February 22, 2019, 12:34:28 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97135 times)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
Re: Pollution blues
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »
Air is quite poor here.

What I do is strap a hepa filter to a fan. DIY air filter, as effective as an expensive air filter.

h/t to the poster who suggested it.

Can I get link to a cheap filter on Gmarket or the like? I'm struggling to find one under $100! Or could I pick one up at my local hardware store??

I doubt you'll find a quality one for that.  Maybe between 200 to 300 bucks, I'm guessing. 

The last year has had the worst I've seen.  So, I bought this in the spring at High Mart.

http://gsearch.gmarket.co.kr/Listview/Search?keyword=aes330

Clears the air.  I use to leave my windows open a crack in the day while out at work.  But too much dust in here.  So, I often keep the windows closed and run this.  Doesn't really drive up the electric bill from what I've noticed.  Has a regular setting and a sleep setting. 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »
This was a week or so ago during the brief autumn we had.  Clear non whitish hazy skies were nice while they lasted. 

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
Air is quite poor here.

What I do is strap a hepa filter to a fan. DIY air filter, as effective as an expensive air filter.

Can I get link to a cheap filter on Gmarket or the like? I'm struggling to find one under $100! Or could I pick one up at my local hardware store??

There are some from, I think called au claire (sp?), for about 22$. Not sure if it's still available. Make sure HEPA is in your search.

Added: I'm going to buy a 2.5pm reader to measure the effectiveness.

Don't fall for the trap of price = effectiveness.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:26:47 PM by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »
Air is quite poor here.

There are some from, I think called au claire (sp?), for about 22$. Not sure if it's still available. Make sure HEPA is in your search.

Added: I'm going to buy a 2.5pm reader to measure the effectiveness.

Don't fall for the trap of price = effectiveness.

Would you (or anyone) know a store that would sell just the filter? I've been to HiMart and E Mart Traders, both of which sell the devices, but say I have to go to the A/S center to find individual filters. Or - as I feel I can trust your advice, Grey, is the au claire (sp?) filter the one you use yourself?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
All of my filters were purchased from the site that sells the fans. The filters themselves are inexpensive, but the shipping makes it much less so.

I have been looking at a domestic source, but not yet tried.

Here is one possible seller:
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=192125461
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »
A filter on a fan?  I seriously doubt that's going to clean the air in your apartment. 

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2016, 01:37:57 AM »
A filter on a fan?  I seriously doubt that's going to clean the air in your apartment.

Okay.
-AP

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Consider yourself lucky you don't live in China. Sometimes the smog was so thick the apartments a few blocks away were submerged in a cloud of toxic waste, as you passed a mother allowing her toddlet to dump a turd on the sidewalk, five metres from a shop selling open air meat covered in flies,
 as an idiot on an e-bike comes dangerously close to flattening you.

"Comparing anywhere to China is pointless. China is a polluted hell hole.
Seoul is currently around 150, which is pretty common. Maybe compared to shitsville across the Yellow Sea that's not so bad, but compaed to most cities of similar sizes it's horrendous."

This.  :P Well-said,  Zola!

donovan

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
All of my filters were purchased from the site that sells the fans. The filters themselves are inexpensive, but the shipping makes it much less so.

I have been looking at a domestic source, but not yet tried.

Here is one possible seller:
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=192125461

Thanks^^

I'd be curious about the reading you get on your particulate matter measuring device, as well~
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:27:46 PM by donovan »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
Those "Claire" filters are garbage (you get what you pay for).

Sure, they are less than half the price of the OEM filters, but they are very poor quality.

The HEPA section is "OK", but the charcoal filter section has a cardboard frame, making it impossible to clean.

We run our machines 24/7, clean the filters regularly, and replace them once a year, minimum.

Only the OEM filters allow for cleaning and higher-rated micron/dust removal.

donovan

« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »

Sure, they are less than half the price of the OEM filters, but they are very poor quality.

The HEPA section is "OK", but the charcoal filter section has a cardboard frame, making it impossible to clean.

We run our machines 24/7, clean the filters regularly, and replace them once a year, minimum.

