December 11, 2018, 10:01:03 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 847194 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1000 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Exam week. Here's hoping the VP is in a good mood and will let me go early *fingers and toes crossed*

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1001 on: July 04, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
To use vacation time or to not use vacation time.... today through wednesday is finals at my school and on test days the teachers typically leave early, but I'll have to use my vacation time. Thus far I've been really staunchly avoiding using my vacation time on early leave, but considering that it'll be taken out of my winter vacation rather than my summer vacation and I probably won't have  much to do in the winter maybe it's worth it... I don't know.... what do you guys think?

(I know you don't lose a day of vacation until you've used 8 hours - I'm at 6 right now)

If you don't foresee having to take any more early leaves this year, just take an hour and a half, then. :P

I can't really "foresee" having to take early leaves haha. Also I don't really know what I'd do with my winter vacation anyways...

I personally wouldn't, as frustrating as it can be to stay when you really shouldn't need to.

Because last minute stuff always seems to come up on me, and at least you'd have that flexibility with more vacation days.

I decided to take early leave today of 2 hours - I mean, it's July 4th! (I'm American)
This leaves me just half an hour short of having used up a full vacation day so I'll have to make the difficult decision all over again tomorrow lol

When shit like this goes down, I open up the contract and point to the "principal may allow special leave etc" part and then if they refuse the offer of offering me to go home early free of charge then I make sure that I stay the full day and do absolutely nothing in plain sight for the next few days.

yeah but it says "principal may offer"....I seriously doubt my principal will offer haha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1002 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
It's finally happened! Someone dropped his phone overboard and lost it to a watery grave. The poor PE teacher, he's had horrid luck lately. I think this only happened because he broke his foot playing volleyball, so I imagine maneuvering on the ferry is a bit difficult with crutches.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1003 on: July 04, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »
The support staff at my school's camp must think I'm stupid. They explained that my class has eight students no fewer than four times this morning. I finally had to take one girl by the hand, look her in the eyes, and say, "I understand that there are eight students in my class. Don't worry about me. You can take care of something else now."

....and, just as I was writing this, she called. Can I go to X location and get a pair of speakers? Right now, even though I've been off the clock for two hours and am already snuggly in my pajamas and also we don't need them until tomorrow, anyways?

Oh, sorry, I'm washing my hair. ^___^

(I had her reschedule the driver to accommodate the extra five minutes this would take. It's almost 40 degrees out. I'm sorry, but I am done for the day!)

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1004 on: July 06, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
Do kids here actually go school?  Since I don't have a job right now, I'm able to be out and about anytime and just walked past a GS 25 with a bunch of girls in their school uniforms, it was just after 12.  Then when I got home, it was about 1245 and here's a boy in his school uniform trudging up the hill, there is no school, hagwon, or anything else in the vicinity a student would be going to, so I can only assume he was going home.  The schools I used to work at would release at 2 on wednesdays but it seems like I hear kids outside playing often earlier than that some days.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1005 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Do kids here actually go school?  Since I don't have a job right now, I'm able to be out and about anytime and just walked past a GS 25 with a bunch of girls in their school uniforms, it was just after 12.  Then when I got home, it was about 1245 and here's a boy in his school uniform trudging up the hill, there is no school, hagwon, or anything else in the vicinity a student would be going to, so I can only assume he was going home.  The schools I used to work at would release at 2 on wednesdays but it seems like I hear kids outside playing often earlier than that some days.

Well, right now is finals for most middle/high schools so they can leave school after lunch (although some may leave before lunch).

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1006 on: July 06, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Well, right now is finals for most middle/high schools so they can leave school after lunch (although some may leave before lunch).

I think it's the same for my elementary. The kids can go home after lunch if they don't have after school clubs, but there's some whose parents don't pay for school lunch, so they can leave before lunch. That's just for this week are they are preparing for the big tests.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1007 on: July 06, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »

I was unaware of that, and that makes sense since they all seemed to be about middle school age.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1008 on: July 06, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
Midterms, I think. Typically, the school year starts in March. :wink:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #1009 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
Shot through the heart
My name's Harambe
I am now
A dead ape (dead ape)
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1010 on: July 06, 2016, 02:26:59 PM »

\_(ツ)_/ my coteachers called them finals. anyways, what, then, should I call the midterms for the first semester? the mid-mid-terms? the quarter-terms?

