October 17, 2018, 09:40:49 PM

Author Topic: Is wearing a occlusal splint or braces bad for getting ESL jobs?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline mackn

• Explorer
I have to wear a dental splint all the time. But it has negligible effect on my pronunciation and ability to speak. Would they still not hire me because it doesn't look good, and even if I can speak well even with the occlusal splint, parents might think otherwise?

This is an example of a occlusal splint: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkterracedental.com.au%2Fdental%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F03%2Focclusal-splint1.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkterracedental.com.au%2Four-services%2Focclusal-splints%2F&h=163&w=400&tbnid=Qd7rTZp5P58OdM%3A&zoom=1&docid=tDxKv6-MDOFc7M&ei=mJg8VKnECJKUyATf3IGQCQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CEsQMygaMBo&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1487&page=2&start=13&ndsp=16

When I'm done wearing the occlusal splint I probably will have to wear braces for some time. Would that be ok for getting an ESL job?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:24:15 PM by mackn »

Offline mackn

• Explorer
Re: Is wearing a occlusal splint or braces bad for getting ESL jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Does anyone have experience wearing something like braces or occlusal splint and if that negatively affected job opportunities?

Online robobob9000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure.  For what its worth I haven't seen any teachers with braces yet.  Plenty of students wear them though, and it's no big deal.  It might be a negative depending upon how it effects your pronunciation and appearance.  The main reasons why western teachers are usually hired over Korean English teachers are because of pronunciation and appearance.  Standards are very high here, and on a cultural level Koreans tend to care more about pronunciation compared to westerners when they're learning foreign languages.  So while you might not notice a difference with the splint, a native Korean might.

I think you should be okay if you have extremely pronunciation despite the splint.  Or if you have something else going for you.  Like if you speak Korean, or have a master's degree, or have an undergrad degree in education, or if you're really attractive, or if you have an interesting career history. 

Offline Wintermute

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • High School - Speech
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »
no one will care.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:19:47 AM »
I've had coteachers with braces. You'll be fine.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline EvilToast

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
I've worn braces, it won't affect your pronunciation at all. If you wear plates, they might. I'm not sure about splints.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
I would love to be able to provide you with a concrete answer, but the truth is, none of us know.

I have had braces, and it didn't effect my speech.  The retainer, however, did.

Doesn't your splint cause you to lisp?

Discrimination based on color, beauty, age, etc. is rampant here.  Some employers won't hire Pogues, Kiwis, or Aussies due to their pronunciation, while other employers will.  Your condition isn't a benefit, but with the right employer, it might not be considered a serious liability.

Good luck with your search.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »
I had braces for over a year while teaching. I did get them while I already had a job though, so can't comment in that regard.

What I can say is that my CTs were a little bit hesitant about how it would affect my speech, considering that is basically my main job. I got them before a holiday so I could get used to them, but it was almost a non-issue anyway. The first few days (maybe a week) there is a slight difference, but you eventually get used to them and can speak fine. The only trouble i had was when i hit my top teeth against my bottom while teaching, and almost cried. i just took a 30 second break and got back on it.

So yeah, it might concern some people- but you should find a job somewhere.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
I had braces and Invisalign (not at the same time; I had Invisalign for the last couple months of my orthodontic treatment following the removal of my braces), but like the previous poster, I got them while I was already in the middle of my last teaching job here. I didn't find either of them to affect my speech; they were definitely uncomfortable at times (especially the initial month of wearing them) and made my teeth feel like they had a lot of pressure on them, but speech-wise, I don't recall there being a significant effect/difference or anything. I did get my braces during a vacation period off from work, though, so I had a few weeks to adjust/get through the worst of the pain/discomfort before having to use my voice while teaching in the classroom again.