November 18, 2018, 09:14:02 AM

Author Topic: US economy improving. Less coming to Korea?  (Read 11614 times)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
Re: US economy improving. Less coming to Korea?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
Stuff is actually more expensive now than during the bubble....

That's what happens when you print money.  There are problems.  But if this recovery holds, it could lead to a better long term future than here circling the bottom.

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »
Anybody who tells you that the US economy has not improved in 4 years is watching too much FOX News.  Stuart Barney comes on every Friday to tell people the sky is falling.  After a while, people start to believe it.  I have friends in all areas of the economy and they are all doing better than 4 years ago.  They are TOO busy to watch FOX News.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
It is recovering, but it still has a way to go to get to pre 2008 levels.  It's much better than what it was.  I suspect it will take time for its effects to be felt.  Oil's big drop has been like a huge tax cut for the middle class.  I think it's still on shaky ground. 

Until the 2009 crash, Korea exported most to the USA.  I think China replaced them as Korea looked for markets elsewhere as the US economy slowed.  However, Korea got rich by exporting to many western countries.  When the US crash hit, the Korean economy took a hit.  Quite a few businesses here took a big hit in the fall of 2008 and early 2009.  Daewoo disppeared entirely and Chevrolet took over here.  I remember Koreans talking about it at the time.  The decline of the economy as a whole I mean.    Many factories closed, etc. 

http://www.asiamattersforamerica.org/southkorea/data/trade/importexport

I suspect if the US gets booming again, Korea will be able to export more to it.China may still be quite large, however.  Still, it will be good news to Korea's economy.  Korea was able to export it's way out of the 1997 Asian crash.  By 2001, things were back to booming again in Korea.  That is until the end of 2008. 

From what I've been told, a few English teachers trickled into mostly Seoul in the early to mid 90's.  A few more started trickling into Korea elsewhere by the mid to late 90's.  Even some rural areas would see a foreigner.  Then 1997 happened and most cleaned out.  A few rich kids who didn't need to send money homeorcare to pay for bills back home stayed. 

By the late 90's foreigners were spreading out briefly before leaving again.  It wasn't until the early 2000's that foreigners started returning. Rural areas and regional cities still didn't have too many foreigners until the 2008 and 2009 crash.  That's why even as late as 2007, in rural areas, especially, kids would scream "weigookin" to you and folks would stare at you.  It doesn't happen so much now, even in the countryside. 

What will emerge is hard to say if there is a recovery.  If only this downturn hadn't dragged on for so long, things might have been diferent.  Well, there's always China.  It's a big country if you don't like the Northern polluted coast. 

Offline AcidTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:16 AM »
I was one of those foreign EFL instructors who came to Korea in the mid-1990s and left after the 1998 Korean Economic Crisis.   Let's just say it wasn't until the spring of 2001 before I could say, "I'm glad to be back in the US."

After being laid off in the summer of 2004 from my full-time job as a librarian in 2004, I spent the next four years looking for a looking for another full-time librarian job while working part-time as a merchandiser and a server.   After I sold my house and my relationship with my boyfriend ended, I returned to Korea in the summer of 2008 to teach English.

Unless I have a full-time job lined up in the US, I am hesitant to return to the States.    Grad school is out of the question for me because I will have paid off my final student loan by June 2015.   Like many of you, I'm suspicious of the statistics that say the economy is improving in the US.   (No, I DON'T watch Fox News!)   

Sometimes, I wondered if I should have returned to Korea and TEFL at the end of 2004.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »
I was one of those foreign EFL instructors who came to Korea in the mid-1990s and left after the 1998 Korean Economic Crisis.   Let's just say it wasn't until the spring of 2001 before I could say, "I'm glad to be back in the US."

After being laid off in the summer of 2004 from my full-time job as a librarian in 2004, I spent the next four years looking for a looking for another full-time librarian job while working part-time as a merchandiser and a server.   After I sold my house and my relationship with my boyfriend ended, I returned to Korea in the summer of 2008 to teach English.

Unless I have a full-time job lined up in the US, I am hesitant to return to the States.    Grad school is out of the question for me because I will have paid off my final student loan by June 2015.   Like many of you, I'm suspicious of the statistics that say the economy is improving in the US.   (No, I DON'T watch Fox News!)   

