February 22, 2019, 09:53:22 PM

Author Topic: Best oven to buy  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Best oven to buy
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »
I'm wanting to start doing more cooking at home.  I'm a little disappoint that this time around my new school provided apartment that I don't have a gas range and that it has only one cooking head (not four, like pervious) So I guess I have to make due. 

I'm watching a lot of "Food Wishes" channel on youtube and some of the nicer recipes ask for an oven.  So for all you waygooks out there, what oven do you use?  How often do you use it.  What is the best oven I can buy to tackle big heavy duty projects like 2 tiered cakes and a batch of cookies.  I've know other friends of mine who had ovens only to almost set their apartments on fire because they were trying to do big heavy duty projects in something the size of an "Easy Bake" oven.  I notice some oven here being stupid small.  Where to buy and what brands do you suggest for ovens? 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:49:22 AM by Piggydee »

Offline thecountryair

• Adventurer
Re: Best oven to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
Last year, I had what you called "the easy bake" oven and it sucked. This year, I bought one of these light wave ovens (http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=325897360) and I love it to death. I've cooked whole chickens, pies, cookies, and cakes in it and they've come out perfect every time! My favorite buy since I've been here!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
Awesome!  I will look into that one!  Any contenders out there with more suggestions?

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
Wow a microwave and oven.  Sounds like more of what I need.  Plus the size looks fantastic for a two tier cake.  Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
I also have one similar to cadurling.

It is really good. You can cook anything in it. And it is a decent size, unlike those tiny toaster ovens.

I bought it second hand - so have a look round at the second hand shops in your area if you can find them.

Offline bbo

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
I bought a Wiswell oven at the suggestion of another teacher when I first came to Korea 6 years ago.  It's still working just as well as when I first got it.  (And I bake cookies for hours without a break in the winter.)  I've looked at a lot of ovens at places like Hi-mart and I've found the space inside for actual cooking to be very small compared to how large the oven is.  My Wiswell definitely doesn't appear to be the sturdiest compared to those but for 50,000won and more space to cook I'm happy with it! (Mine's a 20L size.)  I'm looking into buying the largest Wiswell oven for my new place after I move.  I did read somewhere that the pans for the larger ones are weaker but hopefully I can just buy new pans in Dongdaemun if that happens.

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=185208341

I second the Wiswell. Have had it about a year and does the job nicely.

Offline gnomon

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
I have a Wiswell as well. Got the larger model, ( http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=114756964 ) , and it's been good to me. Had it since March, using it a few times a week. Had a similar, but older model Wiswell (provided by school) before that, and it performed well for three years, so got pretty much the same thing when it was time to buy one.

Offline new-waygook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=185208341

I second the Wiswell. Have had it about a year and does the job nicely.

i have this same one too.  it's great.

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:49 AM »
I have the Wiswell 45L oven, and LOVE it! I bought one first 5 years ago, and left it for the person who was replacing me after using it for 2 years.

When I moved to my new place, I bought a new one, and used it for 3 years before the thermostat gave out, and have just recently bought a 3rd one for my husband and I.

My husband bakes and sells cakes, pies and cookies to the local foreign community and has not had any problems with our wiswell oven at all, so to the person who said you'd be disappointed, I beg to differ. We can cook 2 layers of cake easily in our 45l oven to perfection, or we can bake 24 muffins, or 3 trays of cookies.

We have done roasts, pavlovas, pizzas, calzones, baked and broiled many things and not had much problem at all. Its all about how you use the oven, and knowing the temperatures. It may take you a couple of tries to get the heat just so, but once you know the right temp for your oven, you're off cooking and laughing.

The important thing is to make sure you have a flat surface and enough space around the oven that its not going to be suffocated or off kilter so that it will cook efficiently.

Good luck with your choice, no matter what you choose, and happy cooking/baking.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
I wouldn't want to live here without my oven. I love to cook and bake. I have a large table top microwave/convection oven combo. It'll hold a decent sized turkey.

I use it everyday, sometimes twice on weekends. I love to bake.

A friend who taught here bought it for around 600,000 Won back in 2005. I bought it from him 4 years ago when he left. He used it everyday. It's still going strong.

