February 22, 2019, 11:48:36 AM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97116 times)

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »
Fine dust level was almost 300 earlier this week. :(

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #661 on: November 29, 2018, 11:42:38 AM »
Yesterday I gave a quick lesson on how to wear a mask properly. My new co-teacher didn't even know about adjusting the nose band. The air here was terrible, but between classes she kept opening the windows to "clean the air in the classroom"?

I'm genuinely surprised there isn't more public outcry from Korean parents. They care so much about their children's well-being, but remain kind of silent on this issue. Haven't seen any protests at least.
It doesn't matter if they've adjusted the nose strap thingy or not. Surgical masks have exactly NO air pollution filtration capabilities. They're designed to prevent the spread of germs caused by sneezing etc, not keeping out particulates.

You need something with edges that seal to the face, and with a hepa filter if you want to breathe slightly cleaner air. Something a bit more like this:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:47:24 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #662 on: November 29, 2018, 11:50:17 AM »
It doesn't matter if they've adjusted the nose strap thingy or not. Surgical masks have exactly NO air pollution filtration capabilities. They're designed to prevent the spread of germs caused by sneezing etc, not keeping out particulates.

You need something with edges that seal to the face, and with a hepa filter if you want to breathe slightly cleaner air. Something a bit more like this:

Any gmarket/coupang links?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online AnnaW

• Adventurer
« Reply #663 on: November 29, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
We had an air quality warning here yesterday....A kid went out at lunch to play soccer. He ended up having to go to the hospital with an allergic reaction/asthma attack. So to answer the original question....Yes, I will be leaving.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #664 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

Any gmarket/coupang links?

Sure! I actually bought my pollution filter mask from g-market, although I've been told it might be a better idea to order from the manufacturers themselves, as they provide top notch customer support.

Anyway, I got the sports version, 'cause I needed it for running, but there are several other styles. Here's the gmarket link to what I purchased:
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=917673747

And if you want to look at the actual manufacturer's site:
http://respro.com/pollution-masks

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
I'm genuinely surprised there isn't more public outcry from Korean parents. They care so much about their children's well-being, but remain kind of silent on this issue. Haven't seen any protests at least.

Koreans will never do anything about it. They'll complain in private and on anonymous message boards but then bend over backwards for government and the chaebol ajusshi class who cause domestic pollution, and the chaebols bend over backwards for China. Korea became scared of nuclear after Fukushima (and many corruption-related nuclear near-disasters in South Korea) and is the only country in the world expanding use of coal power plants for electricity, something that has been praised by Western coal companies looking for a buyer.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #666 on: November 30, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »

Koreans will never do anything about it. They'll complain in private and on anonymous message boards but then bend over backwards for government and the chaebol ajusshi class who cause domestic pollution, and the chaebols bend over backwards for China. Korea became scared of nuclear after Fukushima (and many corruption-related nuclear near-disasters in South Korea) and is the only country in the world expanding use of coal power plants for electricity, something that has been praised by Western coal companies looking for a buyer.

Quite simply, the media and government shifts the blame to China at every possible opportunity.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #667 on: November 30, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
Quite simply, the media and government shifts the blame to China at every possible opportunity.

Some Korean woman at a function I was at was telling everyone that.........

:-* China is responsible for all of it.

:police: ALL of it?

:-* Yes, Korea doesn't produce any of it.

:police: What about your coal plants?

:-* We don't have any coal plants.

:police: *chokes* You believe that to be true.

:-* Yes, Korea doesn't burn dirty coal, we use LNG and other clean forms.

:police: One sec, *gets out phone* There are 16 operational coal plants............ AND, wait, 14 under construction with another 2 planned ones. So your country seems to only be HALFWAY finished building these things.

:-* Well, I..... uhhhhhh *BLUSSHHHHH*

:police: don't fuk with me, lady

When someone criticises Canada, I don't stick my head in the sand, I hear it out and value its merits.

I really hate blind nationalism, especially when this lady was wrong in the most EXTREME sense. Man, that felt good in front of everyone. 

The joys of fauxtherhood

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #668 on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
one of my adult students simply suggested building a big wall on the west coast to keep out the pollution, which made me chuckle

one of my pet hates is the word 'fine dust'. let's call it what it is: pollution

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #669 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »
After leaving Korea, I never think about the air quality It's always good to great.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #670 on: December 02, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
one of my adult students simply suggested building a big wall on the west coast to keep out the pollution, which made me chuckle

one of my pet hates is the word 'fine dust'. let's call it what it is: pollution
And make Mexico pay for it!  :evil: :laugh:

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #671 on: December 02, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »

And make Mexico pay for it!  :evil: :laugh:
"And make China pay for it!" would have been wittier, but maybe lost on some.

