December 10, 2018, 04:10:06 AM

Author Topic: intention to renew query  (Read 1329 times)

Offline britzepik

• Newgookin
intention to renew query
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:57 AM »
I'm wondering if I sign the intent to renew form does that mean I am looking to renew with EPIK (as in could be transferred to another city/school) or with my current school?

Also, how much does the weight of our co teachers place on the decision to renew us? I teach at two schools but does the second school have any/much say as to whether they should renew us?

Thanks for your help in adcance :azn:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:49:03 AM by britzepik »

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: intention to renew query
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »
You are renewing with your MOE, in general that is the case, there are some cases where your school employs you. Check with your school if you are unsure.

Once you have signed intent to renew, there is a whole process that happens where you will amongst other things do an open class for evaluation to see if you can renew. Your school/co-teachers do have a say, so unless you have done something terrible they will in all likelihood renew you.

Even if they don't and you haven't done something to warrant dismissal your MOE can place you at another school which falls under them. They don't usually move you after one year especially if your school like you.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline poppy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »
The process that you go through varies by city and region.  I have been in Daejeon for 5 years and have never had to do an open class for renewal evaluation.  I just filled out a form with my renewal intentions.  My co-teachers evaluate me on 10 questions about my attitude, work habits etc.  If I get over 80 then I am renewed.  If the Principal and VP approve it then I stay at the school if they dont approve but my evaluation score is a pass then I change schools.  If you are at 2 schools then the main schools does the evaluation.  They may or may not call the second school for their input - will depend on your co-teacher.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
Also, how much does the weight of our co teachers place on the decision to renew us? I teach at two schools but does the second school have any/much say as to whether they should renew us?

Your co-teacher's opinion does carry significant weight, but ultimately it comes down to the principal and how he/she feels about you (i.e. whether he/she likes you or not). It's possible to not get renewed just because the principal doesn't want you to stay.

Regarding whether your second school will have any input, you should contact the coordinator at your MOE/POE to ask about that to get a clear answer, since I think it depends/varies at different MOEs/POEs. Or, you could also just ask your co-teacher, if you are comfortable enough with him/her to ask about that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:03:30 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline britzepik

• Newgookin
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Does anyone know specifically what the co teachers evaluation questions are? My co teacher doesn't teach with me in class

Offline poppy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
In Daejeon there are 10 questions - they give you a score on each out of 10.  You must get at least 80 and you cannot get 6 or lower in any category.  Your area is probably different so you should ask your ct or coordiantor. 

1. Comprehensible spoken English
2. Comprehensible written English on board
3. demeanor on duty and attitude as teacher
4. maintaining rapport and cooperating with teachers at school
5. abiding by contract and school regulations
6. researching, creating materials and providing formative student evaluation
7. passion, creativity and quality of teaching
8. making lesson plans
9. warm and open demeanor towards students
10. health

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
My contract is between me and the Principal of my school. That is, it has my name and his name, not the school's or the POE's name on the contract.

I usually do an open class well before the end of my contract. This year they asked me when I wanted to do it and I told them.

I expect to sign a letter of intent to renew sometime soon. Thus far I have always signed a new contract prior to going away for Christmas vacation despite my contract ending Feb. 28. This has been because I ask to have it signed early to relieve stress (so I say, I just want it done if I plan to stay) They've always accommodated this request.

I don't know if my CT fills out a form or not. It has never been brought to my attention.

However, signing an intent to renew does not legally obligate you to renew if something came up: a better gig, a new girlfriend in a far away city, you had enough and wanna go home...It's only an intent to renew. Nothing is completely done until your name is on every page of 3 contracts along with whomever is your employer and they have been stamped and dated and you have a copy, the school has a copy and the local Office of Education has a copy.

At least that's what I have been told.
Hail Caesar

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
Don't worry about evaluation questions or open classes and the like. The schools like to act like there's a whole renewal process, but largely your renewal is just based on whether the Principal and VP like you and want you to stay, assuming there is money to fund your salary. If there aren't any local funding problems and you haven't been having trouble with your CT's or the school administration and the Principal smiles at you when you bow, you should be fine.