February 22, 2019, 11:53:09 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191252 times)

Offline hibernia

• Adventurer
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Just a quick question... If the test starts at 1pm what time can i expect to be out of there at? I need to arrange a time for something afterwards but i have no idea how long this will take.

Offline Horsey

• Adventurer
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
You'll leave 2:45p.m. - 4:15p.m. My advice is to leave most of the afternoon free!

The written test lasts 50 minutes. Your speaking test time depends on when you registered (first-come-first-served). I was near the end, and had to wait another 2 hours!

Offline hibernia

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
Well that was a minor disaster - I guess I'll be getting well acquainted with level 1 pretty soon.

I could answer the first 10 questions of the written test comfortably, and the second 10 with difficulty, I was done after that.

Doing the speaking test in a group of 5 was more intimidating than I expected - the other 4 examinees in my group were Chinese and spoke the shit out of Korean, they read the paragraph in under 10 seconds and gave long and detailed answers to all of the questions. The examiners spoke at breakneck speed and I didn't understand the third and fourth questions at all - I just hazarded a guess based on the answers that the others gave.

However, I got lucky and was called in the second speaking group, so I was out of there by 2:25.

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
  • What do I love more than snacks?. . .More snacks^^
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

First of all congrats on completing test day^^  I had a similar experience and was placed in Level 1. I will say you got a hell of a lot further than me on the written exam. I was in the first round of the oral exams. The examiners cut me off as I took foreveeeeer to read the assigned paragraph. Unlike everyone else in my group. Post-exam I went straight downtown Daegu and comforted myself at Boogie Burger. ㅠㅠ
All that being said, KIIP is the best thing that ever happened to my Korean language studies. Level 2 here I come. Fighting!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:23:43 PM by SnackySnack »
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

Offline coomac

• Waygookin
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Similar experience as well. I also took this test on Saturday. I saw zero Westerners, lots and lots of South East Asians and Middle Easterners that had no problems with speaking. I was quite surprised when I managed to go up to question 32 (guessed on a couple in the 20s). 

My group of 5 was the very last for speaking at around 3:10. Everyone was pretty nervous by then and even though most were able to answer at least some of the questions, no one in my group did well. I literally couldn't form a sentence, so definitely bombed that part :cry: I just hope my reading and one word answers were enough to get me above a 2.

Offline Lawrence

• Super Waygook
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:43 PM »
The reason so many westerners don't do well with the speaking is because we never get to speak Korean. If you are working as a NET, and most of us are, then you spend 8 hours a day speaking English to students and co-workers. The migrant workers, marriage immigrants, etc speak Korean all day because they need it for their jobs, spouse, and children. I think in terms of immigrants NETs have the lowest Korean skills.

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »
Lawrence you're 100% right. Side note: it's can also be frustrating trying to find a language exchange partner. Well at least one whose English is on par with your Korean. Otherwise, you spend too much time on one language.
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2015, 11:50:46 PM »
Lawrence you're 100% right. Side note: it's can also be frustrating trying to find a language exchange partner. Well at least one whose English is on par with your Korean. Otherwise, you spend too much time on one language.

Why not set a timer and speak Korean half the time, English half the time?

Offline Lawrence

• Super Waygook
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »

You are not the first person to have such a problem. There was a thread about this some time ago. My solution to this issue is to recommend that you visit TTMIK and also check on Youtube for some Korean teachers who have their own channel. Repeat what they say and build up. Also I get the impressions that you are not part of any church because usually a church will have people encouraging you to learn some Korean. If you are religious then join and you can find someone to speak with. If you are not religious then try a language class or program like KIIP (Korean Immigration and Integration Program). Then you can start to look for a language exchange partner but not before you have the vocabulary and grammar. Good luck with that.

Offline emilprice

• Adventurer
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »
Got put in Level 3. Really happy.

Tried to apply for classes but only online ones and weekday ones available right now.

I wouldn't mind doing the online class from 8-10 every night, but its fully applied for.

How often do they update/offer new classes?

Do they offer weekend classes?

What should I do now...? Just check everyday?

Offline jeremydkelly

• Waygookin
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »
Wow Congrats Emil we are all very happy for you, you seem like a real unit. :wink:

I think you should check everyday.

Offline emilprice

• Adventurer
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
Thanks Jezza. I am indeed a complete unit.

