February 22, 2019, 09:53:43 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 902285 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1140 on: August 22, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
Looking over the school calendar and wondering how I'm supposed to cram in all the lessons with all the holidays and test dates  :huh:

YoungMin

« Reply #1141 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »
Looking over the school calendar and wondering how I'm supposed to cram in all the lessons with all the holidays and test dates  :huh:

I don't see a problem here.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1142 on: August 22, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »

Tell me about it, and my school has just informed me that they're taking away some of my teaching periods with my students each week to make room for an English conversation class for the teachers. The only way I can possibly finish the chapters they want covered before the final exam period now is to completely skip some sections that my school STILL prefers that I cover (originally they still expected me to cover them and I had to sit them down to show them, and create a graph and outline to show them that it wasn't possible -- seeing kids once every three weeks for only 45 minutes a session, and you want me to cover 8 sections from each chapter AND still have time for an activity? LOLNOPE).

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1143 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

I don't see a problem here.

Lol well I like having at least one free class at the end where I can just teach them (my middle schoolers anyway) new games.

Tell me about it, and my school has just informed me that they're taking away some of my teaching periods with my students each week to make room for an English conversation class for the teachers. The only way I can possibly finish the chapters they want covered before the final exam period now is to completely skip some sections that my school STILL prefers that I cover (originally they still expected me to cover them and I had to sit them down to show them, and create a graph and outline to show them that it wasn't possible -- seeing kids once every three weeks for only 45 minutes a session, and you want me to cover 8 sections from each chapter AND still have time for an activity? LOLNOPE).

And I've only got the calendar for ONE of my schools. Though I imagine it's gonna be similar for my other ones... and this isn't even including the inevitable random cancellations or shuffling of classes  :cry:

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #1144 on: August 22, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
I've been a user on this site since the beginning of last year and now I'm posting for the first time. Yay I guess?

I've been at this school for 6 months now and my coworkers are STILL talking about their precious and beloved previous teacher that was here for 2 years. Now I don't mind using him as an example when giving me advice such as a lesson plan for a certain chapter, but that's not how it is. It's more about just being bitter and trying to get me to be just like their perfect teacher. Even taking me to his favorite restaurant and ordering me his favorite food.

"Do you like bulgogi? Ok, I'll order it for you. It was the last teacher's favorite food. We came here all the time."

"Teacher, there is a dinner tonight. You should come."
"Sorry, I already have plans."
"But it is your duty! The last teacher came to dinner!"

"Teacher, we want to have weekend classes for 3 weeks next month. You should teach classes."
"Sorry, weekends aren't good for me. I'm pretty tired from the week and weekends are my free time."
"The last teacher did classes. So you should too."

That's nice. Good for him. I am NOT him! Get over it already!  :rolleyes:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1145 on: August 24, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
Not Friday yet but...

Disaster practice... always a laugh. They should only inform the teachers so the students aren't waiting for it an actually have a bit of shock when the alarm goes off.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1146 on: August 24, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »
Not Friday yet but...

Disaster practice... always a laugh. They should only inform the teachers so the students aren't waiting for it an actually have a bit of shock when the alarm goes off.

Lol yeah it just ended, and the teacher responsible for organising it at my school has been messaging the entire staff since we started school on Monday, but it's been planned since last semester. The kids knew it was happening as well; the afternoon classes were all cancelled so that they'd have plenty of time beforehand to set everything up. What a joke. Meanwhile, I just stayed in my classroom and played a game on my phone. :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1147 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »
Who is gonna tell Korea that it's unnecessary and unhealthy for long haired dogs to be shaved down to the skin in the summer? Vets, Naver, common sense all seem to be failing them.
Yeah, seeing those little shaven, spray-painted pomeranians with sunburns always makes me a bit sad.

Of course, it's also unhealthy to create dog breeds that deviate so far from their original body forms that they live in perpetual discomfort, have greatly reduced lifespans, and need oodles of assistance for basic things like mating, birthing, and grooming.