Advice, don't cheap out! A good oven is still going to run you 500,000 + Won I figure. You can get a cheaper one, but you get what you pay for.

A plus, they are super easy to sell when you leave.
Hail Caesar

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »
Tamjem What brand (make and model) are you using?

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
Tamjem What brand (make and model) are you using?

That would be this fellow.

http://www.lg.com/ae/cooking-appliances/lg-MA3884VC

It's been a faithful companion!
Hail Caesar

Offline Merlyn

• Newgookin
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »
I have the Wiswell 45L oven, and LOVE it! I bought one first 5 years ago, and left it for the person who was replacing me after using it for 2 years.

When I moved to my new place, I bought a new one, and used it for 3 years before the thermostat gave out, and have just recently bought a 3rd one for my husband and I.

My husband bakes and sells cakes, pies and cookies to the local foreign community and has not had any problems with our wiswell oven at all, so to the person who said you'd be disappointed, I beg to differ. We can cook 2 layers of cake easily in our 45l oven to perfection, or we can bake 24 muffins, or 3 trays of cookies.

We have done roasts, pavlovas, pizzas, calzones, baked and broiled many things and not had much problem at all. Its all about how you use the oven, and knowing the temperatures. It may take you a couple of tries to get the heat just so, but once you know the right temp for your oven, you're off cooking and laughing.

The important thing is to make sure you have a flat surface and enough space around the oven that its not going to be suffocated or off kilter so that it will cook efficiently.

Good luck with your choice, no matter what you choose, and happy cooking/baking.

I joined this site recently. Seeing the suggestions here I bought a 43L wiswell oven. But my cakes are getting burnt at the bottom. Could anyone pls suggest a solution for it. Could anyone pls advise on the best oven settings on wiswell to get a cake baked well.thanks for your help.

Online TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 11:07:18 AM »
Balmuda!

It has a water reservoir at the top that keeps the inside of the bread moist while the outside is crispy and golden. Best toaster/oven ive ever used. It makes frozen dominoes pizza taste fresh again. Buy it you will regret purchasing anything else to be honest the advertisement pictures  are fully accurate your bread comes out crazy beautiful everytime.

http://m.danawa.com/product/product.html?code=5657175&cateCode=102134

Sadly im doing keto diet now. I miss my Balmudaㅠㅡㅠ

T.C.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »
Balmuda!

It has a water reservoir at the top that keeps the inside of the bread moist while the outside is crispy and golden. Best toaster/oven ive ever used. It makes frozen dominoes pizza taste fresh again. Buy it you will regret purchasing anything else to be honest the advertisement pictures  are fully accurate your bread comes out crazy beautiful everytime.

http://m.danawa.com/product/product.html?code=5657175&cateCode=102134

Sadly im doing keto diet now. I miss my Balmudaㅠㅡㅠ

T.C.

A bit pricey for a glorified pizza re-heater and bread toaster. It's not an oven, as you can't do actual baking with that. Except maybe for cookies.

Online TexasChicken

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 12:30:41 AM »
The price is not for everyone Lazio thats true but it does in fact work as an oven albeit a small one.
Try some toast out of the Balmuda and you will become a believer.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »

I joined this site recently. Seeing the suggestions here I bought a 43L wiswell oven. But my cakes are getting burnt at the bottom. Could anyone pls suggest a solution for it. Could anyone pls advise on the best oven settings on wiswell to get a cake baked well.thanks for your help.

I have a large Wiswell oven, I think around 50L. Try baking at 160c, middle rack.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
The price is not for everyone Lazio thats true but it does in fact work as an oven albeit a small one.
Try some toast out of the Balmuda and you will become a believer.

I don't doubt that it is good for toasting. But that's the only thing it's good at.
If you have a larger oven already, a lot of counterspace and you are really anal about your toast, then it might be the thing you want. But if you want to do actual baking like pies, cakes, bread etc and roast meats, casseroles and so on, just get a larger oven that can do all these and also toast your bread and warm up frozen pizza.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
i bought a samsung one, very similar to this

http://www.e-himart.co.kr/app/goods/goodsDetail?goodsNo=0000311630

works as a microwave too, and good for baking. i admittedly bought it when it was maybe 30% off though