February 22, 2019, 11:39:54 AM

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191247 times)

Offline F0x

• Newgookin
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #360 on: March 21, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I have 0 lvl,  does it make any sence to go and pass general test (Apr 30)?

Offline chocolate.croissant

• Adventurer
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »
Important FYI for those of you who have a valid TOPIK score: it can serve in place of your level test.  For example, if you passed TOPIK level 4, you can go ahead and take level 5 of KIIP.  I just found this out today, so basically that means I took the level test for no reason and am now in a KIIP level 4 class when I could have advanced directly to the last class.  Now it's too late for me to change.  I heard nothing about this when I registered, my teacher blamed it on the website being in Korean but we all know this program is a mess.  When I registered I even input my TOPIK score, but even though they ask your score they apparently don't take it into account; you have to register another way.

I hope this helps someone, I'm pretty pissed that I went through all the trouble of requesting special time off work just to take level 4 when I could have gone directly to level five.

I have a Level 4 from the TOPIK test - do you know how I can register?

Unfortunately I don't know.  Right now I'm trying to see if there's any way I can jump up to level 5.  I'd get in touch with someone at kiip to find out how.  Supposedly it's on the website but I didn't see it anywhere.

Offline gaelsano

• Waygookin
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
TOPIK doesn't count for anything. You have to take the pre-test, which is much esier than the equivalent TOPIK score. Just don't piss of the judges like I did. They tried pronouncing my last name based on the romanization when they called me for interview portion and I said "[my name's pronunciation]이요?" because I wanted to confirm they weren't mangling a Malayan name that I'm hearing.

I got an angry look and he said "한국말로 해야지! Speak in Korean! (spoken in rude style)" so I got a zero for that part. Good luck to anyone who takes the pre-test. Avoid my mistake and you'll be fine. Post-tests are even easier than the pre-test. Once you get in they just want you to pass and get rid of you.

Offline tasslehoff_11

• Waygookin
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »
When is the next block of pretests?

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
TOPIK doesn't count for anything. You have to take the pre-test, which is much esier than the equivalent TOPIK score. Just don't piss of the judges like I did. They tried pronouncing my last name based on the romanization when they called me for interview portion and I said "[my name's pronunciation]이요?" because I wanted to confirm they weren't mangling a Malayan name that I'm hearing.

I got an angry look and he said "한국말로 해야지! Speak in Korean! (spoken in rude style)" so I got a zero for that part. Good luck to anyone who takes the pre-test. Avoid my mistake and you'll be fine. Post-tests are even easier than the pre-test. Once you get in they just want you to pass and get rid of you.

That's not true at all. My coworker got into level 5 just with TOPIK 4, no pretest. He went to one of their offices in Seoul. You'd probably have to call immigration or look up a number on the website to get the details.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2016, 08:06:24 AM »

gotta love it. at all these korean classes they tell you "speak in Korean!". but then in the english classes all the textbooks are in korean, and all the teachers speak in korean because "the students feel hard to speak english".

that ajjeoshi a-hole probably couldn't understand any english.

• Adventurer
« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Important FYI for those of you who have a valid TOPIK score: it can serve in place of your level test.  For example, if you passed TOPIK level 4, you can go ahead and take level 5 of KIIP.  I just found this out today, so basically that means I took the level test for no reason and am now in a KIIP level 4 class when I could have advanced directly to the last class.  Now it's too late for me to change.  I heard nothing about this when I registered, my teacher blamed it on the website being in Korean but we all know this program is a mess.  When I registered I even input my TOPIK score, but even though they ask your score they apparently don't take it into account; you have to register another way.

I hope this helps someone, I'm pretty pissed that I went through all the trouble of requesting special time off work just to take level 4 when I could have gone directly to level five.

I was finally told by my teacher over the weekend that I can take my TOPIK score sheet to immigration in Mokdong and they will get me into level 5.  It doesn't do me much good at this point because the level five class is already finished, but I can skip the rest of my level 4 classes if I want and skip the exit test.  I don't know if there's an easier way (faxing your score sheet etc.) but there you go.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:44:35 AM by chocolate.croissant »

• Adventurer
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »

So I got into level 5 today.  You just take your TOPIK score sheet and alien card to the seventh floor of the Mokdong office and fill out a form, and they get you right in.  Except for the trip there it's not really a big deal, wish I knew about it earlier.  Not sure if it matters which immigration office you go to.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
has anyone taken the level 4 test?

i'm curious to know what to expect

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
I'm also curious about the test after taking level 5 - how in depth do they go? For example, I've heard that there are specific questions about dates and parts of the national anthem (which we didn't cover in any sort of detail in class).

