October 15, 2018, 06:54:22 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Help! My sink smells!!  (Read 4641 times)

Offline f4inkorea

• Explorer
Help! My sink smells!!
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
I recently started getting a really bad smell from both my bathroom and kitchen  sinks.... Does anyone know the name of foam cleaner to pour down the sink and where to buy them?? My house reeks! :cry:

Offline Absenthius

• Veteran
Re: Help! My sink smells!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
Napalm. Only way to be sure.  :afro:

Offline weRborg

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
I've had a similar problem. Some of the buildings are just old and have poor sewage systems.

You can try some liquid plumber. Poor it down at night and wash it out in the morning. That will give you some relief for a day or two. Ultimately, there's no full solution.

I close the drain in the sink and run just a little big of water. That kind of helps. Also, don't forget the drain in your bathroom floor. I fold and old rag, lay it on top, then soak it wet. This helps odor from creeping up.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

Offline waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Could be from all the clogged up waste that for some reason did not get flushed down.

I occasionally open my bathroom drain to clear all the hair that congregates there as they trap dirt and soap scum, which starts to smell after a while.

I would recommend finding a way to get inside the pipes to confirm there aren't chunks of waste that are slowly rotting.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »
Maybe try cleaning it with bleach? It will obviously smell like bleach initially, but the bleach smell will only be temporary and will go away not too long afterward.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:46:34 AM by Mezoti97 »

Offline lalateacha

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Try baking soda and vinegar!! I use it in my kitchen drains and bathroom drains. Removes odors and unclogs:) And bonus points for being environmentally friendly :wink:

Offline EvilToast

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »
All of the above, get a plunger (for sinks not toilets) and try see if there are any blocks. It's probably just the awful plumbing. Don't you just love being woken up by that strong kimchi smell coming from your drain at 5am?

Offline 2twiceasnice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »

Offline 2twiceasnice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I used to have a problem with my washing machine drain in the balcony. If it's the same thing, no matter how much bleach you pour down there, it's still gonna stink. I even had men pump the sewage pipes outside but that didn't work either. I solved my problem by wrapping bleach ladened towels around the washing machine's waste tube at the point of the drain, totally covering it. I had to replace the cloth every few months after they disintegrated but it worked. No more stink. You can't do this if it's coming from the sink, but you can block the overflow pipe and use a plug for the sink.

It's sucky. Feel for you OP. Good luck.

Offline stevelee0000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »
My sink has been doing that too recently, wow.  Must be that time of year.  I tried pouring some alcohol down into it and there doesn't seem to be anymore smell.  Yet.

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
My kitchen sink smells too, sometimes. It's hard to chase down because it does seem like it's further down the plumbing than the baking soda and vinegar trick works for. The best solution so far has been to throw baking soda down every few days to absorb the smell, and keep the sink plugged when I'm not using it.

You can open the pipes. I've done that. It worked for a clog, and it did help with the pipes, a little, but since the main problem seems to be further along, it didn't do a lot. If you do try it, be prepared for it to get messy. Don't do this immediately after throwing bleach or vinegar/baking soda down the pipes, you don't want that residue flying at you.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
I don't know about the bathroom.... but most Korean sinks have a food trap in the kitchen sink.  You have to take off the cover and empty it every now and then, or it will continue to collect food particles that will start to rot and stink.

Offline mikeD

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
pour some soju down it. That should do the job. Cheapest sink cleaner in Korea! When my sink smells, I give one shot to the sink, one shot for me....and repeat 20 times and the smell will no longer bother you....at the same time...just give yourself 20 shots and it will not bother you. Soju is special like that.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
too many jokes can be made with this thread. too many
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline GreenMachine

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
I don't know about the bathroom.... but most Korean sinks have a food trap in the kitchen sink.  You have to take off the cover and empty it every now and then, or it will continue to collect food particles that will start to rot and stink.

You should clean the trap every time you use the sink otherwise it will mold and get disgusting. I have the same types of sinks in our house in the US. Every once in a while the sink in our house would stink, due to something getting caught in our drains. To get rid of it we would snake the drains for any clogs, and flush the drain with about 1-2 gal boiling water, wait 5-10 min then flush with the same amount of cold water, wait 5-10 min then repeat with the same amount of boiling water again. when that is all finished pour a bunch of baking soda down the drain (using a funnel will help) and follow that with 2-4 cups of hot vinegar (after microwaving the vinegar you can also clean out your microwave, it gets through grime so easily!) it will foam, so don't worry. Wait 30 min or so and then pour boiling water down the drain. I would avoid using chemical cleaners on older pipes because the newer pipes are made out of plastic instead of heavy metal.