December 14, 2018, 06:16:32 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 851958 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1240 on: September 09, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
:P
Tips for getting pencil off desks easily? Trying to keep my damn classroom clean but the graffiti on the desks is getting ridiculous. Is there any magical substance besides erasing every desk....wet tissues are soso

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the students to do it. Preferably, the ones that did it.

Yeah, if my students have to sit in filth that's their problem.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1241 on: September 09, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
:P
Tips for getting pencil off desks easily? Trying to keep my damn classroom clean but the graffiti on the desks is getting ridiculous. Is there any magical substance besides erasing every desk....wet tissues are soso

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the students to do it. Preferably, the ones that did it.

Ahah yeah it's amazing how quick it disappears when you threaten to keep the kids there til it's all gone.

Online JenniferNZ1

• Adventurer
« Reply #1242 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
I am lucky in that my school has soap in the washrooms and cleaning cloths in the classroom.  I find a wet/damp cloth with soap on it works well. 

Offline coxy15

• Waygookin
« Reply #1243 on: September 10, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

Students' tears...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1244 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
So my class got interrupted by a surprise visit from some random sports people from the office of education-- they're scouting out elementary school students (5th and 6th graders) for middle schools.  :huh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1245 on: September 12, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
omg so as I've mentioned before, we have a really nice new principal - very caring, and likes to talk to me a lot (I still get nervous when I get called to her office though). She just came up while I was reading the ranting thread and was looking over my shoulder, but saying "Oh, can you really read it? it's so small!"

Anyways, I  have no plans for chuseok and I was hoping that she might invite me to do something (seemed likely given her personality), and after hearing I have no plans she asked for my phone number!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1246 on: September 13, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »

Students' tears...

One of my go to punishments is to have the kids clean the desks if they are caught writing on it. Not just their desk but all of them (or as many as they can in that 10 minute break.)

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1247 on: September 13, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
Happy Tuesday-Friday, everyone!  ;D

Online annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #1248 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
Some of us still have to work on Tuesday robin_teacher  :cry:
Have a good holiday though!

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1249 on: September 13, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
I'm at school right now, but I'm checked-out. Bring it on, students; I'm one step away from having a mojito in my hand.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1250 on: September 13, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
Tsukiji sushi, we will soon meet.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1251 on: September 13, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »

Students' tears...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:17:33 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1252 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
Most of us have to work on Fridays too, that's why today is like a Friday. After school we're freeeeeee!

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1253 on: September 13, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Most of us have to work on Fridays too, that's why today is like a Friday. After school we're freeeeeee!
What? You're working on the friday? Friday is a red day on my calendar. Insofar as I know, if you work for a public institution, you get the day off. Even most hagwons should be off too (most kids won't be around to make it in).

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #1254 on: September 13, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
I'm at school right now, but I'm checked-out. Bring it on, students; I'm one step away from having a mojito in my hand.

I feel the same. Ugh! Today is torture. I'm just holding out for the wine waiting for me at the finish line.
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Online gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #1255 on: September 13, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »

Students' tears...

I like this.

What? You're working on the friday? Friday is a red day on my calendar. Insofar as I know, if you work for a public institution, you get the day off. Even most hagwons should be off too (most kids won't be around to make it in).

I think they mean on average Fridays, most people have work, then the weekend, which makes today, a Tuesday, like a Friday.

Also just finished my last class at my rural school. Man these kids are great at this school. I should probably try and get some work done that I'll need by next week, but it's so tempting to just kick back and relax.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1256 on: September 13, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »

I think they mean on average Fridays, most people have work, then the weekend, which makes today, a Tuesday, like a Friday.

Also just finished my last class at my rural school. Man these kids are great at this school. I should probably try and get some work done that I'll need by next week, but it's so tempting to just kick back and relax.
I meant this. I don't English good anymore.

Online annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #1257 on: September 13, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »

Oh, I am checked out too.

Some did have Monday and Tuesday off though. :/

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1258 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »
My school has white boards. We have markers.
My CT insists on using chalk. Then yells at the kids when the chalk breaks.

I don't understand.

I just want to go home, cuddle up to my wife and watch the Walking Dead. Simple life, why must I require money in order to live...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1259 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:46 PM »
So, as I bet is common with a lot of our students, many/most of my students feel the unholy compulsion to scream HELLO in my face in English whenever they see me, especially the 1st/2nd graders (I guess when you turn 15 is around the time you realize it's not chill to scream in people's faces). Maybe this is cute with young kids, but most of mine are right around my height, so they're really screaming in my ears.

Lately it's been really grating on me. I used to just be kind of like whatever, they're excited to see me, that's nice, but now I'm just like JESUS PLEASE STOP. So, I've been trying to explain to some of the kids gradually that even though it's great they're speaking English, they don't need to scream it.

Today I was accosted by a bunch of my second graders on my way to their class all screaming HELLO and I just stood there and waited for them to stop. Once they had, I tried to explain why you don't scream in people's faces, but they weren't getting it....

...Until I yelled HELLO at them, and one was so surprised she jumped back and covered her ears. I gestured at them, and then myself, and they said ohhhh I understand now teacher.

Here's hoping lol  ;D