February 22, 2019, 12:49:32 PM

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191274 times)

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »

Mine aren't up yet.

There's three semesters a year? That's good I was thinking there were only two  8)

Offline 24open_yangsan_gukbap

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Mine posted this afternoon! I got Level 3, which is what I was hoping for since I earned a TOPIK 2 last month. Happy/excited.

And I need to correct myself--there IS a class open to me 11/24-1/30/2015. It's an online class, offered at 2-4pm or 6-8pm. I'm going to skip this one, continue with my self study and language exchanges, and be ready to start the Level 3 class next spring.

For those interested in the online classes, CHECK THEM NOW! They're limited to 9 students, and I'm sure they will fill up before the end of next week!

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
If you didn't take the test, you have to start with level 0, but you have to go tell them that's your plan.

Contact the immigration office in your city and ask them who runs the KIIP program. You'll probably start in late January or early February.

Offline anjuly

• Waygookin
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
Mine posted this afternoon! I got Level 3, which is what I was hoping for since I earned a TOPIK 2 last month. Happy/excited.

And I need to correct myself--there IS a class open to me 11/24-1/30/2015. It's an online class, offered at 2-4pm or 6-8pm. I'm going to skip this one, continue with my self study and language exchanges, and be ready to start the Level 3 class next spring.

For those interested in the online classes, CHECK THEM NOW! They're limited to 9 students, and I'm sure they will fill up before the end of next week!

Hi Gukbap! It's just a personal question but I took the test last Sunday and got into Level 4. I just took the TOPIK I in October and I saw that you've already taken TOPIK II. Do you think if the Socinet put me into Level 4, I could also try out for the TOPIK II? I was worried about my level but at this point, I just need to study a bit more and crank out more vocabulary and grammar...

Offline lobotronic

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »

Hi Gukbap! It's just a personal question but I took the test last Sunday and got into Level 4. I just took the TOPIK I in October and I saw that you've already taken TOPIK II. Do you think if the Socinet put me into Level 4, I could also try out for the TOPIK II? I was worried about my level but at this point, I just need to study a bit more and crank out more vocabulary and grammar...

I got TOPIK 4 this summer, and I just tested into the KIIP level 4 class. It's safe to say you could do the advanced TOPIK and get a level 4 if you prep well. Remember that the Advanced TOPIK now has TWO essays so your writing skill is crucial....practice a lot!

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

Actually, your level is probably a bit higher than mine. I got a TOPIK level 2 certificate--I took the TOPIK I test.

I would say that if you tested into Level 4 of the KIIP, you're probably at about a TOPIK level 3, which is the lowest level of the TOPIK II test. There's definitely nothing to lose (other than the w35,000) for taking the TOPIK. Sign up for it, get some study guides, and see what score you get.

Online leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
I finished the program and wrote about the experience here. Check it out
http://www.electrow.com/visa-1/

I read your article.  Very helpful thanks, but I do believe that Korean spouses can no longer "drop your sponsorship" for you F-6.  They changed it not too long ago because they didn't want spouses stuck in abusive relationships with the visa hanging over their head.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »
I realize now at 11.30pm that it's a bit late for anyone to apply for the next program but the dates for each session's registration have been released, along with the placement test dates.

you can download the document here http://www.socinet.go.kr/FileByteDownload.do?file=/20150102/soci/comm/board/BoardForm.jsp/2015%EB%85%84%EB%8F%84_%EC%82%AC%ED%9A%8C%ED%86%B5%ED%95%A9%ED%94%84%EB%A1%9C%EA%B7%B8%EB%9E%A8_%EC%B0%B8%EC%97%AC_%EC%95%88%EB%82%B4.pdf&filePath=/20150102/soci/comm/board/BoardForm.jsp&fileName=2015%EB%85%84%EB%8F%84_%EC%82%AC%ED%9A%8C%ED%86%B5%ED%95%A9%ED%94%84%EB%A1%9C%EA%B7%B8%EB%9E%A8_%EC%B0%B8%EC%97%AC_%EC%95%88%EB%82%B4.pdf&programId=bbs&docId=733&fileType=BBS&tableNm=&keyColNm=&keyVal=&blobColNm=&blobCol=&isBlob=multi

The next session (2nd round) for sign ups has the placement test on the 28th of March. Registering is from 26th Jan to 20th March (i'm guessing the super short sign-up period for the 1st session is related to the new year and things are never certain until then?  This document wasn't released until very recently either)

Still curious about how many tests you do? From what it looks like in that document, you do one test for KIIP? But the title of the column says basically "Mid-term test" So the placement test is on the 28th of March, and then the test is on 30th of May. Is that the normal length? about 6 to 8 weeks of class? or is that only half of the course?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:41:57 PM by probablylauren »
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline Fanwarrior

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
The classes are fairly intensive. If you do it once a week it's like 8 hours or so in one sitting. Internet evening classes are 5 days a week 2 hours a time or 10 hours a week.

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
  • What do I love more than snacks?. . .More snacks^^
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »
For those taking those long, 8+ hour classes, how is it going for you?

I really want to take the course but I'm not sure I can stay in a class for 8 straight hours...

