February 22, 2019, 12:24:05 PM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97131 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #540 on: May 05, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
You're not saving the earth by driving the jobs out of North America.

American unemployment is 3.9%. Wages are increasing faster than the rate of inflation and have been for a long, long time.

Globalization made the world richer, lifting billions out of poverty. But with that increased wealth came increased consumption (in the form of increased car ownership, increased electricity use, etc.)

America and other developed countries should serve as an example to the rest of the world of how is possible to be both economically prosperous and have clean air.

How to achieve this?

Make electricity from clean sources: sun, wind, and water. Not coal. (Did you know 25% of the worlds electricity is made from renewable resources? In Korea it's 1-2%.)

Have fuel efficiency standards to keep vehicles from polluting too much. Diesel, while cheaper, pollutes the air.

Put high grade filters on factory smokestacks.

Bottom line is don't cut corners to maximize profit. There should be a disincentive to do so. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Americas, principally the US and Canada, was the only region where a sizeable majority of people 80% breathe air that meets WHO guidelines on particulates. In Asia and the Middle East, the figure was close to zero.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/01/air-pollution-inequality-widens-between-rich-and-poor-nations

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #541 on: May 06, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »
Ideology feeds pocketbooks.

Think twice about your ideas in practice.

There are negative consequences to seemingly noble ideas.

You don't have to be pushing 50 years old to see that, do you?

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #542 on: May 06, 2018, 12:16:09 PM »
I dont get it. If there are negative consequences just tell us because Im not making any inferences about what they may be.

Its a big one time investment to buy something like a solar panel but, in the long term, both economical and environmentally friendly.

If I was settled and not bouncing around tefling in Asia Id probably buy one and put it on the roof of my house.

As I said earlier though the biggest contribution we make to the environment is remaining childless which many of us Peter Pan teflers are accomplishing.

Poor Africans are, unfortunately, reproducing like rabbits.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #543 on: May 07, 2018, 05:57:59 AM »
As I said earlier though the biggest contribution we make to the environment is remaining childless which many of us Peter Pan teflers are accomplishing.

:laugh: I'll be sure to remember that phrase.

Its not only Peter Pan teflers though. Koreans are also getting the idea that having kids is a huge limit on your life.

Although they're still determined to have at least one. Afaik if you're going to have one you may as well have ten, the effect on your life is the same.
Catch my drift?

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #544 on: May 07, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
It's not my phrase. It's lifted directly from this videoblogger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tFyWElbhsE

but it may have some truth in it.  I don't know.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #545 on: May 07, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »

Poor Africans are, unfortunately, reproducing like rabbits.

Yes, people who don't give a crap about the environment or Western style democracy are still having lots of kids.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #546 on: May 07, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »
A friend who lives in Seoul who does a lot of cycling had to go to hospital while back home in Germany. The doctor told him he needed to stop smoking. Friend hasn't smoked since middle school and figures it was the air in Seoul that made his lungs look so bad.

O to speed where there is space enough and air enough at last!

~ Walt Whitman

donovan

« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
Sad that even a heavy rain can't get the AQI down below 30.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Experts say the removal of subsidies for electricity can lead to more renewable energy.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/06/328_138344.html

"Nuclear plants, which generate a massive amount of electricity at relatively low costs, have been shut down."

Therein lies the problem.  I knew some were shut down in 2012 and 2013 for repairs due to some falsification.  I am surprised a few years later, they still haven't fixed them.  As for renewable, which everyone is talking about, I suspect the efficiencies are still quite a ways off the power a grid.  Maybe in the next 15 or 20 years, it could be possible.  Right now, it's too inefficient and too expensive.  Nuclear or natural gas for the next 20 some years will get you cleaner air locally; as well as phasing some of the older diesels off the road.  Oil and coal will be your most polluting. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
Oh, nevermind.  It was an old article.  That was sneaky OP.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
You're not saving the earth by driving the jobs out of North America.

American unemployment is 3.9%. Wages are increasing faster than the rate of inflation and have been for a long, long time.

Globalization made the world richer, lifting billions out of poverty. But with that increased wealth came increased consumption (in the form of increased car ownership, increased electricity use, etc.)

America and other developed countries should serve as an example to the rest of the world of how is possible to be both economically prosperous and have clean air.

How to achieve this?

Make electricity from clean sources: sun, wind, and water. Not coal. (Did you know 25% of the worlds electricity is made from renewable resources? In Korea it's 1-2%.)

Have fuel efficiency standards to keep vehicles from polluting too much. Diesel, while cheaper, pollutes the air.

Put high grade filters on factory smokestacks.

Bottom line is don't cut corners to maximize profit. There should be a disincentive to do so. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Americas, principally the US and Canada, was the only region where a sizeable majority of people 80% breathe air that meets WHO guidelines on particulates. In Asia and the Middle East, the figure was close to zero.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/01/air-pollution-inequality-widens-between-rich-and-poor-nations

Yes, just now, the US economy has gotten better.  Though pockets of unemployment remain.  It is much better now, but the recovery took too long and was too sluggish.  Still wages need to rise and more middle class jobs away from the coasts need to present themself. 

