level girl to tell him what I said)

Another student got curious what all the fuss was about and came over and asked me, so I told him, and he burst out laughing too. Donghun got even more flustered but this boy wouldn't tell him the meaning of what I said either, and just laughed at him for being stupid and not studying.

Eventually another student from the sidelines just said simply in Korean to Donghun that what I said has a "not good meaning". The other students who had overheard all confirmed that everyone thinks Donghun is annoying, and I told them about his "I'm Donghun!!!" routine. They said he does that in all his other classes too.

Donghun stalked off with his friend. I almost felt bad for him, but he's seriously such a pain in the ass...and if he had studied his vocab for this chapter he would've known what I said too :p (We learned "annoying" this week)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1273 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
I have this really pain in the ass student in one of my low-level classes named Donghun. He actually participates in class sometimes, which is good, but he's a super loud class clown so he's always causing a distraction or just being generally irritating. He was the first student I learned the name of because he's always yelling out "I'm Donghun!!!" in class

Today he came up to me while I was preparing to teach another class, and he asked Teacher, am I handsome? I thought about it for a second and said "Donghun, you're annoying"

He's low-level so he had no idea what it meant, but one of my high-level students who was studying near where we were started laughing. He demanded that she tell him what I said in Korean, and I just said, hey, Donghun, if you actually study English then you'll be able to understand what I say! (Of course, he didn't understand that either, and demanded again to the high-level girl to tell him what I said)

Another student got curious what all the fuss was about and came over and asked me, so I told him, and he burst out laughing too. Donghun got even more flustered but this boy wouldn't tell him the meaning of what I said either, and just laughed at him for being stupid and not studying.

Eventually another student from the sidelines just said simply in Korean to Donghun that what I said has a "not good meaning". The other students who had overheard all confirmed that everyone thinks Donghun is annoying, and I told them about his "I'm Donghun!!!" routine. They said he does that in all his other classes too.

Donghun stalked off with his friend. I almost felt bad for him, but he's seriously such a pain in the ass...and if he had studied his vocab for this chapter he would've known what I said too :p (We learned "annoying" this week)

I'm far from Teacher of the Year but this honestly seems really mean.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1274 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »

By all means, make the kid feel stupid. That'll teach him.  :rolleyes:

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1275 on: September 22, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »

It does seem mean but I am guilty of letting students get to me so much so that I now regret some things that I have said to them in the past. My first year teaching I had a faily high level class that was really social and just wanted to talk during my lectures. I would constantly have to shout their names out and tell them to be quiet so much so that they too learned the words rude, annoying, and ridiculous.

Not all kids are angels. Looking back on it I wouldn't have called them those things but I can definitely also remember being so frustrated and genuinely angry with them.

HEY AT LEAST I DIDNT PUNCH ANY OF THEM ^^

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1276 on: September 22, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »

It does seem mean but I am guilty of letting students get to me so much so that I now regret some things that I have said to them in the past. My first year teaching I had a faily high level class that was really social and just wanted to talk during my lectures. I would constantly have to shout their names out and tell them to be quiet so much so that they too learned the words rude, annoying, and ridiculous.

Not all kids are angels. Looking back on it I wouldn't have called them those things but I can definitely also remember being so frustrated and genuinely angry with them.

Yeah but to enlist other students to ridicule the kid? Come on.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1277 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »

I just found this out for my last vacation, but you can turn your services off for the time that you are gone so that you don't get those charges. It turns off all SMS and calling capabilities, but if you get wifi, its all fine. So for the month I was gone, I think my bill was 10k. I just called in at the airport to turn it off and back on.

Thanks I may try that next time.

I actually got a travel data plan at the SK shop at the airport but I guess I went over the daily limit too often and made a few long distance phone calls which pushed the cost up exponentially. I should've been more careful of course but I was on vacation and I had forgotten my bag of f*cks back here in Korea. I didn't expect it to be that much though.

I'm definitely caring now though, as the summer vaca phone AND credit card bills came in, so be careful out there kids.  :wink:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1278 on: September 22, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »

Nobody is calling kids angels, and sometimes not having control of the classroom is not your fault. But teaching is not about having control of the classroom every second, it's making sure the kids ingest the content of the lesson. If they don't, chances are there was something you should have done differently. Try to improve upon yourself and not let the kids get to you. And remember everything you say around them is an example for them.

Also, nobody's impressed you didn't assault any children.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1279 on: September 22, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »

Yeah but to enlist other students to ridicule the kid? Come on.

Yeah sorry Moonbrie I agree, but I imagine you weren't having the best day so benefit of the doubt.

I get it though, sometimes I have some of those kids that I just....I just want to see them like fall over or something, or drop their ice cream.  :laugh:

Anyway, these days I try to understand them. They aren't all massive a-holes and some have genuine problems. I know that's a bit cringey .