I did the Saturday and Sunday course (9am-2pm each day) There are two breaks: 10 min break and a 20 minute break for lunch. By 1pm I was usually stir crazy. That being said, signing up for so many hours did wonders for my Korean studies. For the first time, I got concepts that had alluded me in other classes/self-study. The intensity is worth the long hours. I am def signing up again in March for Level 2.
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
No, sorry Summer. For my area, I don't recall any evening classes after 6pm. The options closest to my house were:  morning classes (10am I think??), online classes and the weekend one that I took. There were classes further away but as I recall they were on the weekends.
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
anyone got any more info on the online course? i've made some enquiries in my city and the in-person classes are only during the day during the week. nothing at night nor the weekend. i guess they only want people without jobs who don't contribute in any meaningful way to the economy to integrate into Korean society in my city. go figure.

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
anyone got any more info on the online course? i've made some enquiries in my city and the in-person classes are only during the day during the week. nothing at night nor the weekend. i guess they only want people without jobs who don't contribute in any meaningful way to the economy to integrate into Korean society in my city. go figure.

I'm taking the online class. It's great. Mon-Fri 4-6pm.

You sign up for the class on the socinet web page. Then they have you download a program that connects you to the virtual classroom with the teacher and the other students. You also need headphones/mic and a webcam. You receive the textbook after a couple of weeks through the mail.

The virtual class is like a regular class. It is entirely in Korean. She explains concepts from the book. She calls on students for answers. You also have conversations with her and the other students. There is usually some light homework everyday. The class is limited to 9 students. In my class there are only 6 students including myself.

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2015, 12:07:10 PM »
Here's the information they posted. Some of the English translations are wrong.

The part that says "2015 Application Period and Application Method" is about the pre-tests. You have to register, take the test, and get your results before you can register for classes.

There is a "Level test" after each level, to be promoted to the next. The "Mid-term test KIIP-KLCT" is actually to pass the Level 4. ***I'm not 100% sure about this. Please correct me if I'm wrong!*** You have to do that before you can go onto the Level 5 "Understanding Korean Society" course, which is only 50 hours, then the "final test KINAT".

The semesters are 10 weeks long, 10 hours a week. That's 2 hours, 5 days a week, or 5 hours, two days on weekends.

I'm still waiting to see what the class schedule will be this year, or when I can register for classes. I emailed my local officer and she said they will be available "at the end of January". I guess all we can do is check the "My Page" a couple of times a week to see if anything has changed.

WILD SPECULATION: I'm guessing that the "mid-term test" dates correspond to the end of the 10-week semesters.

There was an online-only semester that started January 1, so that March 14 date would be their final exam. Then the other dates would be something like this: ~March 21 start, May 30th test, ~May 9-July 11 (I'll guess that this is online-only), ~June 20-August 29, August 1~October 10 (online), ~September 19-November 28.

That would be 3 regular semesters, and 3 online-only semesters, and the 3 Final Test dates would correspond to the 3 regular semesters (because Level 5 is only 50 hours/5 weeks long). We'll see if my guess is close to what they finally announce.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:00:36 PM by 24open_yangsan_gukbap »

Offline hibernia

• Adventurer
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
My pre-test is on Saturday, I applied for a specific centre about 2 weeks ago, but my examination ticket still says that the location is not decided.

Anyone else having this problem?

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
I had the same experience. Think they posted a few short days before the test. Push come to shove call your local Immigration Office for updates.

Offline WinterSprings

• Waygookin
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
How are you guys able to apply? Whenever I click the link 사회통합프로그램, it says that it is unavailable. Is January 17th the only day we can take the pretest?

Offline WinterSprings

• Waygookin
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
How are you guys able to apply? Whenever I click the link 사회통합프로그램, it says that it is unavailable. Is January 17th the only day we can take the pretest?

사회통합프로그램 is the social integration program. Most of the posts on this thread is about the Korean language program that comes before the social integration program. I had the same confusion and posted a lot about how that link stopped working last month. No one here knew why but I figured it out...  The social integration program is not available for registration for the moment.

I'm interested in the language courses as well. From my understanding, I thought I was supposed to hit the button 사회통합프로그램 시청 and then I could see the dates for the pretest as well as the courses. How exactly do I sign up for the pretest because the instructions that were posted aren't clear on that matter.

Offline WinterSprings

• Waygookin
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »

사회통합프로그램 is the social integration program. Most of the posts on this thread is about the Korean language program that comes before the social integration program. I had the same confusion and posted a lot about how that link stopped working last month. No one here knew why but I figured it out...  The social integration program is not available for registration for the moment.

I'm interested in the language courses as well. From my understanding, I thought I was supposed to hit the button 사회통합프로그램 시청 and then I could see the dates for the pretest as well as the courses. How exactly do I sign up for the pretest because the instructions that were posted aren't clear on that matter.

Ah nevermind! I figured it out! Unfortunately, the only day listed is the 17th and I will be out of the country then :/

Offline cynicalxcharm

• Newgookin
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
Thanks for your answer.

That's really unfortunate... I live close to a place with classes but I live very far from my school so I won't be able to get there until after 6PM on weekdays. And all my friends live in Seoul so I usually hang out with them on the weekend there.

I really want to improve my Korean though  :cry: decisions, decisions

Hi, Summer! I have two answers for you.

1. There are classes available in the evening. I took my level 4 class at Ewha Women's University MWF from 6:30-9:30, 6-10 on Fridays. There are a few locations that offer this time for those who work. Even if you don't see the option at first, they sometimes add more classes a week or so after the initial registration for classes.

2. You should be able to check today or tomorrow for the location of your test. They don't update the location until like a day before, so make sure you print your test registration paper and bring it with you after they update it! If you're in Seoul it's usually at Soongsil University.

If you're not in Seoul, this information might not be accurate for your area. Hope that helped!