February 22, 2019, 11:58:20 AM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97121 times)

Offline Littobubbo

• Waygookin
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
It was bad enough this weekend to help me determine my decision. I'll be leaving this year.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »
Even down on the southern coast.  F@k yourself China.  Bunch of a holes.  Thanks for ruining our holidays so we couldnt go outside much.  Bunch of pricks!!!

Excuse me. A post like this is out of order.

The Chinese experience 10 times the level of pollution that Korea does. You think they don't mind? If you saw the documentary "under the dome" you would know that it is increasingly an issue there and improvements are being made.

Besides the pm 10 from the gobi desert is a natural phenomenon more than anything else.

Also what proof do you have the pollution is not domestically produced?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
Even down on the southern coast.  F@k yourself China.  Bunch of a holes.  Thanks for ruining our holidays so we couldnt go outside much.  Bunch of pricks!!!

The Chinese experience 10 times the level of pollution that Korea does. You think they don't mind? If you saw the documentary "under the dome" you would know that it is increasingly an issue there and improvements are being made.

Besides the pm 10 from the gobi desert is a natural phenomenon more than anything else.

The Gobi wasn't always desert; the Chinese deforested it. Nothing natural about that.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
The Gobi wasn't always desert; the Chinese deforested it. Nothing natural about that.
The Gobi Dessert is in the rain shadow of the Himalayas, meaning it gets very little rain: about half the amount that the deserts in Nevada do, for example.
It also has some of the greatest temperature extremes on the planet with winter lows of -40, and summer highs of over 50 (Celsius).

These two facts more or less guarantee that the Gobi desert has been a desert for almost as long as the Himalayan mountains have existed (except when it's an inland sea, presumably during the tag end of ice-ages).

Of course, the Gobi desert is expanding rapidly, and this desertification *is* due in part to human influences, so I suppose this is what you meant.  :smiley:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
The Gobi Dessert is in the rain shadow of the Himalayas, meaning it gets very little rain: about half the amount that the deserts in Nevada do, for example.
It also has some of the greatest temperature extremes on the planet with winter lows of -40, and summer highs of over 50 (Celsius).

These two facts more or less guarantee that the Gobi desert has been a desert for almost as long as the Himalayan mountains have existed (except when it's an inland sea, presumably during the tag end of ice-ages).

Of course, the Gobi desert is expanding rapidly, and this desertification *is* due in part to human influences, so I suppose this is what you meant.  :smiley:

Science!
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
Really  bad this weekend ~160 on the index.  Usually I don't notice when people say the pollution is bad but it was hard to be outside yesterday without a mask.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
Getting there. I'm in one of the supposedly cleanest parts of the country and the AQI hit 176 over the weekend. I've never seen it above 100 out here before. It was like a post-apocalyptic wasteland out there. Yellow skies, dust on everything, rusted, spiky sedan driven by half naked guys prowling the neighborhood.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
With mountain fires added to the mix, the air quality was 400-500 in Gangreung this past weekend. Feels like I smoked 20 packs a day  :-[
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »
It wasn't that bad - OK, my bike outside turned yellow over the weekend, but it's not the first time this happened. 

Having said that, the fact that I see that as being normal tells me I've been here way too long.

Then again, two years ago, I was a bit freaked out when, after a bit of rain, I saw all of the water puddles turn bright purple/yellow all over the city.  So, you could say that Korea keeps surprising me further. 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »

Improvements?  Cosmetic window dressing to shut the masses up.  It's still as polluted as ever.  On the worst days, 60 to 80 per cent of the bad air quality here comes from China.  On the best days, only 30 to 50 per cent of it is from China.  This means on good days, the ratings are in the yellow.  A small portion of that is China.  On the bad days, it's in the orange, red, or even purple on rare occasions.  China puts it over the top. 

Check the forecast map, though it works on my smartphone.  Doesn't seem to work so well on this desktop computer.  You'll see the red originate in China and then depending on the wind directions, temperatures, etc, it get's pushed over to Korea.  On some of the worst days, the winds were in a westerly direct or some type like NW  WSW or something similar.

http://aqicn.org/forecast/daejeon/

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Screw it the forecast map doesn't work on the computer.  Check it on your phone if you have the app. 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
This site, lists Seoul as quite high.  https://airvisual.com/south-korea/gyeonggi/gwangmyeong-si/soha-1-il-1

Gwangmyeong 264 pm 2.5 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
Geeze, same site, later on.  Even Japan is infected with a lot of reds and bad air quality.  You see the trend here where it all started.  China never polluted their neighbors like this in the past at this time of year.  I have pics from previous years in early May where the skies were blue and clear.  You could see the mountains; not this year.   

http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea/#@g/35.5188/127.4304/6z

Offline fas6pa

• Adventurer
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
Ha! you suckers complaining about pollution. I've built up tolerance to your silly little dust by smoking

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
This message was sent to the teachers this afternoon:

compliments of google translate:

Hi Sir...

May 8, 2017 We will inform you that it has been issued as a "dust warning", please do not let teachers outdoors.

:)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »
I've built up tolerance to your silly little dust by smoking

Anyone who smokes while living in China or Korea is a damn fool. Your lungs and liver are taking a beating as it is. Incidentally, anyone who smokes anywhere is a damn fool.

Smoking rates by education in the United States:

•About 34 of every 100 adults with a GED certificate (34.1%)
•Nearly 20 of every 100 adults with a high school diploma (19.8%)
•More than 18 of every 100 adults with some college (no degree) (18.5%)
•More than 16 of every 100 adults with an associate's degree (16.6%)
•More than 7 of every 100 adults with an undergraduate college degree (7.4%)
•More than 3 of every 100 adults with a graduate degree (3.6%)

Offline fas6pa

• Adventurer
« Reply #277 on: May 08, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
I've built up tolerance to your silly little dust by smoking

Anyone who smokes while living in China or Korea is a damn fool. Your lungs and liver are taking a beating as it is. Incidentally, anyone who smokes anywhere is a damn fool.

Smoking rates by education in the United States:

•About 34 of every 100 adults with a GED certificate (34.1%)
•Nearly 20 of every 100 adults with a high school diploma (19.8%)
•More than 18 of every 100 adults with some college (no degree) (18.5%)
•More than 16 of every 100 adults with an associate's degree (16.6%)
•More than 7 of every 100 adults with an undergraduate college degree (7.4%)
•More than 3 of every 100 adults with a graduate degree (3.6%)

That's because years of brain-washing liberal education have led people to be robots and not think for themselves.

donovan

« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Anyone who smokes while living in China or Korea is a damn fool.

Does that include Koreans? Specifically, the guy who smokes outside my kitchen window in the wee hours of the night?

That's because years of brain-washing liberal education have led people to be robots and not think for themselves.

You're right. Smoking robots is almost always merely a mechanical issue. Most AI scientists agree that robots who choose to smoke by their own volition is still at least 20 years away.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
Anyone who smokes while living in China or Korea is a damn fool.

Does that include Koreans? Specifically, the guy who smokes outside my kitchen window in the wee hours of the night?

Yes. And way too many smokers in South Korea and China. I read 36% of Korean males smoke. In China, 68%. In America, 16%. American air is cleaner partly because less secondhand smoke.