....semi-mid-terms? half-mid-terms? the quarter quell?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1011 on: July 06, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
\_(ツ)_/ my coteachers called them finals. anyways, what, then, should I call the midterms for the first semester? the mid-mid-terms? the quarter-terms?

I'm partial to "quarter-finals".
:laugh:

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #1012 on: July 06, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »

Middle school has exams where the kids go home after lunch.  Maybe for a week.  Teachers often go home too.  But one afternoon might have a long teachers meeting.  Othrwise everyone leaves and most will let the waygook go home too.  A few anal schools will make them stay while all the other teachers go home just to be prick.  (Education Office says we should all stay, but most schools are nice enough to let us go home anyways.)  Elementary schools have one day a couple of times a year and everyone stays as far as I know.  I'm doing elementary school so no half days for me while some of my friends have them. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1013 on: July 06, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »

First semester mid-terms, first semester finals, second semester mid-terms, second semester finals...

That is what we call them in the US and what they call them in Korea, as well.

What do you call them where you are from?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1014 on: July 06, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

Middle school has exams where the kids go home after lunch.  Maybe for a week.  Teachers often go home too.  But one afternoon might have a long teachers meeting.  Othrwise everyone leaves and most will let the waygook go home too.  A few anal schools will make them stay while all the other teachers go home just to be prick.  (Education Office says we should all stay, but most schools are nice enough to let us go home anyways.)  Elementary schools have one day a couple of times a year and everyone stays as far as I know.  I'm doing elementary school so no half days for me while some of my friends have them.

lol apparently my school doesn't love me then because they make me use my vacation time to leave early during exams

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1015 on: July 06, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »

First semester mid-terms, first semester finals, second semester mid-terms, second semester finals...

Yep. In Korea each term (Spring or Fall) has an exam halfway through (mid-terms) , and then again before the vacation (finals). My Co-T wrote the latter on my calendar as "a term-end examination", but same thing.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1016 on: July 06, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »

I was poking fun at him for being condescending haha. Obviously I'd use the terms you just listed.

Although as I recall in high school, while we usually had semester-based midterms, we either just called it "a big test" or "midterms" .... and then we would have another "midterm" at the end of the semester lol (provided it was a year-long class and not a semester-long class, then it would be a final)

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1017 on: July 06, 2016, 06:17:56 PM »
I was poking fun at him for being condescending haha.
Don't make fun of my favourite pastime!  :cry:
Although as I recall in high school, while we usually had semester-based midterms, we either just called it "a big test" or "midterms" .... and then we would have another "midterm" at the end of the semester lol (provided it was a year-long class and not a semester-long class, then it would be a final)
I only ever had semester long classes, so we'd have mid terms and finals. Everything else was just "a test".
I know that my coworkers call the end-of-term-tests "finals", but I just can't bring myself to call 'em that myself. There was a bit of self-mockery in my condescending sounding comment.
But I *was* serious about my suggestion of "quarter finals". I think my students (middle-school boys) would be far more excited about things if all school-related events were renamed with sports related terms.
Class captain?       --> Quarterback.
Final exams?         --> Playoffs.
Detention?            --> Penalty box.
Warnings?             --> Yellow card.
Get out! ?             --> Red card.
NET?                    --> Assistant waterboy.
Lunchtime?           --> Scrimmage.
C level class?        --> Minor leagues.
Vocational school? --> Arsenal. (:wink:)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1018 on: July 06, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
Whomever recently said his/her students were frothing at the mouth, I think today I witnessed what could be similarly described as such-- but with grade 3 middle school boys.

The activity wasn't even noteworthy, it was just a memory matching game with a bunch of cards I'd made to make them practice the key expressions. But the boys were nearly screaming because they got so competitive about it.  :huh:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1019 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
Whomever recently said his/her students were frothing at the mouth, I think today I witnessed what could be similarly described as such-- but with grade 3 middle school boys.

The activity wasn't even noteworthy, it was just a memory matching game with a bunch of cards I'd made to make them practice the key expressions. But the boys were nearly screaming because they got so competitive about it.  :huh:

:laugh: I love when the kids go nuts over games. At my first school, my CT was a blackhole for all things fun. She would make the kids play quietly and if they took more than 2 seconds to choose a letter or a picture or whatever she would skip their turn. Sucked the fun out of everything. I hated her.