February 22, 2019, 12:57:56 PM

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191275 times)

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
Does anyone have experience with requesting to change a level? I was tested into Beginner 2 level at the pretest but I would feel much better starting beginner 1. Is there a number for KIIP?

each area/city should have a local coordinator person for the program there. i got the number of mine by phoning immigration on 1345, who put me through to my local immigration office, who then gave me the number of my person.

good luck doing any of this in english though. most of the people at my local immigration office barely speak english.

Offline silver_angel

• Waygookin

I also wanted to know if there are any repercussions to joining the program and then dropping out after starting it. The hours for the university are really long and I don't know if I can study that late especially when I'm usually in bed by 10:30pm. (classes are 6:30pm-9:30pm) I want to join but if I don't think it will help me then I want to drop it without any harm to my visa status or future visas for that matter. I got a level 3 but I don't think I deserve a level 3 since I didn't write down anything in the writing sections. ?_? Any help is welcome. Have a great first day with uni classes....that I missed...since I can't register till tomorrow with IE.

You can take a break and they will put you on "leave" which means you can save the hours that you have studied up until your drop out point and then resume the class later.

You have to request that though, on your account through the webpage, if you don't say anything and just leave the class, then they'll just keep marking you absent until you are basically kicked out of the program and put on hold for 2 years. You have to do it through the webpage even if you have notified the teacher.

Other than that, if you decide to stop altogether, it won't affect anything.

Offline rampowers

• Adventurer
@jinteh
Thanks mate, I didn't pay attention to the application period as I saw some people had already successfully applied so I figured it was open for all.

I also see another offline class was added to the list. So it looks like they are still adding more. Crossing my fingers for a closer location.

Offline leighannsun

• Veteran

I also wanted to know if there are any repercussions to joining the program and then dropping out after starting it. The hours for the university are really long and I don't know if I can study that late especially when I'm usually in bed by 10:30pm. (classes are 6:30pm-9:30pm) I want to join but if I don't think it will help me then I want to drop it without any harm to my visa status or future visas for that matter. I got a level 3 but I don't think I deserve a level 3 since I didn't write down anything in the writing sections. ?_? Any help is welcome. Have a great first day with uni classes....that I missed...since I can't register till tomorrow with IE.

You can take a break and they will put you on "leave" which means you can save the hours that you have studied up until your drop out point and then resume the class later.

You have to request that though, on your account through the webpage, if you don't say anything and just leave the class, then they'll just keep marking you absent until you are basically kicked out of the program and put on hold for 2 years. You have to do it through the webpage even if you have notified the teacher.

Other than that, if you decide to stop altogether, it won't affect anything.

Thanks so much for responding! I texted the coordinator (proctor at the pre-test in my area) and he hasn't responded so I've been freaking out. :O

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
Does anyone have experience with requesting to change a level? I was tested into Beginner 2 level at the pretest but I would feel much better starting beginner 1. Is there a number for KIIP?

each area/city should have a local coordinator person for the program there. i got the number of mine by phoning immigration on 1345, who put me through to my local immigration office, who then gave me the number of my person.

good luck doing any of this in english though. most of the people at my local immigration office barely speak english.

Thanks! I'll call 1345 to ask for the coordinator info and hopefully I can get a co-teacher to call for me.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
So in Daegu the Saturday classes are at Kyungil University (호산대학교, it says, but it's at the same campus as Kyungil, go figure). From downtown Daegu that's about an hour by bus or by bus/subway, as it's very near a subway station.

You'd think they'd try to make these things closer to a central location. I can only imagine how screwed someone is if they live on the opposite side of Daegu. Even with a car it's really, really far.

Offline rowdes

• Veteran
So, I called one of the locations in Daegu (계명대학교) and was told that depending on your test level, there may/may not be classes available until a later date.

If you are looking for a certain place/time to study at, and it's not currently on the sign up list; you will probably have to wait until the next semester. In my case, I was told to wait until July.

Offline rampowers

• Adventurer
So, I called one of the locations in Daegu (계명대학교) and was told that depending on your test level, there may/may not be classes available until a later date.

If you are looking for a certain place/time to study at, and it's not currently on the sign up list; you will probably have to wait until the next semester. In my case, I was told to wait until July.
Ouch, I was with several hundred people taking the placement exam so it's rather odd to see nothing for my level (intermediate 1) in all of Daejeon. So it looks like my choices are a 2 hour drive each way, internet classes, or wait until end of summer.  Hmm...

