November 19, 2018, 01:13:16 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814980 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1080 on: July 18, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »
I've become more tolerant of bugs and such critters since living in the countryside but I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate centipedes [inside my house]. I even had a nice little house spider that I let bum around in a corner because it never left its nest. Sadly I had to move it out because after an ant invasion I decided to spray bug repellent everywhere.

If they're outside, I could care less, but last night I had the joy of discovering a centipede IN my bedroom ceiling light. In horror, I watched it scurry around up there, decided that I didn't want to try removing the light to get it because dear god what if it fell on me or skittered off into some dark corner biding its time until I was asleep or whatever--

Then I remembered I had a can of bug spray. Sprayed all around the perimeter of the light, hoping for death. Centipede started going nuts, dashing all around inside the fixture until eventually ceasing movement altogether.

And there its body shall remain until the end of time.
Or at least until I move out or the light needs changing.

Omg I'm not sure if this is actually true but I've heard about how centipedes are like zombies and their dead bodies actually attract more so you might want to get rid of it.

Whether or not this is true, you just made the hairs on my body stand up. :cry: Also, I'm too scared to actually look it up.

Haha.  Aww, sorry.  I had a horrible infestation in my US apartment.  Centipedes and silverfish.  I'm still not sure exactly the difference but one is fast as hell and the other are slow like they actually want you to kill them.  Let me try to look up if the zombie thing is real.

I found "If you kill it by smashing or machete-ing, the smell (centipede blood?) can attract other centipedes, so be sure to thoroughly clean the area."

Also the Japanese keep centipedes as pets.  Sometimes I think they're weirder than Koreans.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1081 on: July 18, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
I've become more tolerant of bugs and such critters since living in the countryside but I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate centipedes [inside my house]. I even had a nice little house spider that I let bum around in a corner because it never left its nest. Sadly I had to move it out because after an ant invasion I decided to spray bug repellent everywhere.

If they're outside, I could care less, but last night I had the joy of discovering a centipede IN my bedroom ceiling light. In horror, I watched it scurry around up there, decided that I didn't want to try removing the light to get it because dear god what if it fell on me or skittered off into some dark corner biding its time until I was asleep or whatever--

Then I remembered I had a can of bug spray. Sprayed all around the perimeter of the light, hoping for death. Centipede started going nuts, dashing all around inside the fixture until eventually ceasing movement altogether.

Omg I'm not sure if this is actually true but I've heard about how centipedes are like zombies and their dead bodies actually attract more so you might want to get rid of it.

Whether or not this is true, you just made the hairs on my body stand up. :cry: Also, I'm too scared to actually look it up.

Haha.  Aww, sorry.  I had a horrible infestation in my US apartment.  Centipedes and silverfish.  I'm still not sure exactly the difference but one is fast as hell and the other are slow like they actually want you to kill them.  Let me try to look up if the zombie thing is real.

I found "If you kill it by smashing or machete-ing, the smell (centipede blood?) can attract other centipedes, so be sure to thoroughly clean the area."

Also the Japanese keep centipedes as pets.  Sometimes I think they're weirder than Koreans.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: That's creepy (the attracting other centipedes as well as keeping them as pets lol). Ugh, why do bugs have to exist. And if they really have to, why can't they be cute instead of scary and weird-looking. :cry:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1082 on: July 18, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
I also read that centipedes are pretty much completely harmless to humans and even eat other insects that are harmful!  Though they do also eat other centipedes, which seems creepy and unnatural.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #1083 on: July 18, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »

Reading this made me feel ill and so, naturally I went to google centipedes. This blog post is mostly anecdotal and while it made my skin crawl it made me laugh as well.

http://www.xojane.com/fun/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-house-centipedes

Read at your own risk. My stomach still hurts and now I have phantom bugs running over my toes!!  :laugh: :cry:
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline coxy15

• Waygookin
« Reply #1084 on: July 18, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »
I wish i hadnt read this damn thread. Im now too scared to put my feet under my desk just in case...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1085 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »

Reading this made me feel ill and so, naturally I went to google centipedes. This blog post is mostly anecdotal and while it made my skin crawl it made me laugh as well.

Read at your own risk. My stomach still hurts and now I have phantom bugs running over my toes!!  :laugh: :cry:

Ugh, I wasn't going to look it up myself but I can't resist links. I got the creepies more than the laughs. :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1086 on: July 18, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
The fact that they groom themselves makes me feel slightly bad... but whenever I see one I have too much of a panic-gotta-kill/dispose-of-it reaction.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1087 on: July 18, 2016, 02:47:43 PM »
The fact that they groom themselves makes me feel slightly bad... but whenever I see one I have too much of a panic-gotta-kill/dispose-of-it reaction.

Don't feel bad.  It's just something absolutely disgusting making itself slightly less disgusting.

