August 22, 2018, 05:16:13 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: North America 2015: Thumbs up or down?  (Read 12372 times)

Offline Resolance

• Veteran
Re: North America 2015: Thumbs up or down?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 01:55:17 AM »
Let's be honest, wages in the US suck now compared to the cost of living

Did you read that on a communist anarco blog?

To understand this graph, the bottom line is wages (going up). The top line is wages adjusted for inflation, meaning pretty much no better or worse than before. The same.   

So basically, sucks.

In America you need to make a substantial amount of money to offset other necessary costs. Where in America can you actually get by without a car? Maybe NYC and a few other select places. Cars are absurdly expensive. There's the car, then car insurance, and then gas. You are also required to purchase garbage insurance unless your company gives you great insurance. Thanks Obamacare. 7,000 deductibles are amazing. (I know it varies by state and plan).  Don't forget about repairs if your lovely car ever has a problem. You're almost certainly better off in Korea even with the exchange rates. I think I spent around 30-50/month on transportation in Korea. Can you ever manage that in the US? Yeah, right.

I would say in general, unless you're going to make 40,000+ then stay away from the US.

I am already done with Korea, but I don't deny that it's still quite a good option financially for those of us who aren't engineers or scientists.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:08:51 AM by Resolance »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 02:30:35 AM »
So basically, sucks.

Or...same as before (just as good as before)...which is what I said.

Adjusted for inflation (cost of living):

1964: $19.18

2014: $20.67

Those are very similar numbers, and in fact the present is slightly better. Things aren't going to hell in a hand basket.

Typical wage for a BA holder: $57,252 a year; for an MA holder: $68,952. Not bad.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
Lol unless you have a degree in a specific in-demand field in tech or engineering, good luck making $40,000 or more a year even in a major wealthy city. Average wages are always skewed way upwards by older people (who have affordable homes, no student loan debt and viable pensions) and by the very small number of young people who get $100k+ tech jobs who usually turn out to have been children of rich parents who could send them to networking havens like Yale or Stanford.

And even if you do make 40k to 60k a year...congrats, you are making an income that would have been considered a respectable middle class salary15 or  20 years ago. Meanwhile cars, housing, education etc are way more expensive.