Offline meganb

• Newgookin
Hi! This is my first time applying to the KIIP program. I took the test in Busan, and a friend and I aren't sure whether or not we're missing something on the site. We can both see the list of online classes, but we need to apply for in-person classes. Has anyone in Busan seen the locations yet? Is the correct thing to do to click both the buttons that are applications for the "vicarious class" as well as "deputizing attendance?" Thanks for your help!

Offline Seoulcutie

• Adventurer
I stupidly fell asleep and didn't wake up at midnight to apply for the class I wanted. Of course it's full now and I've been waiting since November....

I am looking to get points for the f-2 visa and am confused about the extra 10 points for completing KIIP. Do you have to do levels 1-5 of the program in order to get the extra 10 points or can you just do level 5 with them and get the certificate?

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
I stupidly fell asleep and didn't wake up at midnight to apply for the class I wanted. Of course it's full now and I've been waiting since November....

I am looking to get points for the f-2 visa and am confused about the extra 10 points for completing KIIP. Do you have to do levels 1-5 of the program in order to get the extra 10 points or can you just do level 5 with them and get the certificate?

you can just do level 5 if you test into it or have TOPIK level 4.

Offline obscuremirage

• Waygookin

MY classes always started at 15 people (to max out at) and increased up to 55. Sometimes you can email the teacher in charge of the class to add you to it( I know several people who used this method), or keep checking to see if space keeps increasing. Hope you can get in to the one you want!

Offline obscuremirage

• Waygookin
Hi! This is my first time applying to the KIIP program. I took the test in Busan, and a friend and I aren't sure whether or not we're missing something on the site. We can both see the list of online classes, but we need to apply for in-person classes. Has anyone in Busan seen the locations yet? Is the correct thing to do to click both the buttons that are applications for the "vicarious class" as well as "deputizing attendance?" Thanks for your help!

Online classes are always posted first and a few days later or maybe a week later in person classes are posted. At least that was my experience with the program. Keep checking the website.^^

Offline rampowers

• Adventurer
So I was lucky enough to successfully apply for one of the online classes (woohoo) but just got a phone call that said because I don't have a kid and am not pregnant, those people get priority and I get bumped. She explained there aren't many pregnancies right now but a lot of people with kids and not just during the online class time-frame I was aiming for but for all the times.

"But the nearest offline class is a 90 minute drive."
"I work nights /weekends as necessary."
Nether of these mattered.

Grrrrrr (in place of the profanity I wish to shout out)

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
So I was lucky enough to successfully apply for one of the online classes (woohoo) but just got a phone call that said because I don't have a kid and am not pregnant, those people get priority and I get bumped. She explained there aren't many pregnancies right now but a lot of people with kids and not just during the online class time-frame I was aiming for but for all the times.

that sucks i was able to take 2 levels online

Online rhchris1

• Veteran

It is luck of the draw sadly with the online classes.  I had to take level 4 twice and the second time, I was able to do it online.  I had my first level 4 teacher contact the people that run the program and she explained that I worked many Saturdays and my work schedule conflicted with in-person classes on weekdays, so when a spot opened up, I had priority.  I also live in Seoul and am male, which my online level 4 teacher was shocked to find out.  Maybe if you get a Korean person to call and talk to them, you could have a similar experience. 

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook

It is luck of the draw sadly with the online classes.  I had to take level 4 twice and the second time, I was able to do it online.  I had my first level 4 teacher contact the people that run the program and she explained that I worked many Saturdays and my work schedule conflicted with in-person classes on weekdays, so when a spot opened up, I had priority.  I also live in Seoul and am male, which my online level 4 teacher was shocked to find out.  Maybe if you get a Korean person to call and talk to them, you could have a similar experience.

i failed the 4th level test. did u auto-pass the second time?

Online rhchris1

• Veteran

i failed the 4th level test. did u auto-pass the second time?

Yeah it was an automatic pass the second time.  I don't know if that was changed recently though.  I was told by my old teacher that there was talk of changing it to where you have to keep taking the class every time you fail.  I finished the program in January, so I'm not 100% sure about the rules for 2016 (in regards to any changes they may've made). 

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
What is the auto-pass stuff?

Online rhchris1

• Veteran
What is the auto-pass stuff?

In recent years, it's been that if you failed the mid-term test for level 1-4 once, you automatically move up to the next level after taking the class a second time (you don't even register for the mid-term exam the second time) and if you failed the level 5 test twice, you automatically finished the program after completing the class a third time.