February 22, 2019, 12:32:24 PM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97133 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #520 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
by that logic, never use and fan or the air con in summer, and don't turn on the heat in summer.

I don't want to live in a world where I can't crank the heat in summer.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #521 on: May 02, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Yeah, I'd say it's pretty bad. I come from the land of clean air and smiles. Here, all I see is sh*tfaced facial expressions when the air quality is horrid and thick. I'm better off moving to the realm of Aries. Lest, I dare face exilment in the face of Odin.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #522 on: May 02, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »

The latest thing of course is the indoor air cleaners, they seem quite satisfied with coming up with these, ok fine, but do you think these things run on fresh air?  It's just another thing to plug in, requires more energy, more power stations, more pollution etc etc the cycle continues. 

I was chatting to a friend (non-Korean) about the air pollution in Korea recently.   He said "Oh, I've got one of those air purifiers.  They're great.  I run it all the time".

I'm not sure whether it had occurred to him that it was an electrical appliance that was probably further contributing to the air pollution problem.

the amount of electricity those air purifiers use is absolutely miniscule. it's just a fan, really. i used to run mine 24/7 in korea and my electricity bill went up by a whopping 1-2,000 Won per month.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #523 on: May 03, 2018, 04:18:33 AM »
Anyone who uses the term "fine dust" is part of the problem.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #524 on: May 03, 2018, 07:30:25 AM »

The latest thing of course is the indoor air cleaners, they seem quite satisfied with coming up with these, ok fine, but do you think these things run on fresh air?  It's just another thing to plug in, requires more energy, more power stations, more pollution etc etc the cycle continues. 

I was chatting to a friend (non-Korean) about the air pollution in Korea recently.   He said "Oh, I've got one of those air purifiers.  They're great.  I run it all the time".

I'm not sure whether it had occurred to him that it was an electrical appliance that was probably further contributing to the air pollution problem.

the amount of electricity those air purifiers use is absolutely miniscule. it's just a fan, really. i used to run mine 24/7 in korea and my electricity bill went up by a whopping 1-2,000 Won per month.
my air purifier says it costs 12000won a year, if left on all of the time

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #525 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
Experts say the removal of subsidies for electricity can lead to more renewable energy.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/06/328_138344.html

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #526 on: May 03, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »
i wish some conspiracy about the us army purposely making their manufacturing unregulated would appear and maybe there would be some nation wide protests for greener practices

Offline jimskins

• Adventurer
« Reply #527 on: May 03, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

my air purifier says it costs 12000won a year, if left on all of the time

I think you're both missing the point; also electricity is too cheap in Korea, so I'm guessing 1000-2000W is probably increasing your bill/energy usage by 10-15%, which is a lot more damaging to the environment than the tiny dent in your wallet implies.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #528 on: May 03, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Correct.

"The majority of South Korea’s subsidies have been used for supporting coal production, and the largest subsidy went to the production of coal briquettes. This is related to South Korea’s energy market structure. In South Korea, major energy industries are still publicly owned. For example, Korea National Oil Corporation (KNOC) is responsible for exploration, development and production of oil and natural gas within and outside of the country as well as strategic reserves. Likewise, the coal industry is also largely dependent on state ownership."

https://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk/files/odi-assets/publications-opinion-files/9984.pdf

"South Korea has the highest level of support for overseas coal power plant projects through export credit agencies among OECD countries."

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
"Korea’s electricity supply mix is dominated by fossil fuels. In 2013, electricity generation by source in Korea was 39% coal, 25% natural gas, 6% oil and 27% nuclear."

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
1. clearly the govt isn't going to fix this problem any time soon, and i'd rather not breath in more bad air than i have to

2. the electricity usage for air purifiers isn't going to make the smallest dent in the environmental pollution in korea

3. i'm not sure what your point is

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
I think his point is that air purifiers normalize the governments terrible response to the air crisis as being fine and acceptable because the citizenry can just mitigate it with technology.

When really, Koreans should be treating the whole lot of them to the PGH treatment for this environmental disaster of epic proportions.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »
well of course, but by not buying one, i'm hardly protesting the govt's refusal to deal with the problem

still not sure why the general public doesn't get more irate about the level of pollution here

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
well of course, but by not buying one, i'm hardly protesting the govt's refusal to deal with the problem

still not sure why the general public doesn't get more irate about the level of pollution here

Because they only ever hear about PM 10 levels in the media, and get practically brainwashed by every single media outlet into believing that the choking smog that blankets half the country every single day is entirely the fault of China/Yellow dust.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
I think his point is that air purifiers normalize the governments terrible response to the air crisis as being fine and acceptable because the citizenry can just mitigate it with technology.

When really, Koreans should be treating the whole lot of them to the PGH treatment for this environmental disaster of epic proportions.

never going to happen anytime soon. pgh gained traction because it became this inexplicable conspiracy embarrassment. the banal societal reality that led to the sewol disaster is a much more real issue that happens everyday and everyone is responsible (lax safety rules etc). dealing with the pollution would mean coming to terms with polluting their own sacred ground.

look at how much traction the supposed usa military contamination of military bases get. there are protests in itaewan all the time. there’s even a movie about it tangentially (the host). koreans are blameless in their grand meta narrative

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing today. I have an app that shows the level and it is over 200 today, that is a very unhealthy level.

I would like to say a very special **** YOU to China, stop polluting the rest of Asia.

I've lived and worked in China and Korea and Korea's air can't hold a candle to the sewage that China considers breathable oxygen.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing today. I have an app that shows the level and it is over 200 today, that is a very unhealthy level.

I would like to say a very special **** YOU to China, stop polluting the rest of Asia.

I've lived and worked in China and Korea and Korea's air can't hold a candle to the sewage that China considers breathable oxygen.

At last someone with a bit of perspective. Looks like this guy emerged from Linfen or somewhere.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #537 on: May 04, 2018, 07:29:54 AM »

At last someone with a bit of perspective. Looks like this guy emerged from Linfen or somewhere.

china also supplies the world with everything so....

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #538 on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

china also supplies the world with everything so....

That's because the global warming idiots drove the jobs out of North America, where the companies could then go pollute freely.  They passed impossible regulations rather than work with the companies in question through benchmarking to reduce pollution.  So now the earth gets hit hard from Asia with pollution.  The Paris Climate Accord says China doesn't even have to reduce pollution until 2030.  You're not saving the earth by driving the jobs out of North America. 

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #539 on: May 04, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
That's because the global warming idiots drove the jobs out of North America, where the companies could then go pollute freely.  They passed impossible regulations rather than work with the companies in question through benchmarking to reduce pollution.  So now the earth gets hit hard from Asia with pollution.  The Paris Climate Accord says China doesn't even have to reduce pollution until 2030.  You're not saving the earth by driving the jobs out of North America.
     While none of this is technically untrue, it *is* reductio ad absurdum.
     Saying that jobs have shifted to China because of overly stringent environmental policies ignores all the other reasons, many of which are far more influential than said regs (ie: low wages, no ridiculously expensive pension and medical, far higher productivity and economies of scale, less automation).

And anyway, whether or not moving jobs out of NA will save the Earth is debatable, but it certainly will make NA a heck of a lot nicer. Be honest: would you rather have massive environmental dead zones in North America or China?