February 22, 2019, 12:22:10 PM

Author Topic: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)  (Read 191264 times)

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

Can anyone confirm/explain the midterm? So we have to take the midterm in order to take the final?

Has there already been sign-ups for the supposed march date for the mid-term?

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »

So a mid-term test now appears in the 평가신청 section. When I click  "application" I receive "You are not an attendant for midterm test". Anyone have experience with this?

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »
I called immigration about a similar problem I was having (I'd already "registered for the program" but not the pre-test so i was clicking the wrong link).

They were really helpful and she had some of the best English I've had on the phone in Korea. Didn't need to slow down or modify my language. Every time I call immigration I'm shocked at how easy it is. Just saying that if you try calling them, they might be able to help you better/quicker than here?
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
I want to ask if anyone has had a similar situation in their KIIP class with terrible classroom etiquette.

In the class I'm attending, I have witnessed multiple examples of poor classroom etiquette:

-Students answering calls and making outgoing calls in the middle of class then continuing to have a full conversation.
-Students watching soccer games on their phones on low volume.
-Students from other classes randomly coming in the class and having conversations with other friends in the middle of class (it's a class of only 20 students so it's very distracting).

The problems listed above are constant and I feel for the teacher because the problem students are adults (over 40) and how do you scold adults? 

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar situation in their class (I'm in Level 1), or is my class the exception... or maybe that this is the new norm of adult classrooms and I was just unaware of it because I finished university before everyone started getting smartphones?

Any context that others could give might help me be more patient, or embolden  me to try to solve the issues.

Offline leabea87

• Veteran
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »
@ohar94 What you described and then some, is exactly what I experienced when I was enrolled in level one. But this past Saturday, I began the level two course and it would appear that said behavior is the norm. As you said, the worst thing about their lack of classroom etiquette is the fact that they're all adults and should know better. At one point during level one, my teacher got fed up and flipped. It was a long time comin' if you ask me. Would you consider staying after class one day and asking the teacher to go over the rules at the beginning of the next class? This way, no one person will feel singled out...

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:45 PM »

My online class is fine. I think it's hard to act distracting in that setting though.

I also think that English speaking countries tend to have a very no nonsense classrooms/meetings/etc. The first meeting with our new principal and people were chatting and looking at their phones when she took the floor.

Offline haksengs

• Adventurer
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
I want to ask if anyone has had a similar situation in their KIIP class with terrible classroom etiquette...

I don't want to defend their behavior, but maybe offer and explanation.

When I took the pretest, there seemed to be an unexpectedly high number of people from the same country who didn't know how to do a multiple choice test. Even after it was explained, some still marked the wrong paper or marked it incorrectly. There were a few times also when they translated for each other during the speaking part if someone didn't understand. I was a bit surprised, too, but I thought it might be possible that they didn't receive very high education in their home countries and just don't know how to behave in a classroom. Or maybe that behaviour is permissible in their culture. Or maybe they're just rude.

Would you consider staying after class one day and asking the teacher to go over the rules at the beginning of the next class? This way, no one person will feel singled out...

This sounds pretty good to start with.

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
@ leabea87 thanks for the advice, I think that I will say something to my teacher if he doesn't address it this week on his own.

@haksengs I think that you may be right on why they think that it is okay to act that way.  It seems to be the older people in those groups that are acting poorly, and it makes sense that they would be less likely to know better because of lack of opportunity to experience higher education.

I hope that my teacher tries to make them aware that their behavior is not acceptable.  Your responses have given me some patients going into this next week... I just hope that it doesn't get worse... :huh:

Online belo horizonte

• Veteran
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »
In my KIIP level 1 class everyone is very well behaved. The majority of the class are teachers though, so they should know how to behave. Must be very difficult having 4 hour lessons with people misbehaving like that.

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
@belo horizonte It's an 8 hour class :-[, please realize how lucky you are lol

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
I wasn't able to get into any classes before now, but I'm signed up to take one starting at the end of March.

My question is: What is the minimum number of students necessary for a class? I'm the only one signed up for my class right now, and I know that my previous college, at least, would cancel smaller classes.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
Any veterans able to shed some light on the situation for me, a first timer?  My class started on March 2nd, so I thought it was weird that the midterm test was on March 14th, and the website tells me I'm "not an attendant for midterm test" anyway.  I asked my teacher today and she told me that I don't have to take it, but if I study hard, I can do well on the final and move up to level 5 next time.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?   

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I'm making a memrise vocabulary course for KIIP level 1. 

There are other KIIP memrise courses but I think the books were updated this year so the old memrise courses don't match my class' textbook.

I'm adding the vocabulary list at the end of each chapter.  Feel free to use it and I will add more every week.

http://www.memrise.com/course/582824/kiip-level-1-2015/

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Any veterans able to shed some light on the situation for me, a first timer?  My class started on March 2nd, so I thought it was weird that the midterm test was on March 14th, and the website tells me I'm "not an attendant for midterm test" anyway.  I asked my teacher today and she told me that I don't have to take it, but if I study hard, I can do well on the final and move up to level 5 next time.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

What level are you? I was confused by the "mid-term" test but I think it's the test you take to go up to the next level and the "final test" is the test one takes after level 5. My guess is that you can't register for a "mid-term' test until all the hours are filled for you class.

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
If you are in the Level 4 class, you will take a 'Mid-term' test, at the end of your course, at the immigration office (or center where you took your placement exam). If you pass this exam, you will go up to level 5.  If you fail this exam, you will have to repeat level 4.

If you are in the level 4 class, and failed the exam once, and are currently repeating, you will still have to sit the exam, but regardless of your score, you will move to level 5.

The March 14 midterm exam is for students who finished the course at the end of February. Your course started on March 2nd, so you don't need to worry about this exam. Your exam will be in May.

If you are at level 0, 1, 2 or 3 you will sit a test with your teacher at the end of your course, and if you pass, you will move up to the next level. If you fail, you will be asked to resit that level again.

Don't stress the exams on the website for now. You will be told closer to your test/exam when to look into them.

Good luck.

I am currently studying Level 4, and started on February 1st. I studied level 3 last year.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
If you are in the Level 4 class, you will take a 'Mid-term' test, at the end of your course, at the immigration office (or center where you took your placement exam). If you pass this exam, you will go up to level 5.  If you fail this exam, you will have to repeat level 4.

If you are in the level 4 class, and failed the exam once, and are currently repeating, you will still have to sit the exam, but regardless of your score, you will move to level 5.

The March 14 midterm exam is for students who finished the course at the end of February. Your course started on March 2nd, so you don't need to worry about this exam. Your exam will be in May.

If you are at level 0, 1, 2 or 3 you will sit a test with your teacher at the end of your course, and if you pass, you will move up to the next level. If you fail, you will be asked to resit that level again.

Don't stress the exams on the website for now. You will be told closer to your test/exam when to look into them.

Good luck.

I am currently studying Level 4, and started on February 1st. I studied level 3 last year.

Thanks so much.  I currently am in Level 4 as well.  I was worried for nothing then.  Just gotta make sure I get to class for 80 hours at least, so I can take the exam. 

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »

Thanks so much.  I currently am in Level 4 as well.  I was worried for nothing then.  Just gotta make sure I get to class for 80 hours at least, so I can take the exam.

No worries. Are you currently studying online? Or are you studying at a center? I tried to get into the online class this semester, but the class was full before I could apply. The network was letting some people into their accounts and not letting others in, and those of us who couldn't get in, in time, were told Tough S$@! for online classes. It's really frustrating when I was studying online last year and couldn't continue to do so, as it fits my schedule better. I am stuck attending only 4 hours out of 8, on a Sunday, which concerns me a lot, as I will only make 50% of the classes, but my teacher told me it's okay, she will help me to keep up, as I have a legitimate reason for not making the first half of each Sunday.

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »

No worries. Are you currently studying online? Or are you studying at a center? I tried to get into the online class this semester, but the class was full before I could apply. The network was letting some people into their accounts and not letting others in, and those of us who couldn't get in, in time, were told Tough S$@! for online classes. It's really frustrating when I was studying online last year and couldn't continue to do so, as it fits my schedule better. I am stuck attending only 4 hours out of 8, on a Sunday, which concerns me a lot, as I will only make 50% of the classes, but my teacher told me it's okay, she will help me to keep up, as I have a legitimate reason for not making the first half of each Sunday.

Unfortunately I was also too late to sign up for the online class.  Luckily there was a center offering morning classes (I work at a hagwon) on MWF 35 minutes, via subway, from my place, so I wasn't too beat up about it.  I think I actually prefer the in-class option.  Being able to interact with people helps me concentrate for some reason. 

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
bless you for that info

I'm really happy I decided to do these classes even though it was kind of a pain getting to this point. Having classes everyday has really improved my comprehension. I was able to get into an online class but it starts at the end of my workday, so I can just finish it out at my school which is kind of perfect.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:37:39 PM by Mashley30 »

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
bless you for that info

I'm really happy I decided to do these classes even it was kind of a pain getting to this point. Having classes everyday has really improved my comprehension. I was able to get into an online class but it start at the end of my workday, so I can just finish it out at my school which is kind of perfect.

I am jealous! I really prefer the online classes! This year, there were only 2 options for Level 4, 10am to 12pm or 8-10pm. I was in the 8-10pm class last year, but couldn't get into it this year. It's frustrating as it was the only one that fits my schedule. (Public school teacher with night classes finishing at 6pm once a week).

Unfortunately I was also too late to sign up for the online class.  Luckily there was a center offering morning classes (I work at a hagwon) on MWF 35 minutes, via subway, from my place, so I wasn't too beat up about it.  I think I actually prefer the in-class option.  Being able to interact with people helps me concentrate for some reason. 

Sounds like you have an ideal situation too! I would love to do more than once a week... I'd have more of a chance of attending every class or at least 94% of the classes. Sadly, with my schedule (hectic and full) I barely make what I am now. I am the only female in my class, and get hit on constantly by a couple of my classmates inspite of being married and them knowing it. Besides these small setbacks, I really like the KIIP program and all its quirks. I've learned a lot so far, and look forward to learning more.