March 25, 2019, 07:31:26 PM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 105277 times)

Online Andyman

• Expert Waygook
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #720 on: March 02, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
One of the things that will always befuddle me about Korea is how when a new law is passed, there is no expectation that anyone will follow it and no expectation that it will be enforced.

Anyway, here's some good news: It's hard to quantify how much good it will do, but it's a step in the right direction, and probably much more effective than new driving restrictions that the government has no intention of enforcing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-coal/south-korea-plans-temporary-halt-at-four-older-coal-power-plants-to-curb-emissions-idUSKCN1QH080

I went to my local park yesterday and couldn't believe how many people were out walking in the gray haze without masks, including lots of children. The AQI was like 180 in the late afternoon. None of these parents would willingly give their kids a cigarette, yet seemed perfectly content to slowly poison them through the environmental equivalent.

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #721 on: March 02, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
The poll results, thus far, are quite close. 

Today is awful and I feel it...

As we are apparently having an early spring (and a relatively mid Korean winter), I'm not looking forward to the next 5 months. 

Is it bad enough to leave?  Perhaps. 

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #722 on: March 02, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
I've never seen that so high, it's usually around 10 or so and pm2,5 is the most dangerous one, no wonder you'd say  you feel it so strongly. Probably it has always been that way but they didn't measure it and we all went out clubbing or to the gym thinking it was merely yellow PM10 but all the while the pm2,5 was like this. dang....  :huh:

I hated that feeling of being trapped indoors. In hindsight, it is hard for me to say whether I regret going there or not. It was a lot of fun and I have made many friends for life, Americans, Canadians and Australians and even worked at MBC for a short stint, and to this day it helps me in my dealings with other foreigners here, but health wise I still feel the effects. If I were to give my younger self advice on whether to go or not, I would tell him to only stay for a year.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:46:36 PM by SanderB »
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #723 on: March 02, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/883249.html

Is this how it actually looks like outside for you? This is crazy. Reminds me of that the day the sun got blocked out by red dust and it actually turned dark during the day.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #724 on: March 02, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
Those pictures always look a little worse than the reality for most parts of the country, but the reality is still awful.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #725 on: March 02, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
we are apparently having an early spring (and a relatively mid Korean winter)

Smog produces warmer climate by trapping in solar radiation, so its not surprising that we're getting increasingly milder winters.
Catch my drift?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #726 on: March 02, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
Itís not the reason Iím leaving, but it is a contributing factor.

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #727 on: March 02, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
I've never seen that so high, it's usually around 10 or so and pm2,5 is the most dangerous one, no wonder you'd say  you feel it so strongly. Probably it has always been that way but they didn't measure it and we all went out clubbing or to the gym thinking it was merely yellow PM10 but all the while the pm2,5 was like this. dang....  :huh:

I hated that feeling of being trapped indoors. In hindsight, it is hard for me to say whether I regret going there or not. It was a lot of fun and I have made many friends for life, Americans, Canadians and Australians and even worked at MBC for a short stint, and to this day it helps me in my dealings with other foreigners here, but health wise I still feel the effects. If I were to give my younger self advice on whether to go or not, I would tell him to only stay for a year.

i donít know if theyíve updated the apps but korean apps typically donít report 2.5. Why? Who knows? But I remember fighting with an ex a few years back complaining about the pollution and the ex would argue that itís not bad (2.5 would be red but 10 would be green/yellow). It seems like unless something is reported by a korean authority then it doesnít exist.

Also the banning of diesel viehcles by issuing a $100 fine is laughable. As if anyone here would invest in new vehicles over a 100 fine that is not enfored.

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #728 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »

Smog produces warmer climate by trapping in solar radiation, so its not surprising that we're getting increasingly milder winters.

NO, the winters are not getting milder.  It was just a mild winter...last winter was brutal. 

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #729 on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
That's only logical, the melting icewater slows down the Gulfstream so winters are getting more extreme.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #730 on: March 02, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »

Here in Taiwan itís also bad at the moment if thatís any consolation.

I think it is important to remember that both Taiwan and South Korea are generally much cleaner than this.

