May 24, 2018, 04:32:39 AM

Author Topic: Where to buy things for my apartment?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline hippiebanana13

• Adventurer
Where to buy things for my apartment?
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
I recently had to fly home for a funeral and ever since I've returned to Korea, I've been horrifically homesick. I feel like making my apartment look more homey (and less like a clinical, off-white box) will help, so I'm trying to buy some cute and cheap things to brighten it up a little.

I've raided practically every Daiso and Artbox in Seoul, but does anyone know of any other shops that sell stuff for your apartment? I'd love some cheap cushions especially.

Also, if anyone has any tips for decorating/personalising your apartment without risking your deposit, please feel free to share!

Offline spider129

• Waygookin
Re: Where to buy things for my apartment?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
amazon ships some items to Korea. Not sure if it would be totally worth it after shipping, maybe $10 or so for small items (please take into account that there may be a customs fee).

gmarket is another option. There is an English page, but still kind of difficult to navigate. Some good deals on there though.

As far as giving your apartment a different look... measure one wall, maybe the one behind your bed) go to a fabric shop and get a giant sheet. Get one or different colors. It should create the illusion of a more spacious apartment, while giving your place a cozier appearance.
iherb coupon code: WVR667
New customers: $10 off
Repeat customers: $5 off

or click link: http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=WVR667rcode=WVR667

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
Yes, set up a gmarket account. The English site is actually easy to navigate though I am sure the Korean site has more deals... Everything you need for your apartment is available on gmarket and the majority of items come with free shipping. The prices usually are better than Homeplus and E-mart.

Offline furtakk

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
Express Bus Terminal has loooooads of shops with cheap home-deco stuff. It's in the underground shopping mall and stretches from the department store towards 신반포. Probably best physcial place in Seoul for that sort of thing.

Offline stemarty

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »
- gmarket (there is an English site and they will deliver to your door)
**note on using gmarket for furniture/home items:
a) some stores will use a local delivery service and you will be expected to pay the delivery fee at your door upon arrival. This can be anywhere from 5000-80,000 per item.
Before you buy check to make sure delivery is free or see how much it will cost you.

b) You need a phone number to purchase anything. I suggest, for the big important stuff, you give them your co-teachers number (or a friend who speaks korean) because if the delivery guy is lost or will be delayed he will call you! (ask your friend, first!)
They get annoyed if they cannot explain whats going on.

- Homeplus / Emart / department stores
- IKEA (there is an online korea store too. Never used it though)
- Artbox
- underground subway markets. (someone already said the express bus terminal underground market....that is a great place to get homely stuff!!!)
- Costco

You can also:
- print off black and white photos of things you love (or photos you've taken) and stick them on your wall like wallpaper. I've covered an entire wall this way and it looks great!
- Get a rug (available at most bedding stores or homeplus / gmarket) It shapes a room up really nicely.
- plants!!!!! A big beautiful pot of flowers makes things so much more lively.
- Lamps: don't turn on that fluorescent lights. They are ugly and sickly.
Get a lamp with a warm toned light bulb. Better yet...CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!!!! (sorry i got a little excited) White warm toned christmas lights make a room look really calming in the evening.
- Change your kitchen utensils, plates, mugs, and cups. Try getting a color scheme going that is pleasing to you. Noting beats a long day like sitting in my favorite chair with my favorite mug of green tea.
- BEAN. BAG. CHAIR. Best $100 I ever spent. I got mine on Gmarket and it was delivered to my door free of charge.
- curtains (harder to find but available online and at homeplus)
- wall stickers (available at every stationary, daiso, homeplus, gmarket, and most large chain grocery stores)
- You can also get window stickers. I got frosted ones with a leaf pattern that still let in the light, but give me privacy. 
- book shelves: They can hold more than books! They can store trinkets, boxes, collector items, games, movies, computer items...... and they are great space fillers.
- Change up your bedding and buy some new fluffy pillows (available gmarket, IKEA, bedding stores, and even dollar stores)
- Get some nice square couch pillows too.

Lastly: Travel and buy things that you can put up like tapestries, wall hangings, trinkets, flags, or posters.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:29:50 AM by stemarty »

Offline moc-moc-a-moc!

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
Also, if anyone has any tips for decorating/personalising your apartment without risking your deposit, please feel free to share!

If you don't mind abusing your workplace's printers or laminating equipment you can make yourself a wall sized poster of just about anything you want using this website.

I made a 3x3 ft sized version of one of my favourite album covers that hangs over my sofa. It's definitely a personal touch if nothing else.

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
I recently had to fly home for a funeral and ever since I've returned to Korea, I've been horrifically homesick. I feel like making my apartment look more homey (and less like a clinical, off-white box) will help, so I'm trying to buy some cute and cheap things to brighten it up a little.

I've raided practically every Daiso and Artbox in Seoul, but does anyone know of any other shops that sell stuff for your apartment? I'd love some cheap cushions especially.

This might risk your deposit, but I put up white fairy lights in my room. It's something I've had in my dorm rooms and apartments since I left home for college, so it helps a lot. I used hooks I found at daiso that stick to the wall. The kind I picked up do take off a little wallpaper, but they don't leave marks on wood or plastic.

Get pictures of family, friends, places you like - hang them on twine or string with those tiny clothes pins you can find at most stationery stores.

Something not to overlook is smell - scented candles, incense, those room sprays they sell at The Body Shop - it's a kind of sensory memory thing. This link has a bit of info if you feel like reading about it. http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/perception/smell3.htm

You can also try rearranging your apartment. I know the tiny one rooms don't feel very flexible, but maybe there's a better configuration for the furniture.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

If you don't mind abusing your workplace's printers or laminating equipment you can make yourself a wall sized poster of just about anything you want using this website.

I made a 3x3 ft sized version of one of my favourite album covers that hangs over my sofa. It's definitely a personal touch if nothing else.

You can also:
- print off black and white photos of things you love (or photos you've taken) and stick them on your wall like wallpaper. I've covered an entire wall this way and it looks great!

I second the Rasterbator site. It's pretty awesome and does make a blank wall look much better. Plus, it's cheaper than actually buying posters or art.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm