November 21, 2018, 01:48:14 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 816525 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1160 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
I wish there were a thread where people who went back home would post their success stories or tell things that worked for them.

I'm starting my 5th year in Korea.  I was here 2 years, went home, and then came back again.  I've made up my mind that this will be my last year here.  I like my school and I like this job.  It suits my skills and personality.

However, I'm getting older.  So are my parents and other family members.  I feel I lack meaningful personal relationships here.  Yes, I go to social events with other foreigners and have made some Korean friends.  It's just not the same.

I don't expect any replies to this, I just felt a need to express it.

Have a good week everyone.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1161 on: August 29, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
I wish there were a thread where people who went back home would post their success stories or tell things that worked for them.

I'm starting my 5th year in Korea.  I was here 2 years, went home, and then came back again.  I've made up my mind that this will be my last year here.  I like my school and I like this job.  It suits my skills and personality.

However, I'm getting older.  So are my parents and other family members.  I feel I lack meaningful personal relationships here.  Yes, I go to social events with other foreigners and have made some Korean friends.  It's just not the same.

That bit. I didn't come here right after college so though I'm not too old yet I'm not the age of most newly graduated people. While I enjoy the job and like my schools, I think what I'm realizing is that I want to find a job back home in order to spend time with family and close friends. My folks are only getting older. Only problem is I don't know what I want to do back home. I'm not necessarily interested in dealing with the educational system so I don't think I'd want to teach.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1162 on: August 29, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

That bit. I didn't come here right after college so though I'm not too old yet I'm not the age of most newly graduated people. While I enjoy the job and like my schools, I think what I'm realizing is that I want to find a job back home in order to spend time with family and close friends. My folks are only getting older. Only problem is I don't know what I want to do back home. I'm not necessarily interested in dealing with the educational system so I don't think I'd want to teach.
I am so with you there.  I was an elementary teacher back home, and I don't want to return to it.  It's not the kids, I can deal with them.  My problem is anal-retentive cowardly administrators and helicopter parents who think their child would never do anything wrong, or should be excepted from every rule.
I know I need a job that allows me autonomy and the means to buy a small house near my family. 

I'm researching options. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:13:46 AM by denimdaze »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1163 on: August 29, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »

I am so with you there.  I was an elementary teacher back home, and I don't want to return to it.  It's not the kids, I can deal with them.  My problem is anal-retentive cowardly administrators and helicopter parents who think their child would never do anything wrong, or should be excepted from every rule.
I know I need a job that allows me autonomy and the means to buy a small house near my family. 

I'm researching options.

So I guess it's the same back home? :sad:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1164 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
@yirgacheffe

I was in a rural district in southern Ohio.  I've not had these problems here in Korea, but I realize everyone's experience is different.  I'm sure there are good districts to teach in, I just wasn't in one of them.

Research top districts in the state you want, if you're interested in pursuing teaching in it.  It will most likely be one where the parents are professionals, realize the value of education, and push their kids to achieve.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1165 on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Golly, I have no idea what job I would do back home, and I don't want to go back to the area I was in, and I don't want to teach anymore. So I feels ya alls, I'm considering new options and I need the change, the challenge, the autonomy and the close to home.  No I just need to find what will give me those things + money.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1166 on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
Same here! I'm not really interested in returning to my old profession nor am I wanting to teach further. I just want a decent paying job that I kinda like (not gonna assume I'll find a job I love right off the bat) or to have good coworkers/management even if the work itself is just tolerable.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #1167 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
Same here! I'm not really interested in returning to my old profession nor am I wanting to teach further. I just want a decent paying job that I kinda like (not gonna assume I'll find a job I love right off the bat) or to have good coworkers/management even if the work itself is just tolerable.

I don't want to go back home either yet I feel like I am just spinning my wheels here.  I definitely don't want to go back to my podunk hometown in nowhere America.

I just want a job that pays decently that I like. 

I would love to work in the back of a museum doing whatever work that needs to be done but from preliminary research it seems that museum work is highly competitive and you have to deal with wages that might not be the best.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1168 on: August 30, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
Man friend: "We're going to a wedding"
Krissyboo75: "Okay I'll dress nicely but I want to change into comfortable clothes."
MF: "Just dress comfortably! I am! We are just stopping by!"
Me: "Well what are YOU wearing?"
MF: "No idea"
...Dress comfortably and going to a wedding don't really go in the same sentence for me.... But I'm guessing my friends "comfortable style" will be quite spiffy so not even sure...

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1169 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
Krissyboo75: "Okay I'll dress nicely but I want to change into comfortable clothes."
...Dress comfortably and going to a wedding don't really go in the same sentence for me.... But I'm guessing my friends "comfortable style" will be quite spiffy so not even sure...

I've been to a couple of weddings here and a lot of people just showed up in jeans and leggings. The most formal I saw outside of the bride/groom and their parents was business casual, but people pretty much just dressed how they wanted.

I dressed business casual, figured that was both comfortable and safe. Out-dressed at least half of the people there. xP

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1170 on: August 30, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »

I've been to a couple of weddings here and a lot of people just showed up in jeans and leggings. The most formal I saw outside of the bride/groom and their parents was business casual, but people pretty much just dressed how they wanted.

I dressed business casual, figured that was both comfortable and safe. Out-dressed at least half of the people there. xP
Will likely just do as I planned and wear a casual(ish) dress and change afterwards. I'm likely going to be the only foreigner there as well so as if I wont stand out enough....  :-[

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1171 on: August 30, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
So I saw a bunch of posts on my FB feed about Carly Rae Jepsen having a really awesome album out and I was kinda like, "dunno what all the fuss is about" but now that I've checked it out, I really rather dig it! Very... 80s nostalgic. And I dig 80s music  :laugh:

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1172 on: August 30, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »
I hope you are over-insured.

Out the wazzoo
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1173 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
I always seem to need to use the restroom around this time of day but get too lost in my work to make that trip before my coTs come to drag me off to lunch, so then I have to be mildly uncomfortable for about twenty minutes before I'll get to relieve myself.

But not today. Not this time.

Offline schnieppster

• Adventurer
« Reply #1174 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »
I always seem to need to use the restroom around this time of day but get too lost in my work to make that trip before my coTs come to drag me off to lunch, so then I have to be mildly uncomfortable for about twenty minutes before I'll get to relieve myself.

But not today. Not this time.

Ajumma smash = on point.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1175 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Apologies for being so early this week... or late for last week.

It occurred to me today when I was stuck in traffic that General Motors must not have thought it through too much when they re-badged Daewoo as Chevrolet.

The CH, the V, an R and an L.  The silent T rounds it out.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:18:34 AM by JNM »

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1176 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »
So I saw a bunch of posts on my FB feed about Carly Rae Jepsen having a really awesome album out and I was kinda like, "dunno what all the fuss is about" but now that I've checked it out, I really rather dig it! Very... 80s nostalgic. And I dig 80s music  :laugh:

I listened to it recently too; it's pretty good!

Check out Brandon Flowers' solo album "The Desired Effect" for another really good homage to the 80s.  The singles are so good (Lonely Town, Still Want You...)  8)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1177 on: September 02, 2016, 08:40:04 AM »
My headteacher just sent all of the teachers for a Dokdo flashmob exercise video. Pretty entertaining.

http://blog.naver.com/zzx3952/10175269549
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1178 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
Anyone else remember this terrible but totally catchy song.

"It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday. Party and party and yeah! Party and party and yeah! Fun, fun, fun, fun, looking forward to the weekend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1179 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
Been waiting for Saturday since Sunday. Almost here!