February 22, 2019, 11:56:52 AM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97120 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
I find it curious why you don't just move back to the West if you think it's such a magical fairyland, where people with BA's frequently make 50K+ a year.

I plan on it, man. I don't want to stay in Korea forever. That I'm not leaving right now today, pulling a runner mid-contract doesn't make me a hypocrite. I posted some stats. You assume/insist they are not to be believed (based on your own singular experience). That's kooky. The reality is there are tons of Americans doing very well.

There are more millionaires in the United States than ever before.

The number of households with net worth of $1 million or more, excluding their homes, is at a record 9.63 million, according to a new report.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/13/business/la-fi-mo-number-of-millionaires-in-us-reaches-a-new-high-20140313

The number of households with $25 million or more also is at a new high of 132,000, surpassing 125,000 in 2007, according to Spectrem.

And the number of families with $100,000 or more continues to climb. Itís now at 38.6 million, up from 37.4 million last year and 31.2 million in 2008.

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »

I plan on it, man. I don't want to stay in Korea forever. That I'm not leaving right now today, pulling a runner mid-contract doesn't make me a hypocrite. I posted some stats. You assume/insist they are not to be believed (based on your own singular experience). That's kooky. The reality is there are tons of Americans doing very well.

There are more millionaires in the United States than ever before.

The number of households with net worth of $1 million or more, excluding their homes, is at a record 9.63 million, according to a new report.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/13/business/la-fi-mo-number-of-millionaires-in-us-reaches-a-new-high-20140313

The number of households with $25 million or more also is at a new high of 132,000, surpassing 125,000 in 2007, according to Spectrem.

And the number of families with $100,000 or more continues to climb. Itís now at 38.6 million, up from 37.4 million last year and 31.2 million in 2008.

Well, fair enough, but we are talking about different things. I'm talking about individuals with BA's in Canada, and you're talking about millionaires and the top ~10% in the U.S. with multiple incomes.

I don't think you're a hypocrite, never said that. But I don't believe things like a lowering unemployment rate or increase in the number of wealthy households alone is cause for celebration. That tells nothing of the type of jobs people are getting, and doesn't account for the majority.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:49 PM »
There are 117,538,000 households in the U.S. That 38.6 million of them (one third) now have $100,000 or more in assets beyond (not even including) their primary residency is great news.

In general, salaries in the U.S. are rising, which is cause for celebration.

A study released by Hay Group, a global management consulting firm, forecasts median base salary increases for U.S. employees across the board in 2015

http://www.statejournal.com/story/25975574/us-employees-can-expect-salary-raises-in-2015-oil-and-gas-sector-tops-the-totem-pole

The research found that the median base salary will increase at an average of 3 percent across most industries

Offline EL34

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »
Left a week ago. My cough is gone, my sinuses aren't irritated, and my lungs feel as if they are filled with every breathe. So, yeah, I won't be missing the pollution.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
That tells nothing of the type of jobs people are getting, and doesn't account for the majority.

Fewer Americans filed applications for unemployment insurance benefits over the past month than at any time in more than eight years, signaling employers are hanging on to workers as demand improves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-u-over-past-123001842.html

Wages and salaries rose 0.6 percent over the past three months

Good news overall.

Payroll Gains
The average monthly advance so far in 2014 has been about 231,000. If that pace is sustained, it would be the best year since 1999.

Offline LeapOver

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
Is air pollution still a problem in Korea?
How does it compare with Japan, China, Taiwan, and Vietnam?

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »
That tells nothing of the type of jobs people are getting, and doesn't account for the majority.

Fewer Americans filed applications for unemployment insurance benefits over the past month than at any time in more than eight years, signaling employers are hanging on to workers as demand improves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-u-over-past-123001842.html

Wages and salaries rose 0.6 percent over the past three months

Good news overall.

Payroll Gains
The average monthly advance so far in 2014 has been about 231,000. If that pace is sustained, it would be the best year since 1999.

Pls stick to the topic. 1/3
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline EL34

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2014, 08:06:52 AM »

Setting the bar pretty low, eh?

Offline LeapOver

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

What do you mean?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:14 AM »
What do you mean?
He means that all four of those countries are quite industrial and have relatively high amounts of air pollution compared to what most of us are used to.

Of course, each of the listed countries also have areas with very little pollution as well...

Actually, come to think of it, the worst air pollution I've ever come across is back home during forest fire season, when the sky is black with smoke for weeks at a time, and the sun, when you can see it at all, is just a sullen red blotch...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:31:07 AM by kyndo »

Offline LeapOver

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:44 AM »
Is the pollution mostly during the Spring (March-April) and not other times?

Offline hucks3

• Explorer
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
No doubt if you're in Seoul. Other part of Korea would be fine relatively.

Offline NikoLove

• Newgookin
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
The pollution never bothered me much, except for the yellow dust around spring time. Even then, it was maybe a little sinus problem for a day or so. People talk about how polluted Seoul is, and I don't disbelieve it, but it hasn't affected me personally.

Reading up on it, I see that it's bad, but not quite as bad as China or Japan.

I guess it being bad enough to make you leave depends on where you came from and if you're sensitive to it?

Offline pantsu

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
The air pollution in Korea is manageable with a mask.

Once you arrive in Beijing, you can feel the smog on your skin. The surrounding land outside of Beijing has evening "fog" which is entirely smog.
Now imagine this for Beijingers who face this 250/365 days a year. There's going to be a massive wave of cancers because of the pollution breathed in daily.

Offline coughsod

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
http://aqicn.org/city/korea/seoul/gangnam-gu/

it looks like we're getting PM2.5 readings now, no?

bit higher than i'd like on most days (today included), but yesterday and day before were very manageable. saturday was mid-20s, which was much better than the nyc average!

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
And the number of families with $100,000 or more continues to climb. Itís now at 38.6 million, up from 37.4 million last year and 31.2 million in 2008.[/color]
How long does $100,000 last if you have no income? Maybe 5-10 years in today's dollars, that is if you payed off your mortgage and healthy.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
Why would there be a drop from $100,000 to zero though?

In the United States unemployment benefits generally pay eligible workers between 40-50% of their previous pay.

People making that much money usually have skills and investments. (They have options.)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2015, 02:39:31 PM »
Reading up on it, I see that it's bad, but not quite as bad as China or Japan.

Not true. Overall, Japan > South Korea > China (though it varies throughout the year regarding which is worse, Korea or Japan).

Offline coughsod

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
lol, try to bring some good news and i revive a half-year-old flame war...  :afro:

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2015, 10:51:40 PM »
Given that the sky either takes on a whitish hue or the mountains and nearby tall buildings seem to be blocked or partially covered even when the sky directly above you is bluish in color, it is hard to see how things here aren't polluted, mixed in with humidity and fog in the air that always seems so prevelant in this part of the world.