February 22, 2019, 11:44:04 AM

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191249 times)

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
Class registration is a rolling process. Not all will open up at the same, and if one location gets a lot of demand they will probably open another one up after a week or two. If you are curious you can contact the locations directly and ask (This will have to be done in Korean unfortunately, like most of the things- which is crazy for a Korean language program with beginner levels)

I have called them on several occasions and they never. know.  =(  They just say wait for a text message, which I have never gotten.  >.>

Are you talking about Immigration or the direct locations (the universities hosting the courses).

The universities will only text message you if you are already enrolled. Immigration sometimes text messages, but I can't remember a specific one for enrollment- usually it's up to you to  be ready to enroll when the classes open (which I believe is the 20th of January, but my memory is a bit hazy about that).

What I was talking about with contacting the different locations is that if all the classes are filled, thats when you can phone the universities to either beg to be included in a class or find out if they are thinking about opening another class in the future. Because of a phone call I made to a university, I knew that a class would be opening on a specific date, and was ready to enroll on that day, which allowed me to get ahead of others who maybe didn't know.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
Are there only certain uiversities that offer these programs or is it typically available at most unis?
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #322 on: December 22, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »
Are there only certain uiversities that offer these programs or is it typically available at most unis?

the program is technically run by the kroean government, in terms of districts, not by universities. so it's really up to each district where they decide to run the program. they could hold it in a lecture room in city hall or something if they wanted to.

i think a lot of the districts just choose government universities to hold the courses at since they have lecture/teaching facilities available, and maybe they contract university staff to run the language courses. since they're government universities they probably get the facilities for free too, as opposed to having to pay.

that's how i understand it anyway.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #323 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
just a little bit of info. The locations actually apply to be hosts of the program, the most recent document in the 'news' section of the website is about recruitment for these places and the application forms they need to fill in. It was interesting to read, as it listed some of the things you don't normally know. The quota for locations in each district/city etc, facilities they should be able to provide, how many students (more than 10 in  class), need for public insurance it seems. It seems that the universities can suggest their budget, rather than the government saying "this is how much we pay", which is suprising to me- but usually in a contract bidding situation, this means the companies have to be mindful of asking too much.

Just to clarify my previous post, since I kept referring to locations as universities, I don't believe the hosts have to be necessarily universities (you'll see cultural centers and similar places being locations as well), but they often are because they already have language programs and all the necessary facilities, so they just add it on and get some money.

I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline chocolate.croissant

• Adventurer
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
Class registration is a rolling process. Not all will open up at the same, and if one location gets a lot of demand they will probably open another one up after a week or two. If you are curious you can contact the locations directly and ask (This will have to be done in Korean unfortunately, like most of the things- which is crazy for a Korean language program with beginner levels)

I have called them on several occasions and they never. know.  =(  They just say wait for a text message, which I have never gotten.  >.>

Are you talking about Immigration or the direct locations (the universities hosting the courses).

The universities will only text message you if you are already enrolled. Immigration sometimes text messages, but I can't remember a specific one for enrollment- usually it's up to you to  be ready to enroll when the classes open (which I believe is the 20th of January, but my memory is a bit hazy about that).

What I was talking about with contacting the different locations is that if all the classes are filled, thats when you can phone the universities to either beg to be included in a class or find out if they are thinking about opening another class in the future. Because of a phone call I made to a university, I knew that a class would be opening on a specific date, and was ready to enroll on that day, which allowed me to get ahead of others who maybe didn't know.

Calling the individual locations.  Did you just call over and over again until they did know something?

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »

Calling the individual locations.  Did you just call over and over again until they did know something?

I only needed to call once and they said the date it would probably open, but they won't know until that date basically anyway. Up to you how much you call I guess, based on what they tell you.

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Has anyone had any updates or luck yet? I've still not seen anything on the website as of yet. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be posted yesterday.

Thanks!

• Adventurer
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Has anyone had any updates or luck yet? I've still not seen anything on the website as of yet. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be posted yesterday.

Thanks!

I also thought it was gonna be up today but I don't see anything.  Argh these people.  =/

• Adventurer
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »

I only needed to call once and they said the date it would probably open, but they won't know until that date basically anyway. Up to you how much you call I guess, based on what they tell you.

So frustrating.  Thanks for the info!

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
Just another FYI for anyone coming across this post. I think the next round of classes will be up around January 20th. That is the definite date given for when classes will start to become available  for Level 5 classes, so is probably a good ballpark time for when other classes will be available as well.

Offline lieueez

• Waygookin
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:40 PM »
Does anyone know the testing location for the January 16 placement test in Seoul? I'm registered for the exam, but I don't know where to go.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »
Does anyone know the testing location for the January 16 placement test in Seoul? I'm registered for the exam, but I don't know where to go.

I think it's based on which immigration office you're registered with.  I think everyone registered at the Seoul immigration office goes to Soongsil University.  I've lived in Seongnam and I've lived on the edge of western Seoul and every test I've taken (placement or final) has been at Soongsil. 

Offline jinteh

• Veteran
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »

The two times I took the test, the location didn't get posted until a few days before. I'd check it again this Thursday.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
Just signed up for an online class, but did some research and discovered that you need a Microsoft computer for the class program (.exe file). Would that work on a tablet? I only have a Mac currently...

Or - would it work on something like VirtualBox? I could do something like Bootcamp, but my Mac is kinda old (2010), so I'm not sure how much memory / processing power I can spare...

Alternatively, I'm willing to wait for an in-class option, I just have no idea when/where those would be available.

Does anyone know / have information on when/where (in Gangwondo) Level 5 classes tend to be?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:10:22 AM by shostager »

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #334 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
So, it's now the 20th and.... still nothing.

I guess I'll wait until the end of the day before making any calls etc. Is anyone able to see the classes posted or are they definitely not up yet? Thanks!

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #335 on: January 20, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »

I guess I'll wait until the end of the day before making any calls etc. Is anyone able to see the classes posted or are they definitely not up yet? Thanks!

Not up for me, but I thought that was maybe to do with the Level 5 and how it's usually a smaller group with smaller offerings. Just keep checking in on the site, classes should start coming up (today? tomorrow?). Now it's all a waiting game

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #336 on: January 20, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »

Not up for me, but I thought that was maybe to do with the Level 5 and how it's usually a smaller group with smaller offerings. Just keep checking in on the site, classes should start coming up (today? tomorrow?). Now it's all a waiting game

I have a notice from them saying that all classes should be up today. They gave it to me at the end of the exam, but it seems like you're right. Just a waiting game...

I'll make sure to post as soon as I see them appear online. I hope you get the class you're looking for!

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »
Still nothing showing up for me... anyone else see the dates yet?

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
Nothing up for me either, and apparently the person in charge of that in my area is out on a business trip until sometime tomorrow, so I'm not expecting to see any information anytime today...possibly not even this week.

Offline EditHero

• Adventurer
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
I had an online class pop up and I clicked to apply to it and my reason for applying was listed as work because I work in Yongin but I live in Seoul so its complicated... and now my my page page says my deputized class was rejected....

What should I do now?