Sometimes, I wondered if I should have returned to Korea and TEFL at the end of 2004.

I am also in the boat of skeptics. I'm scared to go back as well.

I am now 30, and realize that if I ever plan to get my masters, now is the time to go...

I don't want to go back to being a poor college student. However, I don't want to rely on the growing instability of ESL.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline cereal killer

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
I would tell anyone..make damn sure that you have a game plan before going back home.  I didn't and it really kicked my ass. Korea may not be great, but it beats the streets. Just make sure that you have a decent job lined up or else you face the risk of being an unemployed bum hoping to get food stamps. I will say again, make damn sure you have a plan. Don't half ass it. Also, do not believe the stats about the lower unemployment rate. It is once again the spin of the Obama administration(and I use the word loosely). Underemployment should be an even greater worry. What are all these supposed jobs in? I'll take a guess. Service industry. Ding! Ding! The pay is low and you'll be sleeping in a gutter at those jobs. Oh, and please don't say that you are going back to school for a Master's degree. That is a temporary delay for a future of underemployment. Have a firm plan in getting a GOOD PAYING JOB.  Then, and only then, should you consider going back to the real world.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
I would tell anyone..make damn sure that you have a game plan before going back home.  I didn't and it really kicked my ass. Korea may not be great, but it beats the streets. Just make sure that you have a decent job lined up or else you face the risk of being an unemployed bum hoping to get food stamps. I will say again, make damn sure you have a plan. Don't half ass it. Also, do not believe the stats about the lower unemployment rate. It is once again the spin of the Obama administration(and I use the word loosely). Underemployment should be an even greater worry. What are all these supposed jobs in? I'll take a guess. Service industry. Ding! Ding! The pay is low and you'll be sleeping in a gutter at those jobs. Oh, and please don't say that you are going back to school for a Master's degree. That is a temporary delay for a future of underemployment. Have a firm plan in getting a GOOD PAYING JOB.  Then, and only then, should you consider going back to the real world.

I do think there is a recovery underway.  But, I also thinkit's very fragile and anything can knock it off.  But, if it holds and contnues, we'll see something happen by 2016 if it's real. 

But as cereal said, have a plan.  Have a practical plan.  Computer / IT field, accounting, engineering, or just take a good trade.  I'd prob do the same if I went back.  Truthfully, I wish I only paid the bare miniumum on my debts and put the rest of the money in a reserve fund.  I prob could have gone home by now and re trained.  That's what I would do as a newbie if I came over now.   

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »

I do think there is a recovery underway.  But, I also thinkit's very fragile and anything can knock it off.  But, if it holds and contnues, we'll see something happen by 2016 if it's real. 

But as cereal said, have a plan.  Have a practical plan.  Computer / IT field, accounting, engineering, or just take a good trade.  I'd prob do the same if I went back.  Truthfully, I wish I only paid the bare miniumum on my debts and put the rest of the money in a reserve fund.  I prob could have gone home by now and re trained.  That's what I would do as a newbie if I came over now.   

I want to start a career fixing antennas and radio towers, but I can't get my foot on the ladder.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »

I want to start a career fixing antennas and radio towers, but I can't get my foot on the ladder.

You'll need to enter a good foundational step by step program. 

Offline midori951

• Veteran
  • Bang Bang!
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
in my case, when i plan to go back i will move back in with my mom just so i dont have to pay rent while i go back to school to get my teaching certification.

While i go back to school i will become a sub for my moms school district and start my application process for teaching. I know a few people within the teaching system and I was personally told that when i come back and need a job just call them. I guess im lucky.

i just dont want to move back to California until they get some water, because i drink about a gallon a day hahaha

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
in my case, when i plan to go back i will move back in with my mom just so i dont have to pay rent while i go back to school to get my teaching certification.

While i go back to school i will become a sub for my moms school district and start my application process for teaching. I know a few people within the teaching system and I was personally told that when i come back and need a job just call them. I guess im lucky.

i just dont want to move back to California until they get some water, because i drink about a gallon a day hahaha

Killer drought, eh?  Hope that place gets some rain soon.