Online KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #672 on: December 02, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
Spent the last 3 days indoors with a fantastic air filtration system....the difference after a few days in clean air is very noticeable for my general health.

The air quality in Korea is just rancid & criminal.  Sadly, nothing will be done with it until it becomes more expensive to bury & replace people than it is to maintain cleaner air standards.

For me....65 days to go until I leave this entire mess for good...

I can hardly wait.

:)

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #673 on: December 03, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »

Some Korean woman at a function I was at was telling everyone that.........

:-* China is responsible for all of it.

:police: ALL of it?

:-* Yes, Korea doesn't produce any of it.

:police: What about your coal plants?

:-* We don't have any coal plants.

:police: *chokes* You believe that to be true.

:-* Yes, Korea doesn't burn dirty coal, we use LNG and other clean forms.

:police: One sec, *gets out phone* There are 16 operational coal plants............ AND, wait, 14 under construction with another 2 planned ones. So your country seems to only be HALFWAY finished building these things.

:-* Well, I..... uhhhhhh *BLUSSHHHHH*

:police: don't fuk with me, lady

When someone criticises Canada, I don't stick my head in the sand, I hear it out and value its merits.

I really hate blind nationalism, especially when this lady was wrong in the most EXTREME sense. Man, that felt good in front of everyone.

Yes. There is quite a bit of this blind nationalism in South Korea.  It surprised me when I first encountered it.

I think I did read recently that the South Korean government plans to put a big tariff (30%) on coal imports.   Not sure what happened to that.

I now live in a city in my home country.  Clean, blue skies nearly every day (except during the rainy Winter).  Thankful to be out.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #674 on: December 03, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
My CT and I were discussing air pollution and I showed her this video (It's by Asian Boss and talks about the findings that the majority of Korea's air pollution is domestically produced, the video is in Korean, with English subs)

No surprise, my CT was shocked, but had here suspicions that the majority was domestically produced, despite the media reporting otherwise. She asked that I play the video to our 6th grade students.
I was a bit reluctant to play it to them. While I'm pretty vocal with my opinions about Korea's problems online, or when talking to trusted friends, but I prefer not to come off as the know it all foreigner when at work.

We played the video and it felt great to lift the veil on all the BS. Watch the whole video to find out exactly why most Koreans believe it's solely China's fault, it's not all got to do with blind nationalism.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #675 on: December 03, 2018, 01:01:15 PM »
The majority of the bad days are indeed due to China. People need to stop quoting that flawed NASA study.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #676 on: December 03, 2018, 01:18:45 PM »
The majority of the bad days are indeed due to China. People need to stop quoting that flawed NASA study.
I'm not sure that I read that the study was flawed?
Can you link us something about it?

All I remember about the article is that, yes, a fair portion of pollutants come from China, but a fair bit of it is also generated locally.

Considering that Korea is one of the most urbanized countries, has a solid manufacturing sector, has over 21 million cars, and generates about 40% of it's electricity using coal, that isn't terribly surprising.  :undecided:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #677 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »
I'm not sure that I read that the study was flawed?
Can you link us something about it?

All I remember about the article is that, yes, a fair portion of pollutants come from China, but a fair bit of it is also generated locally.

Considering that Korea is one of the most urbanized countries, has a solid manufacturing sector, has over 21 million cars, and generates about 40% of it's electricity using coal, that isn't terribly surprising.  :undecided:

Yeah, I don't expect Koreans not to finger China for it, it's when they pin ALL the blame on China, like they have this flawless record or something.

If I'm pretty tipsy from drinking my own drink, I don't blame a friend for buying me a double jack and sending me over the edge. We're all responsible for my street pizza.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #678 on: December 03, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't expect Koreans not to finger China for it, it's when they pin ALL the blame on China, like they have this flawless record or something.

If I'm pretty tipsy from drinking my own drink, I don't blame a friend for buying me a double jack and sending me over the edge. We're all responsible for my street pizza.

Please, you're in Korea. They're called kimchi blossoms. :wink:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
China may send the air into the red, but it's because of Korea that it's in the yellow to begin with...