Itís an aberration. Not the norm.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #731 on: March 02, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »

Here in Taiwan itís also bad at the moment if thatís any consolation.

I think it is important to remember that both Taiwan and South Korea are generally much cleaner than this.

Itís an aberration. Not the norm.
It really isn't an aberration anymore. The first 2 months of this year have been abysmal. Like someone said above, easily 2/3 days have been in the red with more and more time above 200. It is becoming normal. Its been bad since before Christmas and it's forecast for more of the same through March.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #732 on: March 02, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »
Reminds me of this 1990's ad. I remember thinking 'what a load of bs. never in my lifetime'. ;D Woe is me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktoRSgfSKY
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:30:40 PM by SanderB »
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2019, 01:02:54 AM »

NO, the winters are not getting milder.  It was just a mild winter...last winter was brutal.

Nonsense, you are clueless.

Last winter was not "brutal" at all and the Korean climate is indeed warming.

Industrialization and the increase in population have produced various pollutants and greenhouse gases, which are anthropogenic factors for climate change. South Korea is experiencing changes in climate parameters, including annual temperature, rainfall amounts, and precipitation.

The number of record minimum temperature days has decreased rapidly.

The CO2 concentrations at Anmyeon-do are substantially higher than the global average

The annual growth rate of CO2 for the 13-year period from 1999 through 2011 was 2.16 ppm/year, which was higher than the global average of 1.9 ppm/year

During the industrialization era (second industrial revolution) over the past few decades, people have been burning fossil fuels (coal, oil, gasoline, natural gas), which releases CO2 into the atmosphere, causing the greenhouse effect.[13] A sharp temperature contrast is shown between the urban and rural areas due to this industrialization. The mean temperatures data variations observed at ten meteorological stations in South Korea show an annual mean temperature increase at a rate of 0.52 įC per decade. During the last 29 years, the increase in the annual mean temperature was 1.5 įC for the Seoul station (found in an urban area) and 0.6 įC for the rural and seashore stations. These rate differences are significantly larger over urbanized areas.[2] South Korea is experiencing a rapid temperature increase,increase Daily maximum and minimum temperatures are very likely to increase in East Asia, resulting in more severe warm extremes, but less severe cold extremes.[10] These mean temperature increases, especially the temperature increase rate after the 1950s is 1.5 times higher than before the 1950s. The duration of winter is also projected to be a one-month shorter than before.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_South_Korea

That's only logical, the melting icewater slows down the Gulfstream so winters are getting more extreme.

Not at all. That means the weather cycles slow down is all. They get stuck, take longer to shift.

Have a look at the above scientific data then get back to us.
Catch my drift?

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #734 on: March 03, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
A collapse in the Amoc would mean far less heat reaching western Europe and plunge the region into very severe winters...But as the Amoc weakens, it might actually increase summer heatwaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/13/avoid-at-all-costs-gulf-streams-record-weakening-prompts-warnings-global-warming

But this has nothing to do with Korean pollution.
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #735 on: March 03, 2019, 07:44:20 AM »

LOL. Maybe Taiwan isn't that bad year-round. But South Korea is definitely bad all year round. There's literally like 10 days of blue skies every year. And you still get apologists either denying the smog or making excuses.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #736 on: March 03, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »
Record Fine Dust Reported in S. Korea's Inland Areas
http://world.kbs.co.kr/service/news_view.htm?lang=e&Seq_Code=143375

Yeah this weekend has been pretty bad. Red eyes, occasional cough, metallic taste.
Catch my drift?

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #737 on: March 03, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
yuk
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #739 on: March 03, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
A collapse in the Amoc would mean far less heat reaching western Europe and plunge the region into very severe winters...But as the Amoc weakens, it might actually increase summer heatwaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/13/avoid-at-all-costs-gulf-streams-record-weakening-prompts-warnings-global-warming

But this has nothing to do with Korean pollution.

Not to mention that Korea is not the same as Western Europe.

UK depends on ocean currents to maintain its temperate climate. Korea has a different dynamic.
Catch my drift?