March 21, 2019, 05:25:15 PM

Author Topic: Samsung's Shocking treatment of employees..  (Read 9399 times)

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
Re: Samsung's Shocking treatment of employees..
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
I am not shocked at all about it. Samsung owns the government. When I was in university, we learned that 35% of the South Korean economy is directly or indirectly dependent on Samsung. I think LG was another 12%, and the other Chaebals were also pretty high. I think the top eight control more than 95% of the economy here.

That being said, Samsung can do whatever the hell it wants. It is government backed and can do no wrong. South Korea needs Samsung. That is due to their obsessive nature to follow Japanese business models. There is a lot of irony in that, but that is how it is.

Offline RangerMcGreggor

• Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

Anyways, I had heard the wages starting out were close to ours, but went up quickly and they got really generous bonuses a couple of times a year.

Me too.  ESL teachers in Korea have a high-floor/low-ceiling salary structure that people seem to forget.  Our entry level salaries are actually incredibly high for those entering the job market for the first time (especially when you consider housing) but we don't get much higher than that.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »

Anyways, I had heard the wages starting out were close to ours, but went up quickly and they got really generous bonuses a couple of times a year.

Me too.  ESL teachers in Korea have a high-floor/low-ceiling salary structure that people seem to forget.  Our entry level salaries are actually incredibly high for those entering the job market for the first time (especially when you consider housing) but we don't get much higher than that.

Yeah, not a lot of upside to this job after a while unless you can work illegally tutoring or you get an F-visa.

I've heard of Samsung guys pulling 20mil + around bonus time
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline Grimne_Lothos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
its not the salary that makes these jobs attractive to mates its the stability.  You aren't going to lose your job.  They won't go bankrupt  if they don't like you and want to fire you they literally give you like a years notice so that you can find another job.  They also do things like pay 100% of your children's university tuition.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
its not the salary that makes these jobs attractive to mates its the stability.  You aren't going to lose your job.  They won't go bankrupt  if they don't like you and want to fire you they literally give you like a years notice so that you can find another job.  They also do things like pay 100% of your children's university tuition.

Taking a long time to fire has more to do with government rules and regulations here than with Samsung's kind heartedness.  It takes a long time to fire workers so many Koreans are hired on contracts as temporary employees.  Some places in Europe are like that too, like France.  As for working there, once you're 45, you get social pressure put on you to get out.  Add in Seoul's over inflated apartment prices to take that extra money and it isn't worth it to me.  The bonuses are the only thing that is good. 

Like I said, though, most people put up with this because of those bonuses.  I've heard complaints from younger Koreans working for companies or schools as contract workers and some of the older managers being quite rude and arrogant, due to confucian thinking.  Many want to quit and some often do. 

As for working for Samsung, me thinks it attracts the gold diggers.  The older generation is more prominent at the digging than the younger generation.  It does seem to me that many younger Korean women have a more similiar love attraction thinking about marriage whereas the older ones (ajumma generation) has many who tend to be more calculating and filled with dollar signs in their eyes.  With those ones it doesn't matter how good looking of a guy you may be.  Any vets who were here 10 years ago, can prob attest to this. 

Anyways, I think many women will like the idea of their husband actually being at home in the evening.