Unfortunately, when it comes to pets, people everywhere do very strange things -- things that are often incredibly detrimental to the animal.  :sad:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:33:44 AM by kyndo »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1148 on: August 26, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
Forgot it was Friday, keep thinking it's Thursday.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1149 on: August 26, 2016, 10:54:59 AM »
I think I'm over this teaching gig.  I just don't have it in me anymore.  I keep staring out the window and wondering when the day will be over.  The weather is nicer today, even though it's cloudy and a little rainy I like it.  I wish I was at home, on the couch, with a bottle of wine, watching the rain.  I wish it was raining more.  I miss the rain, I miss the smell and the charge in the air from a thunderstorm approaching from across the open fields of home.  I wonder why those little dogs need a pink tail.  Do they get embarrassed? I knew a dog once, she was my favourite dog.  One day the owner shaved her, she had long hair and it was a hot summer.  But she wasn't shaved down to the skin, just a trim really, but she lost all of her long locks and feathers, and she was embarrassed.  You could see it in her eyes when she came to visit me.  She hid behind her owner legs so I couldn't see her properly.  Her owner warned me she was embarrassed and that I shouldn't laugh when I see her.  I admit I giggled, but I felt bad so I gave the dog a hug and a pat to let her know it was alright.  I miss that dog.  We used to go for beers when the owner was away.  Beer gardens are the best, when the weather is warm and the beer is cold.  The dog seemed to agree.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:57:54 AM by welcomebackkotter »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1150 on: August 26, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I actually don't mind being back to school but this has been the longest week ever for some reason. I feel like last Friday was a month ago!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1151 on: August 26, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
I think I'm over this teaching gig.  I just don't have it in me anymore.  I keep staring out the window and wondering when the day will be over.  The weather is nicer today, even though it's cloudy and a little rainy I like it.  I wish I was at home, on the couch, with a bottle of wine, watching the rain.  I wish it was raining more.  I miss the rain, I miss the smell and the charge in the air from a thunderstorm approaching from across the open fields of home.  I wonder why those little dogs need a pink tail.  Do they get embarrassed? I knew a dog once, she was my favourite dog.  One day the owner shaved her, she had long hair and it was a hot summer.  But she wasn't shaved down to the skin, just a trim really, but she lost all of her long locks and feathers, and she was embarrassed.  You could see it in her eyes when she came to visit me.  She hid behind her owner legs so I couldn't see her properly.  Her owner warned me she was embarrassed and that I shouldn't laugh when I see her.  I admit I giggled, but I felt bad so I gave the dog a hug and a pat to let her know it was alright.  I miss that dog.  We used to go for beers when the owner was away.  Beer gardens are the best, when the weather is warm and the beer is cold.  The dog seemed to agree.

How long have you been teaching here? I haven't even been a year yet and I feel kinda meh about the teaching bit. Not that even I had high expectations for actually teaching English. I see myself as more of a "cultural ambassador." I do really like the students but I think the multiple schools thing is wearing me thin. Gonna do a 2nd year and hope I don't burn out before its end.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1152 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »

How long have you been teaching here? I haven't even been a year yet and I feel kinda meh about the teaching bit. Not that even I had high expectations for actually teaching English. I see myself as more of a "cultural ambassador." I do really like the students but I think the multiple schools thing is wearing me thin. Gonna do a 2nd year and hope I don't burn out before its end.

One might say "too long", but someone who measures time like a normal person would say about 3.5 years.  I think the 'over it' has been going on for around .4 of that time.  And yeh, it's not really 'teaching' anymore that turning on a tap is plumbing, we shouldn't kid ourselves too much.  Well, that may be a little harsh, but you know what I mean.  For me also, the students are (for the most part) pretty cool/cute but everything else has worn me thin.  I'm at that 'not sure what to do next' point.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1153 on: August 26, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
My vacation was a lot of fun (Japan for a week and China for a week), but I was on the go for the entire time and Iím still recovering from that. I came back to Korea on Tuesday and classes started Wednesday. In retrospect I probably should have given myself a day to just relax because Iíve been so tired I can barely see straight, but I felt like I was wasting vacation days just staying at home. However today is Friday and I plan on sleeping all weekend. :D

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1154 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
My vacation was a lot of fun (Japan for a week and China for a week), but I was on the go for the entire time and Iím still recovering from that. I came back to Korea on Tuesday and classes started Wednesday. In retrospect I probably should have given myself a day to just relax because Iíve been so tired I can barely see straight, but I felt like I was wasting vacation days just staying at home. However today is Friday and I plan on sleeping all weekend. :D

Haha I always feel exhausted after vacation because, like you, I feel like spending a day at home is a waste of my vacation day. I figure I'll just force my way through hell the first week back and then recharge during the first weekend of the semester.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1155 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:37 PM »
My school canceled all the subject classes this week. 3 days of no class wooh!
Planned everything for September and got two weeks of materials to coast on.

But, I've run out of podcasts. I literally went through a three hour one already...

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1156 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Just bought a car 2 weeks ago and I expected it to be interesting driving here, but Wow!! I was an idiot! Every day I see a driver do something that leaves me a little stunned at their numb-nutted audaciousness. What makes it worse is that most days I'm only driving 15min to work and back.

On the plus side, Korea still has the power to surprise...
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1157 on: August 26, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
I hope you are over-insured.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1158 on: August 29, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Posting in this thread today.

And here is my thought on that: If it smells like coffee when you pee, you're drinking too much coffee.

The weekend ended too soon. ;c

waywardtimelord

« Reply #1159 on: August 29, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
After just returning from vacation, this weekend was a haze of jet-lag and alcohol. Why alcohol? Because duty free shops. That's why.

I'm gonna go sleep on my desk.