December 12, 2018, 11:14:20 PM

Author Topic: Public school to hagwon job....now what?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline beginners_falafel

• Adventurer
Public school to hagwon job....now what?
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
Hi all! I recently accepted a hagwon job and I need to get my documents ready.

How do I get ahold of my apostilled degree/fbi check? I'm in Gangwon-do.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:12:59 PM by taeyang »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: Public school to hangwon job....now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
The MOE may (as in probably will) refuse to release the docs/provide you with official copies. If you worked in a public school,  immigration doesn't have them and will send you to the education office. Send away for all new ones right away. In the meantime, try to get copies from the MOE (which may or may not work).

Offline tootyfruity

• Adventurer
  • www.taryndelish.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Has your ARC expired?

I am asking to see if you have the option of renewing your ARC with the new employer.

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
The MOE may (as in probably will) refuse to release the docs/provide you with official copies. If you worked in a public school,  immigration doesn't have them and will send you to the education office. Send away for all new ones right away. In the meantime, try to get copies from the MOE (which may or may not work).

Why would the MOE not give you copies?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
Why would they?

Have you ever tried to get help from a Korean government bureaucrat before?

Offline pilferstarfish

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
IF you're doing  just a standard E2 transfer you don't need the documents, correct?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
No. You do. There is a somewhat recent law stating both the school (to register the new visa) and immigration should have docs. Official stamped copies will suffice. That's a minimum requirement (supposedly to keep out criminals, which makes no sense whatsoever), but if a school wants to request brand new apostilled docs (even though the Westerner hasn't left the country and couldn't possibly have recently committed a crime there), they can.

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
A likely scenario that can arise is when you do a visa transfer from P/S to hagwon. Immigration will ask for documents like degree.  You would think the visa has not expired and a transfer should be easy with minimal paperwork.  Nope

The problem is that immigration will likely not have your records on file.   When you applied to public school your records where given to the Education Department/GEPIK program.  When you were hired, then MOE gave a heads up to immigration to give you a visa.    No records or paper where sent over to immigration.

For most applications with public school or hagwon is when original documents are given they will not be given back.  Repeat when you give the papers to the program they are GONE.  All is not lost.
Through you can request certified/official copies of your papers (CRC, Degree) from MOE.   That can vary from easy to difficult.   Have read of some people have troubles and getting the run around when requesting them.

My advice is thus.
1) Give immigration a call at 1345.  Ask them for what documents they have on file.  Plus what they would need if you did transfer to a hagwon.   If you get the run around on the phone consider making a visit to "try" and get certified copies from immigration.    If they can not give it to you, then it likely means they do not have on file and will ask for them in the future.
2)  Start preparing towards getting new papers.    Or even better actually getting new/extra ones.  If you "prepare" you can save some money and not have wasted too much getting papers you do not need.  If you do actually get them you will have wasted money.   But you will have put yourself in a safer position if things you loopy and you do need to submit originals.  Or you have to apply for the visa from scratch.   
3)  Ask NOW for certified copies from your head teacher or regions program head.  Expect some delays and head scratching.  Be a little pushy as you might get ignored or ya-ya.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:20:45 PM by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• Adventurer
Re: Public school to hagwon job....now what?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
Okay so it turns out in my case I have to just acquire the copies of my apostilled degree and apsotilled fbi check. I should hopefully be getting these from my POE, as I've just filled out the form to obtain them and will email it to them.

Seems easy enough...hopefully...

Offline amgoalng

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
I am considering going from public school to a hogwon in Seoul, considering, looking around, that's it.  Does the degree and Apostille copies have to be recent?  I made copies and had them on hand with them when I got here over two years ago.  I should still have them.  Would those suffice or do I need something more recent?  If they wouldn't, I know the US embassy can't Apostile things.  How long does it take from Korea to get things Apostilled or should I even worry about it?  Last time it took me three months and that was in America. 

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Immigration was able to provide me with copies of my notarized diploma and CBC and I'm at public school.  The new public school wanted copies when I switched, and immigration gave me copies with a cover letter without having to even take a number and wait. This was in February 2013.

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
I am considering going from public school to a hogwon in Seoul, considering, looking around, that's it.  Does the degree and Apostille copies have to be recent?  I made copies and had them on hand with them when I got here over two years ago.  I should still have them.  Would those suffice or do I need something more recent?  If they wouldn't, I know the US embassy can't Apostile things.  How long does it take from Korea to get things Apostilled or should I even worry about it?  Last time it took me three months and that was in America. 

I've wondered this too, but my hagwon just wants a copy of the documents I sent in a year ago. I think if they want a new CBC, it doesn't have to the FBI one, but a local one (I was told we could do this at a local police station here, but I think that's only if the school requires a new one). I would hate to have to do the entire process again, especially because like you said, it took so long and was a long and frustrating process that would be longer and more frustrating if I were to figure out how to do it here.