September 24, 2018, 02:17:09 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Graduate Schools in Korea That Offer Math Education Courses in English?  (Read 726 times)

Offline asa47

• Adventurer
I'm not sure whether anyone has any information about this, but are there any graduate schools in Korea that offer math education courses in English plus a teaching certificate?  I would like to get my Master's Degree in mathematics education as well as a teaching certificate here in Korea, but if the courses are only in Korean, I'm worried it will be too difficult, or even impossible, to accomplish at my current level of Korean (I can only understand regular conversation, not technical stuff).  Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline lobotronic

• Veteran
Re: Graduate Schools in Korea That Offer Math Education Courses in English?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
It's extremely unlikely they would teach math in English.

even if you DID happen to find a course that taught in English, the minimum requirement for entrance into Korean university is a TOPIK level 3! That's standard for foreigners.  Without that TOPIK level you can't get accepted to regular university programs (both undergrad and graduate). Many programs also require you to get a TOPIK 4 by the time you graduate (and it will be a factor deciding whether or not you are allowed to graduate!). TOPIK 3-4 is not easy--you'll have to work very hard and probably take good language courses to get there. A full-time course for 6 months with good effort on your behalf should be sufficient, or a year of self-study.

Offline klv_tx

• Waygookin
Re: Graduate Schools in Korea That Offer Math Education Courses in English?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
Kyung Hee University has a math department. While I do not know about these specific courses, many of their graduate courses are given in English.
http://www.khu.ac.kr/eng/download/Graduate/Graduate%20School.pdf