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook

Offline joezelchangwon

• Newgookin
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »
I also got Level 3. Probably pure luck or so. Haven't been studying for a while but I'm glad I'll be able to hit those Korean books again. I was hoping to apply for the online classes 8-10 pm as well but the class is already full. I have my part time tutorials in the afternoon as well. Plus I can't take the in-person classes 'coz I'll be going back home in March, staying there for a mo. at least. :cry: Hoping to apply for  the online classes again in May or as soon as the second semester starts.  :sad: Any advice? Is it possible to do so? Do I have to re-take the pre-test (level test) again to apply for the second sem./ class or can I just use the result of my pre-test before?

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
Anyone know if there's a way to check how you did on each portion?  I got a higher level than I was expecting, but when I look at the "Score Table" it just tells me the overall points I scored and my level.  I'm really curious because I felt like I didn't do as well as I'd have liked on the speaking portion. 

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
joezelchangwon... you can keep an eye on the website and you may find another class opens... it does happen.

Contact the Immigration center too and ask if they will offer classes at any other times as well
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
I see many different books on their website...

- 외국인을 위한 한국어 1, 2 (2007년, 한국외국 어대학교 편)
- 외국인을 위한 한국어 3, 4 (2010년, 한국외국어대학교 편)
- 한국어 초급(1, 2) (2009년, 경희대학교출판국 편)
- 한국어 중급(1, 2) (2009년, 경희대학교출판국 편)
- 여성결혼이민자와 함께하는 한국어 1, 2 (2009년, 국립국어원)
- 사회통합프로그램을 위한 한국어 기초 (2010년, 법무부, 국립국어원, 경희대학교)
- 사회통합프로그램을 위한 한국어 초급(1, 2) (2010년, 법무부, 국립국어원, 경희대학교)
- 사회통합프로그램을 위한 한국어 중급(1, 2) (2010년, 법무부, 국립국어원, 한국외국어대학교)

Which books are you guys using for your class? I guess the teachers get to pick the book they want among this list?

I've seen the 경희대학교 books before and they're kind of bad... what are your thoughts on the textbooks you're using?

You have to go to a different website.  On your class page on SociNet, it should say something like this, "교재 구입 방법 : 온라인 구매(한국이민재단홈페이지http://www.kisf.org) or 운영기관 오프라인 구매(개강일 수업시작 전) 7,000원 (현금만 가능)," in the 과정정보 section.  Then you go to kisf.org and make a separate account.  After that, you log in and go to the middle white square at the bottom of the homepage that says "공지사항" and hit the plus in the upper right hand corner of that.  Then there'll be three options on the left of the new page.  You want the one that says "도서주문판매".  It takes you to a page with the books for each level on it.  They're in order of level.  For example, the green one that says 기초 is Level 0, the orange one that says 초급1 is Level 1, and so on.  Click on it and you'll be taken to a page where you order it.  You can either do that or buy it in person.  I'd recommend buying it online, though, since it's so quick.  I ordered mine on Monday night around 8pm and got it about 15 minutes ago.  Make sure you transfer the money to their account though.  After you reserve the book, you have to go to an ATM or something and transfer the 7,000원 to the account they provide you with.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.  Hope it helps. 

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
My book was the orange one ~ level 1. I didn't pay for it.  The class was free and came with the book. Are you guys taking the online class? Is that the difference? Actually would love an extra book so I can redo level 1 before level 2 starts so will check out the website. Thanks

Offline andymc88

• Waygookin
  • www.andysteachingstrategies.com
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
I got put into level 4. Just on the edge of the cutoff - I'm guessing the reading section pulled me up.

So do we need to buy the books or are they free?

I heard last time from one guy who did the online class that he got a phone call and they asked him where to deliver it.. We should get the book before we go to the first class?

P.s. I'm doing weekend classes at 숭실대학교 (pretty sure it's that one..)
www.andysteachingstrategies.com - look here for refreshing teaching strategies and reflective practice.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
My book was the orange one ~ level 1. I didn't pay for it.  The class was free and came with the book. Are you guys taking the online class? Is that the difference? Actually would love an extra book so I can redo level 1 before level 2 starts so will check out the website. Thanks

I'm taking the in-person class.  Does it differ by level and/or location maybe?  I'm taking the level 4 class at the 역삼글로벌빌리지센터.  This is my first time registering for the class, too, so I'm kinda a noob at it.