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #370 on: April 19, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »

Pretty much everything you learned in the book over your 100 hours will not be on the test.  When I did the interview part I think my question was like something about jobs and there was a picture of a fireman and a singer and something else and we had to describe what they all did. 

Pretty much the only thing relevant to what you learned in class is going to be the reading part during the interview where you have to read something and explain it. 

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
I'm also curious about the test after taking level 5 - how in depth do they go? For example, I've heard that there are specific questions about dates and parts of the national anthem (which we didn't cover in any sort of detail in class).

My level 5 final was very similar to my experience with level 4.  I found that every question had little to no relevance to anything I learned in class (a majority being the latter).  There were some reading questions where you had to choose the best summary of the passage, fill in the blanks, etc.  The interview portion was similar.  I prepared myself for answering questions about all the history and the national heroes and what not.  My reading part of the interview portion was about some guy going to visit his family in Gwangju for Chuseok.  Then the rest of the test was spent asking me about American Thanksgiving. 

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »

Pretty much everything you learned in the book over your 100 hours will not be on the test.  When I did the interview part I think my question was like something about jobs and there was a picture of a fireman and a singer and something else and we had to describe what they all did. 

Pretty much the only thing relevant to what you learned in class is going to be the reading part during the interview where you have to read something and explain it.

woah really? the textbook had little to do with the test? that's actually really surprising

how was the writing? i heard something like 100-200 characters

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »

woah really? the textbook had little to do with the test? that's actually really surprising

how was the writing? i heard something like 100-200 characters

You have to write at least 50 and no more than 200.  You have 5 minutes to write.  A chunk of your writing score is based on length.  Less than 50 is 0 points, 50-100 is like 2 points, and over 100 is full points (for length).  The questions are usually easy questions like "What are the good parts and bad parts of the internet?" (that was my level 5 question, but I forgot what my level 4 question was)  So even though it's only 5 minutes, you can fill up 200 spaces easily. 

Offline kitty222

• Explorer
« Reply #374 on: April 20, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

My level 5 final was very similar to my experience with level 4.  I found that every question had little to no relevance to anything I learned in class (a majority being the latter).  There were some reading questions where you had to choose the best summary of the passage, fill in the blanks, etc.  The interview portion was similar.  I prepared myself for answering questions about all the history and the national heroes and what not.  My reading part of the interview portion was about some guy going to visit his family in Gwangju for Chuseok.  Then the rest of the test was spent asking me about American Thanksgiving.
Am I the only one who walked out of that Level 5 exam knowing I had failed?
I am just freaking  out over all those crazy multiple choice questions.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:03 AM »

I actually took it twice.  Interestingly enough the first time I was confident I passed, but I didn't and the second time I was sure I failed and would have to sit through the class a third time, but passed. 

Offline kitty222

• Explorer
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

I actually took it twice.  Interestingly enough the first time I was confident I passed, but I didn't and the second time I was sure I failed and would have to sit through the class a third time, but passed.
What did you think helped you pass the second time? I am still confused as to how they calculate the points?

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »

What did you think helped you pass the second time? I am still confused as to how they calculate the points?

I honestly don't know.  I guess I was more relaxed the second time.  I paid almost no attention (I was the student that was always on their phone) the second time I took the class.  Didn't matter since the material on the test isn't related to the class anyway.  Could also have been that I knew what to expect since I took it once before. 

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
anyway you suggest preparing for level 4, since it isn't really on the book? prepare the same way as for a topik test?

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2016, 03:11:36 PM »

I honestly don't know.  I guess I was more relaxed the second time.  I paid almost no attention (I was the student that was always on their phone) the second time I took the class.  Didn't matter since the material on the test isn't related to the class anyway.  Could also have been that I knew what to expect since I took it once before.

You can use your phone in the test?!