March 21, 2019, 05:24:35 PM

Author Topic: New Korail website  (Read 15507 times)

Offline masterpayne

• Adventurer
New Korail website
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »
Korail have changed the design of their website to an even more unhelpful format.

For all those who wish to reserve tickets or just see times use this new website address.

http://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/EbizBfTicketSearch.do

Offline bird212

• Super Waygook
Re: New Korail website
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »
thanks for this. i'd been trying to use the other for awhile haha
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
Coincidentally, the other day I tried looking on the Korail website and had a hard time navigating it/finding the "booking online" page, but found it eventually. Good idea to post it here.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
Just booked some tickets on the new site, it was the same as the old site and no problems, even worked with Firefox.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Just booked some tickets on the new site, it was the same as the old site and no problems, even worked with Firefox.

Have to give them credit, Korail is practically the only site where buying something online involves a minimum of aggravation, stress, and ActiveX.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

Have to give them credit, Korail is practically the only site where buying something online involves a minimum of aggravation, stress, and ActiveX.

Very true... and it doesn't look too bad a site.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »
Why does it ask for my passport number on the booking page? Should I use my ARC number?

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
Why does it ask for my passport number on the booking page? Should I use my ARC number?

They use your passport number to look up your reservation number, as well as actually printing your ticket out at the station.

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »

You have to give both, when you pick up your tickets they ask for your passport. Some of the officials are a little lenient but mostly they won't give you a ticket without your passport.

Actually you raised a point I have been meaning to address. It is my understanding that the Korean government outlawed the practice of having to give ARC numbers.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
I've bought train tickets before in person, at a ticket office, and I don't remember giving them either number.  It was just like buying a bus ticket. Strange.

Offline apetranoff

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
The passport number is just to confirm that you are the person who made the reservation so they don't give the seats to the wrong person.  Everyone has a passport number when they travel internationally, so it's the go to reservation confirmation number. 

I just carry a copy of my passport in my wallet and show that at the desk along with my reservation sheet.  I've never had a problem getting the tickets I reserved and then I don't have to worry about having my passport on me at all times. 

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »
I've bought train tickets before in person, at a ticket office, and I don't remember giving them either number.  It was just like buying a bus ticket. Strange.

They only ask for the passenger's passport number when you book your tickets online; if you are buying the tickets in person, they don't ask for it or need it. As someone else already said, it's just for proof/verification that you are the person who booked the ticket online, which they will then print out for you.

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »

They only ask for the passenger's passport number when you book your tickets online; if you are buying the tickets in person, they don't ask for it or need it. As someone else already said, it's just for proof/verification that you are the person who booked the ticket online, which they will then print out for you.

I have no problem with the passport number and online booking, it is my ARC number I am concerned about, with all the ID theft, I heard it is now outlawed to ask online.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
I have no problem with the passport number and online booking, it is my ARC number I am concerned about, with all the ID theft, I heard it is now outlawed to ask online.

Oh, okay -- it's outlawed to ask for the ARC number online only. I know my bank still definitely asks to see my ARC card. About a month ago, I needed to exchange some money at my bank, and I wrote down my passport number on the form I had to fill out, but for some reason, the teller told me to change it to my ARC number; I wasn't really sure why, as the teller couldn't speak English and my Korean's not that great, but oh well.

Offline Jargo

• Adventurer
  • SMOE
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
What I don't understand about the booking page is that they ask for your nationality and passport number, which means they know you are a foreigner living in Korea, but then they ask for your "Resident Registration Number", i.e. an ID number just for Koreans, when you try to use a Korean issued bank card to buy a ticket. So I can't buy a ticket.  :cry:
i am often wrong

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
What I don't understand about the booking page is that they ask for your nationality and passport number, which means they know you are a foreigner living in Korea, but then they ask for your "Resident Registration Number", i.e. an ID number just for Koreans, when you try to use a Korean issued bank card to buy a ticket. So I can't buy a ticket.  :cry:
It doesn't allow you to enter your ARN instead?

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »

Yes, you can use the number on your Alien Card, I do it all the time.

Offline Jargo

• Adventurer
  • SMOE
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »

I tried my ARC but it was rejected. I just realised it might have something to do with my bank account and my current ARC number potentially not matching. So maybe ARC works fine.
i am often wrong

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
I dunno if they have changed it, but on the old Korail website the passport number request was just so you could log back in with that number and look at your reservation. You could probably have just put in 12345 and it would have worked.

When you went to the train station and asked them to print out your tickets, all you had to give them was the ticket reservation number, not your ARC # or passport #. Usually I'd bring a printed copy of the reservation confirmation, or just hand them a piece of paper with the reservation # written on it. They'd look it up and print out your tix. Hopefully it's still like this because it was simple.

Sure would be nice though if you could just print out tickets from their website, or if they had English kiosks that didn't require you to be a Korail member. Fortunately it never took me too long to wait in line to get my tickets printed.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

I tried my ARC but it was rejected. I just realised it might have something to do with my bank account and my current ARC number potentially not matching. So maybe ARC works fine.

Mmm strange, it has nothing to do with your bank account because I used my SA credit card a couple of times when I was having issues with my Korean one. Remember to just input the last 7 digits of your ARC number not the whole thing.