May 22, 2018, 12:26:58 AM

Author Topic: What is open during Chuseok?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
What is open during Chuseok?
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Can I buy food? Can I ride the bus? Can I drink at a bar or cafe?

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
Re: What is open during Chuseok?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
Yes. A lot of things are open. There may be reduced service with buses, but they won't shut down completely. If their Sunday/holiday schedules are different from the Monday-Saturday schedules, they'll go with that.

When I was in Seoul last year, it seemed like a lot of places closed on the second day of the holiday, or the first and second, or second and third, but none closed for the whole three days. This could apply to grocery stores, restaurants, cafes - you can check the websites or the actual stores, they may well have postings up already to let you know when they'll be open.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline Jaunter

• Super Waygook
  • Once, twice, three times a NET
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »
I'm staying in Seoul over Chuseok and had the same concern, especially since I want to go see famous stuff around the city. I ended up calling the tourist hotline (1330) and asking if places like Changdeok-gung, Namsan Tower, and ferry services would be open, and they said yes, everything would be open as usual.
_ゝ`) ...

Offline terivinix

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
This might help, though obviously there are a few things to ignore. I'd say don't bother with any of the markets including Insadong. And it's funny that they're still advertising for Yongsan Electronics Market, which is basically closed and demolished now.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FU/FU_EN_15.jsp?nCategoryID=1&SearchType&keyword=chuseok&gotoPage=1&cid=1943435&cCode&searchType&searchKeyword=chuseok

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »
In terms of bars and restaurants and stores being open or closed, from last year what I saw in Daejeon was that it was pretty random. During the three main days of Chuseok, probably 80% of places were closed.

Offline AnnieMarie

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
i think monday will be the only day you will have limited choices as it is the actual holiday. everland offers half price tix over the holidays, fyi. it makes it worth the trip. happy holidays!!   ;D

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
Probably things will be closed Monday, but should be open on Sunday and Tuesday.

Offline KINwithaG

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »
This might help, though obviously there are a few things to ignore. I'd say don't bother with any of the markets including Insadong. And it's funny that they're still advertising for Yongsan Electronics Market, which is basically closed and demolished now.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FU/FU_EN_15.jsp?nCategoryID=1&SearchType&keyword=chuseok&gotoPage=1&cid=1943435&cCode&searchType&searchKeyword=chuseok

Damn. Is Yongsan electronic market really dead?? I haven't been there in a while but I've been wanting to go and check something out.    Is it dead, or did I misunderstand? Plz tell me it's only closed for the holiday... :(

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »

Damn. Is Yongsan electronic market really dead?? I haven't been there in a while but I've been wanting to go and check something out.    Is it dead, or did I misunderstand? Plz tell me it's only closed for the holiday... :(

Yongsan was the spot. Hopefully they just moved?

Offline matthewm12

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Most places will close during midday but open at night. People want to go out drinking with their extended family, get out of the house, etc.

Offline jesAaKa1023

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
I'm staying in Seoul over Chuseok and had the same concern, especially since I want to go see famous stuff around the city. I ended up calling the tourist hotline (1330) and asking if places like Changdeok-gung, Namsan Tower, and ferry services would be open, and they said yes, everything would be open as usual.

If you are planning on visiting Namsan tower there will probably be a ridiculous line. I went during Lunar New Year because I thought that the lines would be manageable... after all everyone is suppose to visit their hometown, right?  Wrong. Although many people do go home, many of the rest go to Seoul, or visit the touristy sites with their family. Having said that, the wait will be significantly shorter if you bypass the cabel car and walk up to the tower from Myeongdong station.

Offline anichion

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
Most of Yongsan Electronics market is still open. They just tore down the middle building with the tube. But the one in the station is still open and the far building with the cell phone shops/[mod edit- that is not to be discussed on an open channel] and the one across the parking lot where you buy computer parts, security cams and [mod edit- that too] . Also the shops going into the neighborhood are still there, including the [mod edit-especially that] shop. I doubt anything will be open between Sun-Tue, so shop now or have plenty of duck tape around.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

Yeah, pretty much all the touristy places in Seoul will be open during Chuseok.

Offline terivinix

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
Most of Yongsan Electronics market is still open. They just tore down the middle building with the tube. But the one in the station is still open and the far building with the cell phone shops/[mod edit- that is not to be discussed on an open channel] and the one across the parking lot where you buy computer parts, security cams and [mod edit- that too] . Also the shops going into the neighborhood are still there, including the [mod edit-especially that] shop. I doubt anything will be open between Sun-Tue, so shop now or have plenty of duck tape around.

I guess you could say most of it is still open, but with the main building gone, I don't really see the point of the rest of the market.

Offline BigEaredHylian

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
What about Hongdae?!?!

Offline terivinix

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
What about Hongdae?!?!

You can expect more foreigners, fewer Koreans. That likely means smaller crowds, and there will probably be a lot of extra room at places that are usually too crowded like Gopchangjeongol and Magpie. It also means lots of closed businesses and fewer organised events; there is an extremely low number of concerts this weekend.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »

i've never actually been to Yongsan before but after all these mod edits i feel like i have to go there just to check out what's been edited out  :laugh:

Offline BigEaredHylian

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
What about Hongdae?!?!

You can expect more foreigners, fewer Koreans. That likely means smaller crowds, and there will probably be a lot of extra room at places that are usually too crowded like Gopchangjeongol and Magpie. It also means lots of closed businesses and fewer organised events; there is an extremely low number of concerts this weekend.

Perfect! That's actually what I prefer! Smaller crowds that is. I'll miss most of my Korean friends. At least more foreigners in Hongdae is still a cultural exchange for me as people come from everywhere there.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Chuseok is my favourite time for shopping! Last year I went up to Seoul for a few days during Chuseok and mostly everything in Myeongdong was open and NO LINES or CROWDS! It was fantastic!

Offline BigEaredHylian

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »
I'm sure they're closed on Monday but do you think the banks would be open Tuesday and Wednesday? I really need to go to the bank but of course my class hours interfere with bank hours. Any people here who have been around this time of the year and know?