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1088 on: July 18, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »

Ugh, I wasn't going to look it up myself but I can't resist links. I got the creepies more than the laughs. :cry:
There was one crawling around my room last week. My dog had been making weird noises and looking at something on the floor...I got up from the bed to see a huge one just crawling yuck. I think it took 10 hits with a shoe to kill it    :-[ Apparently mint is a good natural repellent so I'm going to buy some loose peppermint tea  to spread around very inch of the apartment.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1089 on: July 18, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »

There was one crawling around my room last week. My dog had been making weird noises and looking at something on the floor...I got up from the bed to see a huge one just crawling yuck. I think it took 10 hits with a shoe to kill it    :-[ Apparently mint is a good natural repellent so I'm going to buy some loose peppermint tea  to spread around very inch of the apartment.

I will buy an entire fucking forest of mints if it'll keep those devils away.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1090 on: July 18, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »

Don't feel bad.  It's just something absolutely disgusting making itself slightly less disgusting.

So, it IS exactly the same as a cat.

:p

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1091 on: July 18, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »

So, it IS exactly the same as a cat.

:p

Maybe they're what inspired the catbus in Totoro  :laugh:

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1092 on: July 18, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
what happened to the ranting/venting thread? it just disappeared.

did a mod delete it?
Yup. Towards the end some people criticized the mods for gagging users without an explanation, and deleting all the proof. That was probably why the thread was deleted. To be fair it was big thread that probably should've been closed earlier (like this one). I just don't like that it was deleted (instead of locked) in order to silence criticism of the mods. Mods are human and can make mistakes too, there's no shame in that, but there should be accountability. If we wanted censorship we probably would've all ended up in China instead of South Korea ^ ^

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1093 on: July 18, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
what happened to the ranting/venting thread? it just disappeared.

did a mod delete it?
Yup. Towards the end some people criticized the mods for gagging users without an explanation, and deleting all the proof. That was probably why the thread was deleted. To be fair it was big thread that probably should've been closed earlier (like this one). I just don't like that it was deleted (instead of locked) in order to silence criticism of the mods. Mods are human and can make mistakes too, there's no shame in that, but there should be accountability. If we wanted censorship we probably would've all ended up in China instead of South Korea ^ ^

what are you talking about? it wasn't deleted because of that at all...It was deleted automatically because the user who started the thread deleted their account. Here is rhannahbrown's post (she was the user who started the ranting/venting 2.0 thread)

Guys, relax. I asked Arsalan to delete my account and my posts because I felt like I had shared too much personal information and wasn't comfortable with it being on the internet. I had no idea in deleting my account, the threads I started would also be completely deleted instead of just my own posts in them.

I started the RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 2.0 thread and it is gone because my account is gone. I'm sorry that all your posts were deleted, I didn't know that would happen. It's not some government conspiracy. The mods aren't out to get you. Your free speech is not being squashed. It's all good!

Why are you spreading misinformation?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:22:57 PM by Imogen1991 »

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1094 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »
what are you talking about? it wasn't deleted because of that at all...It was deleted automatically because the user who started the thread deleted their account. Here is rhannahbrown's post (she was the user who started the ranting/venting 2.0 thread)

Guys, relax. I asked Arsalan to delete my account and my posts because I felt like I had shared too much personal information and wasn't comfortable with it being on the internet. I had no idea in deleting my account, the threads I started would also be completely deleted instead of just my own posts in them.

I started the RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 2.0 thread and it is gone because my account is gone. I'm sorry that all your posts were deleted, I didn't know that would happen. It's not some government conspiracy. The mods aren't out to get you. Your free speech is not being squashed. It's all good!

Yeah I didn't see that post. That is why I used the word "probably" :P

Where was that posted? That is the problem with huge posts like this one, it's really hard to keep track.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:52:03 AM by robobob9000 »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1095 on: July 19, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »

Yeah I didn't see that post. That is why I used the word "probably" :P

Where was that posted? That is the problem with huge posts like this one, it's really hard to keep track.

It's on page four of the new ranting thread. For future reference (and this is dependent on correct quoting), if you click on the blue link, it'll take you directly to the original post.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #1096 on: July 19, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »

Careful.  Mods are cracking down on circumventing profanity censors.  It's what set off the whole "chain of events" concerning me last Friday.

...Notice how all the comments by myself, kyndo, robobob9000, yourself, and Chinguetti that were even vaguely mentioning it in this thread have been deleted. :undecided:  I'm assuming this one will be as well, even though it doesn't break the TOS in any way.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1097 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
My summer camp starts tomorrow. I HOPE YOU'RE READY FOR ME, WORLD!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1098 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »

Careful.  Mods are cracking down on circumventing profanity censors.  It's what set off the whole "chain of events" concerning me last Friday.

...Notice how all the comments by myself, kyndo, robobob9000, yourself, and Chinguetti that were even vaguely mentioning it in this thread have been deleted. :undecided:  I'm assuming this one will be as well, even though it doesn't break the TOS in any way.

I didn't notice before but now I do.

I keep trying to get over the 300 post threshold, but it feels like I'll never make it. ;c

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1099 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »

Hey NomadicMadda, it says on my screen underneath your name that you've been 'muted'. What does that mena, do you know? FYI it wasnt anything I did. I've never seen that before so I'm curious.