March 25, 2019, 09:20:33 PM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 105296 times)

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #760 on: March 05, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
They're increasing oil and gas production to well into 2100.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #761 on: March 05, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
Here's an interesting article from a well-known Korean newspaper (Hankyoreh) that describes new finding that shift the majority of the blame for air pollution from international to local sources.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/828670.html?fbclid=IwAR0R9aUDalOpA7bXME5WgGRlEIzZ3v7O6YkbKcSLrzfoNqtkNhJvQ_xKi24

It's not the most detailed report, but it is interesting that a Korean newspaper known for being independent of government and large corporate funding is the one reporting on how local sources are more to blame for the horrible air than external sources.

Online leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #762 on: March 05, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
I'm curious if those 137 yes votes have left yet....

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #763 on: March 05, 2019, 12:25:40 PM »
Friday Iím getting on a plane.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #764 on: March 05, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
I will be in 330 days

Obviously your comment is of the "ho ho, if it's so bad why dont you leave" variety. But, things aren't always that simple. I know over the last 2 months I have heard more people say they were leaving or wanted to leave, than i had heard in the previous 6 years combined.

We were always planning to leave early 2020 and this year is a super important money making year for me. When i wake up on mornings like today's and see the air is so thick with shit that i can't see beyond out apartment complex I feel guilty and that I'm directly hurting my son's health. But if we were just to pack up and leave this week, our financial situation back home would be a step behind were it should be. Beyond breaking my contract and leaving however many tens of millions we have tied up in Jeonsae.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #765 on: March 05, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
Here's an interesting article from a well-known Korean newspaper (Hankyoreh) that describes new finding that shift the majority of the blame for air pollution from international to local sources.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/828670.html?fbclid=IwAR0R9aUDalOpA7bXME5WgGRlEIzZ3v7O6YkbKcSLrzfoNqtkNhJvQ_xKi24

It's not the most detailed report, but it is interesting that a Korean newspaper known for being independent of government and large corporate funding is the one reporting on how local sources are more to blame for the horrible air than external sources.

Itís nice to see that change -might- be coming. Iím still urked that we need Ďstudiesí to show what should be obvious. Again, the congestion in Seoul, the lack of traffic control, the reliance on coal, the shutting down of nuclear plants, the factories on the west coast, the subsidizing of electricity, itís not hard to see thereís a local problem.

Itís always weird to see this culture see things like Sewol or the whole incident with President Park and acknowledge the lack of oversight and correuption, say things like ďhell joseonĒ, but somehow that insight doesnít transfer to the envorinment? If a society isnít capable of ensuring the safety of boat veseels, what makes one so sure that envorinmental regulations are being made or adhered to? 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #766 on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
A lot of it is still China.  Some of it is local.  Korea went off nuclear and switched to coal over Fukushima scares.  It ought to get over that and get back to it. 

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #767 on: March 05, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
A lot of it is still China.  Some of it is local.  Korea went off nuclear and switched to coal over Fukushima scares.  It ought to get over that and get back to it.

The china point is moot. Korea is not China. Korea folded quickly over the THAAD incident with China. Korea is never going to diplomatically get China to Ďchangeí. Also, as the article mentioned, China is a seeing decreases in the highest polluted days unlike Korea.

Not to mention Korea still uses China for manufactoring and as a market. China is not a real tangible policy change for Korea.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #768 on: March 05, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
I think when pollutants from China come over, local companies open up more of the smoke stacks so as to hide their own polluting.

Good day to bury bad local pollutants, so to speak.

Offline Orkblut

• Veteran
« Reply #769 on: March 05, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

You've been in Korea too long and have swallowed the Dae Han Min Guk pill. Might be a good time for you to get out of the place.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #770 on: March 05, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »

The china point is moot. Korea is not China. Korea folded quickly over the THAAD incident with China. Korea is never going to diplomatically get China to Ďchangeí. Also, as the article mentioned, China is a seeing decreases in the highest polluted days unlike Korea.

Not to mention Korea still uses China for manufactoring and as a market. China is not a real tangible policy change for Korea.

I agree, blaming China is purely academic, South Korea is pretty wimpy when it comes to diplomacy and the CCP would turn their own country into an apocalyptic cesspool if it meant turning a profit, money is their God. China doesn't give a damn.

Over a period of 365 days, the vast majority of air pollution is domestic, this isn't to say that Korea pollutes significantly more than other countries, particularly when compared to China. China and Korea aren't even in the same league when it comes to global pollution.

Korea simply got a bad hand when it came to Geography:

- A high density urban population concentrated into very limited real-estate
- A country which doesn't have strong offshore winds
- Relatively developed populous with 1st world energy demands
- A piss poor way of fulfilling those energy demands

Where countries like Australia, the US and South Africa can get away with relying on coal power (large land mass and strong winds to dissipate the pollution) Korea simply can't.

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #771 on: March 05, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »

Korea got to develop rapidly into a 1st world country at the sake of working conditions and local pollution. China has brought a group of people to middle class in an unprecedented amount of time. If it werenít for climate concerns (a recent issue that has been brought to the table), the world might be marveling at it. Iím not sold on finger waving at China. Can you look at a group of people and say that they donít deserve a middle class lifestyle just because of time and circumstance?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #772 on: March 05, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
Can you look at a group of people and say that they donít deserve a middle class lifestyle just because of time and circumstance?
I get what you are saying, but it can't go on like this. It will, of course and the whole thing is just going to tip into the abyss, but saying "well they deserve it as much as anyone else does" while being true, doesn't take away from the fact that the world cannot handle another billion added to the middle class. With India coming up behind at the same time.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #773 on: March 05, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »
Can you look at a group of people and say that they donít deserve a middle class lifestyle just because of time and circumstance?
I get what you are saying, but it can't go on like this. It will, of course and the whole thing is just going to tip into the abyss, but saying "well they deserve it as much as anyone else does" while being true, doesn't take away from the fact that the world cannot handle another billion added to the middle class. With India coming up behind at the same time.

Iím not Ďsayingí anything, thatís just how it is. My overall point is that any comment about China coming from Korea is mostly whataboutism/boogie man type of arguments that wonít help the local situation. At best itís an immature argument to deflect, at worst youíre giving local polluters an excuse to keep polluting. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #774 on: March 05, 2019, 02:18:52 PM »
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #775 on: March 05, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
For indoor use? ;D

I don't think you can do much against pm2,5 pollution. It's so small it just penetrates your skin immediately.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #776 on: March 05, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
I actually bought this today :(

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=988652124
Wear it with a bit of sparkle and pizzazz and nobody will ever mock you for it!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:47:22 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #777 on: March 05, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

I'll just biomod into an Omar from Deus Ex: Invisible War

The joys of fauxtherhood

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #778 on: March 05, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »

I'll just biomod into an Omar from Deus Ex: Invisible War

Totally acceptable.

Although I gotta say, I prefer my own. Every time I go out for a run, I picture myself as a Mortal Kombat character.

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #779 on: March 05, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
Still no actual yellow dust predicted then just a little bit above Beijing.https://www.jma.go.jp/en/kosafcst/

Btw. thoroughly regretting my years in korea retrospectively. It was not just a mere 100 pm10 but clearly always red coloured pm2.5 all the time! I feel like having been lied to all those years ! :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:37:06 PM by SanderB »
-Fiat voluntas tua-