As for the disincentive, tell that to China, India, and many other places using cheap labor and low environmental standards.  The Paris accord did nothing to stop the real polluters until 2030.  Even then, do you think they would have abided?  Western countries lately are already pretty clean.  So, signing it was a joke. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #551 on: May 17, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
A friend who lives in Seoul who does a lot of cycling had to go to hospital while back home in Germany. The doctor told him he needed to stop smoking. Friend hasn't smoked since middle school and figures it was the air in Seoul that made his lungs look so bad.

O to speed where there is space enough and air enough at last!

~ Walt Whitman

Yeah, I have cut back on biking the past couple of years and my waste size has noticed.  This long weekend might be nice though out in the provinces anyhow.  Get a bigger apartment to live in and have an exercise room.  Ha ha.  I think that will be my strategy.  Air exchanger and air cleaner machine.   

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #552 on: May 17, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
I have cut back on biking the past couple of years and my waste size has noticed.

By driving rather than biking you're putting more pollutants into the atmosphere. Your waste size is increasing.  :cry:

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
I have cut back on biking the past couple of years and my waste size has noticed.

By driving rather than biking you're putting more pollutants into the atmosphere. Your waste size is increasing.  :cry:

Well then, clean up the air and I'll bike again.

donovan

« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »

Well then, clean up the air and I'll bike again.

There are often no immediate health effects of pollution and once health complications arise, impossible to pinpoint their source, but go out less or avoid exercise entirely (or pay hundreds of dollars per month for a gym membership to do exercise you'd rather be doing outside) and it's much easier to see the how pollution is directly affecting your life. :sad:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:56:07 AM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2018, 11:53:01 AM »
 I run every morning, and this last spring I bought a decent mask with a hepa filter and high flow valves meant specifically to running. It took a bit of getting used to, but I no longer feel like I'm getting cancer every time I run. Also, no more inhaling bugs! Woot!

The brand was respro, and costed about 60k. Would highly recommend if you're looking for a decent mask.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
I run every morning, and this last spring I bought a decent mask with a hepa filter and high flow valves meant specifically to running. It took a bit of getting used to, but I no longer feel like I'm getting cancer every time I run. Also, no more inhaling bugs! Woot!

The brand was respro, and costed about 60k. Would highly recommend if you're looking for a decent mask.

Can you get it to seal?  It seems mine leaks air when I breath as my shades got fogged up.  Was hard to close tightly.  So, I guess I kind of gave up on it.  Maybe, I'll take another crack at it.

donovan

« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »

I sweat like a gammon though. Wonder if it wouldn't feel too uncomfortable sopping wet...

(Not sure if your typo is meant as a direct comment on my ungrammatical sentence structure, but either way, fixed.)

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:36 PM »

Can you get it to seal?  It seems mine leaks air when I breath as my shades got fogged up.  Was hard to close tightly.  So, I guess I kind of gave up on it.  Maybe, I'll take another crack at it.

Yeah, mine seals pretty well: enough that my sunglasses don't fog up.
2 things that might help:

- try resizing the mask: the company is pretty good about exchanges if you bought directly from their site, and gives a lot advice on how to measure your noggin for a proper fit.

- get cycling shades. Some of those are designed specifically to reduce fogging.

...Not that I've done either: I haven't ever owned a pair of shades worth more than 20k, and I was lucky in the mask fit me well: with only a bit of adjustment of the nose bridge thingy I was able to get a fair seal.

I sweat like a gammon though. Wonder if it wouldn't feel too uncomfortable sopping wet...

(Not sure if your typo is meant as a direct comment on my ungrammatical sentence structure, but either way, fixed.)
I, uh, totally noticed your ungrammatical sentence structure and equally totally messed up my own to match. Because I'm witty and observant like that, and not at all prone to typos.

And yeah, the mask does retain a lot of moisture. Sweat isn't too much of an issue for me, but after a while it causes my nose to run and, well... let's just say that me taking off my mask is not a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:49:59 PM by kyndo »

donovan

« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
I, uh, totally noticed your ungrammatical sentence structure and equally totally messed up my own to match. Because I'm witty and observant like that, and not at all prone to typos.

Sorry, I didnt have my morning coffee today, making me prone to paranoid thoughts and vulnerable to far-fetched conspiracy theories (not to mention delusions of being followed by turtles).

And yeah, the mask does retain a lot of moisture. Sweat isn't too much of an issue for me, but after a while it causes my nose to run and, well... let's just say that me taking off my mask is not a pretty sight.

My face is quite sensitive. Im not sure it could handle the moisture without breaking out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:41:06 AM by donovan »