October 19, 2018, 04:52:52 AM

Author Topic: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation  (Read 53812 times)

Offline Billy

• Adventurer
Re: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »
Networking and becoming friendly with colleagues while drinking is an enormous part of Korean work culture.  It is expected. No one can argue that. Look at how universities ar operated here. Classes have been canceled at my school so the teachers can go hiking (bond) and then drink (bond again).
That alcohol is being outright banned should show you what they really think of you.
Koreans work hard and play hard. Telling you not to do the same while you are in Korea, training to work with Koreans, is ridiculous.
Foreigners defending the alcohol ban are simply trying way too hard to be ‘Super Waygooks’.

PS
If someone is drinking at 9am, tell them it’s not a music festival and drive to the airport if they argue.
If someone can’t make one of the (crushingly boring) talks or ‘get the foreigner to do some silly traditional Korean dance that 90% of Koreans have never even done’ events…drive to the airport.

Offline Aklost

• Waygookin
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »
Seriously, deal with it. If you can't do without alcohol for 3 days you need to go home. Its not belittling, its common sense. If anyones seen some of the worse off orientations you'd understand. Christ we had one drunk American begging people for weed.

Offline bern

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
At my first orientation some people got drunk and made an annoyance of themselves, others didn't need to drink to irritate everyone else.

However, at orientation plus for people who re-signed the co-ordinators and attendees were a lot more chilled out, and the sessions were a bit more useful. Nobody got hammered and I had some productive chats over a few drinks with other teachers in the evening.
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

Offline atmosphere

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »
I like a good drink as much as the next man, but I can easily go 2/3 days without one! Plus, aren't the start times like 8/9am? I don't really drink midweek anyway if I have work the next day.

Offline ruhungry4beans

• Waygookin
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
I am a drinker, but can't you just wait to drink in your own time and not during work-related things? A little self-control will do you much good =)

Offline OminousChris

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »
I haven't been to any orientations this year (not GEPIK) but when I worked near Seoul we had a similar, three-day event. There was no drinking allowed at the site itself but we were encouraged to check out the nightlife. Of course, we had a 1 a.m. curfew (which was almost unnecessary given the jet lag). The fact of the matter is this: banning alcohol on a work site is just sensible, even it the work site is just for orientation. However, telling adults that they're not allowed to have a couple drinks off-campus after work hours is belittling, but more telling of how this country views us. The fact that some people act like fools does indeed suck, but punishing everyone because of the actions of a few is stupid, especially when the GEPIK staff have the power to inform our schools individually.

And to the teetotalers tht this thread has drawn out: The point isn't that we're not allowed to drink, and I don't think anyone is arguing that we should be allowed to bring a liter of soju to the lectures. The point is that the ban is hypocritical and xenophobic when compared to how we're told to act in our schools. I've been chastised at school events because I didn't drink (it was 12 in the afternoon, for Thor's sake). So I don't think it's childish to assume that a similar view will be expressed at orientation.

On the other hand, we need some quality control up in here. If you act a fool -- drunken or otherwise -- at the orientation, meaning that you can't keep your head screwed on straight for THREE DAYS, then good luck scrounging up the money for your plane ticket back home. That should be the policy.

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »
so to all the "teachers" who think orientation (or korea in general) is some sort of frat party, let me express my utter hatred and contempt for you, your general unprofessionalism, and your inability to exercise proper conduct where it calls for it the most. GO THE F*CK HOME. some of us actually like it here and want to stay longer.

... and the Ks will throw you away on a whim and with less regard than a piece to toilet paper. After four years at my current public middle school, they've decided not to renew my contract next August because "...you are old, bald and serious teacher." The new principal has decided he wants a "young edutainer" i.e. 'dancing monkey'.  ::)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

twitch

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
from past experience, i can honestly say that the alcohol ban is a good thing.
i know, i know, we are all adults etc etc....
but the sad truth is (and i've seen this more than a few times) SOME of the net's just get hammered, are irresponsible, cause damage to the facilities, don't go to the seminars because they are too hungover.
it's embarrassing and pathetic.

if all of the net's were responsible and could "socially" drink and still be responsible enough to show up for the seminars, then i'm sure it would be no problem.  unfortunately, many many many net's in the past have spoiled it for us all. 

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
from past experience, i can honestly say that the alcohol ban is a good thing.
i know, i know, we are all adults etc etc....
but the sad truth is (and i've seen this more than a few times) SOME of the net's just get hammered, are irresponsible, cause damage to the facilities, don't go to the seminars because they are too hungover.
it's embarrassing and pathetic.

if all of the net's were responsible and could "socially" drink and still be responsible enough to show up for the seminars, then i'm sure it would be no problem.  unfortunately, many many many net's in the past have spoiled it for us all.

I understand that, and that this ban is the unfortunate outcome.

What I don't get is why they just don't fire those few who do.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline NZ4Life

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
so to all the "teachers" who think orientation (or korea in general) is some sort of frat party, let me express my utter hatred and contempt for you, your general unprofessionalism, and your inability to exercise proper conduct where it calls for it the most. GO THE F*CK HOME. some of us actually like it here and want to stay longer.

... and the Ks will throw you away on a whim and with less regard than a piece to toilet paper. After four years at my current public middle school, they've decided not to renew my contract next August because "...you are old, bald and serious teacher." The new principal has decided he wants a "young edutainer" i.e. 'dancing monkey'.  ::)
lol did they actually say "you are old, bald, and serious teacher?" you can be fun and serious teacher at the same time. def possible.

"the fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves [...]"

Offline jamlove

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
Personally I couldn't care about the lack of alcohol, I've noticed there are far too many people who treat this job as an extension of college. Grow up, suck it in and if you don't like the rules leave.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
Personally I couldn't care about the lack of alcohol, I've noticed there are far too many people who treat this job as an extension of college. Grow up, suck it in and if you don't like the rules leave.

Do you care about being treated like a child?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline NZ4Life

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »

Do you care about being treated like a child?

do you have a maturity complex or just take things personally way too often? like a lot of things in korea, decisions are made and rules are imposed because the "community is sick." as such, the "authorities" have deemed the community of orientation-attendees as "sick." i thank them for doing this because frankly, i'm tired of irresponsible GET's effing it up for the rest of us and making us look bad. i'd rather not give them the opportunity. i welcome anyone drink to drink themselves stupid but please, don't selflishly embarass the rest of us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:54:51 AM by xblindx »

"the fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves [...]"

Offline Davox

• Super Waygook
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
I just kinda shrug at all of these sorts of things.  Is it a deliberate insult/show of disrespect to NETs that they forbid any drinking (which they would never do for any Korean group) and require written permission for teachers to leave the grounds even just to go to the store?  Sure, of course it is, hugely so.  It's also completely understandable that they would do so, given what I've heard about previous years.  More to the point, if you can't get used to being casually insulted/disrespected (deliberately or accidentally), Korea is really not the country for you.   

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »

Hear hear, I am absolutely gob-smacked by the behaviour of the NET's I have the displeasure of sharing an apartment block with.  They go out partying EVERY night and return home 4 or 5 am, blind drunk and talking at the top of their voices and waking everyone who is asleep at that time.

They then have to teach a few hours later......... absolutely disgusting and unprofessional.  Why do people think they must get blind drunk and throw up all over the place in order to have fun? Beats me.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline jrwhite82

• Super Waygook
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
I think it's a good idea to ban it.  The past seminars were given so many chances. 

First they got hammered drunk and were breaking stuff.  So they stopped selling soju.  Then people were so hungover they missed seminars.  So then they started having sign-ins.  Next, some teachers ignored quiet hours and left trash everywhere in common areas.  So they banned it. 

Is it everyone?  No.  But its enough people that action has to be taken against the entire group. 

It is NOT some kind of xenophobic/racism/hypocritical discrimination.  It is based on the FACT that a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Think about your classroom when YOU start teaching.  You have a rowdy table that is playing with something annoying.  First thing you do is you take it away.  Now they are talking and disrupting the class.  You move their seats.  Next, everytime you turn your back, they throw papers at each other and the room is a mess.  Since you can't prove who did it because your back was turned, you make the whole class clean it up. 

This is not some kind of xenophobic hypocricy.  The decision to ban alcohol makes sense because EVERY time in the past, enough teachers have proven to be incapable of using moderation and self control.  It wasn't everyone, but it was enough people that this is good decision.  Trust me on that. 

When you start teaching, things will happen in your classroom where you have to punish an entire class for the actions of a few.  You will have to plan whole class activities that accomodate a handful of students.  This is the same thing.  You do it to provide the best learning opportunities for your students.  GEPIK is doing the same thing here. 

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »
As an alcoholic I need my booze! Is booze legal or illegal in Korea? If its legal why ban it?

Adam

Wonderful example as a teacher you are setting !!!!
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Pin

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
I think it's a good idea to ban it.  The past seminars were given so many chances. 

First they got hammered drunk and were breaking stuff.  So they stopped selling soju.  Then people were so hungover they missed seminars.  So then they started having sign-ins.  Next, some teachers ignored quiet hours and left trash everywhere in common areas.  So they banned it. 

Is it everyone?  No.  But its enough people that action has to be taken against the entire group. 

It is NOT some kind of xenophobic/racism/hypocritical discrimination.  It is based on the FACT that a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Think about your classroom when YOU start teaching.  You have a rowdy table that is playing with something annoying.  First thing you do is you take it away.  Now they are talking and disrupting the class.  You move their seats.  Next, everytime you turn your back, they throw papers at each other and the room is a mess.  Since you can't prove who did it because your back was turned, you make the whole class clean it up. 

This is not some kind of xenophobic hypocricy.  The decision to ban alcohol makes sense because EVERY time in the past, enough teachers have proven to be incapable of using moderation and self control.  It wasn't everyone, but it was enough people that this is good decision.  Trust me on that. 

When you start teaching, things will happen in your classroom where you have to punish an entire class for the actions of a few.  You will have to plan whole class activities that accomodate a handful of students.  This is the same thing.  You do it to provide the best learning opportunities for your students.  GEPIK is doing the same thing here.

This is a really good way to put it.

Anyway, whether there is alcohol or not isn't important, and it shouldn't stop people from meeting and making friends with other teachers.  If you're going, then look forward to what could be a fun, educational time.  If you're not going, then the alcohol ban shouldn't be your concern anyway.
히라리 히라리

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
I mean, personally, whatever--the GEPIK orientation I went too had no issues with alcohol and we had a great time hanging out in the lounge by the convenience store with those giant beer bottles...but, it's a work thing, and if past orientations have gotten out of hand and I was a coordinator I'd ban it too. 

But I do think there's some hypocrisy in here that's bothering people--at my GEPIK orientation I felt that, during one lecture, one of the coordinators was reprimending non-drinkers who "think it's so difficult to drink soju after work" in a lecture on Korean culture.  And as a young female NET, I've been made uncomfortable by older drunken male teachers at required professional school dinners.  Since GEPIK is now banning alcohol at their orientations, I'd LOVE to see them hold Korean teachers to similar standards and provide some honest training on how to deal with these types of alcohol-fueled situations.  As far as I remember, neither the issues of hazing/forced-drinking that men especially experience in Korea, nor sexual harassment, were covered in any of the required-for-all GEPIK classes, and I don't think they were touched on in any optional course either.   

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
so to all the "teachers" who think orientation (or korea in general) is some sort of frat party, let me express my utter hatred and contempt for you, your general unprofessionalism, and your inability to exercise proper conduct where it calls for it the most. [mod edit: removed vulgarity]. some of us actually like it here and want to stay longer.

Errrr...wow! You guys are very passionate about this topic.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:56:11 PM by Dayle »