You can wash a HEPA filter without destroying it's effectiveness at catching fine particulate matter??

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

You can wash a HEPA filter without destroying it's effectiveness at catching fine particulate matter??

Without a proper measuring device you cannot determine the effectiveness of a filter.

I will be receiving one in a month or so. The filter I have at the moment has a cardboard frame. I have no idea how maintenance on a filter works.
-AP

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »

No, oh no.  Sorry, I didn't explain myself well.

There are 4 parts/separate section to the OEM filters.

You can't/shouldn't ever wash the HEPA or get it wet.  The charcoal section, however, like the prefilter can and should be washed regularly.

Since the OEM charcoal filter frames are plastic, they can be washed.

The "Claire" charcoal filter frames are made of cardboard, so washing them is NOT an option.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Without a proper measuring device you cannot determine the effectiveness of a filter.
Right.

I was referring to the difference in what those two filter were "rated", as the OEM was rated higher than the non-OEM filter.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
This is so sad; I wonder if air pollution is the biggest issue of our time:

MUMBAI, India — About 300 million children in the world breathe highly toxic air, the United Nations Children’s Fund said in a report on Monday that used satellite imagery to illustrate the magnitude of the problem.

The vast majority of these children, about 220 million, live in South Asia, in places where air pollution is at least six times the level that the World Health Organization considers safe, Unicef said.

The agency said the children faced serious health risks as a result.

“Children are uniquely vulnerable because their lungs are still developing,” said Nicholas Rees, the author of the report.

“Early exposure to toxic air has lifelong consequences for them,” he said.

Among the most dangerous pollutants are air particles known as PM2.5, which are a small fraction of the width of a human hair.

They can be released from fossil fuel combustion and industry, and include natural sources like dust.

The ultrafine particles enter the bloodstream through the lungs, worsening cardiac disease and increasing the risk of stroke and heart failure, in addition to causing severe respiratory problems, like asthma and pneumonia.

Early studies also suggest a possible link between pollution and children’s cognitive function, the Unicef report noted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/world/asia/unicef-children-toxic-air.html

Beyond the children living in the most toxic air, about two billion children in the world, constituting the vast majority, live in places where air pollution exceeds the level that the W.H.O. considers unhealthy, the report said.

And Unicef warned that children’s health could be increasingly at risk in the ensuing decades as the most populous countries rapidly industrialize

donovan

« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
I just saw that article too. Truly sad. Flint, Michigan has been in the news recently for its lead-contaminated water, and I all I could think about the long term effects not just for the children exposed and their families, but for the entire community, already struggling with chronic poverty. Now scale that up to the size of entire nations. Now there's no guarantee to free clean water nor free clean air.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:42:25 PM by donovan »

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
I don't know if we can say it's a problem of our time. I'm told that London in the 19th century had a big pollution problem. Some famous French painter went there and painted it.

It would be interesting if there was any indication of the aqi back in those days.

China and India have taken it to new levels though. They have hundreds of cities belching out ontold amount of toxins.

I just read this article on the BBC about air pollution in India.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37819843

I'd be really angry if I lived there. I personally dislike fireworks. The noise and pollution are distressing for me.

donovan

« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
'Selling Air (A.K.A. The Idea They Thought of Next)'

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/world/what-in-the-world/china-bottled-air-pollution.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone

And now, air imported from the farthest (and cleanest) reaches of the world. Is this how it felt when bottled water actually became 'a thing'? I know this is probably not going to be anything but a boutique market for high-end individuals in the smoggiest cities, but it does show you how the well-to-do of society can avoid the worst environmental effects from industry that they most benefitted from. People with money can buy air filters and the most sophisticated masks to avoid the worst effects of pollution, while the poor are left with no such escape.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
Go to Ebay and search pm2.5 to find a cheap monitor. They range from 20-60 for the cheap ones.

I want to see how effective my system is. I'd like to report before December, hopefully.
-AP

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
'Selling Air (A.K.A. The Idea They Thought of Next)'

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/world/what-in-the-world/china-bottled-air-pollution.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone

And now, air imported from the farthest (and cleanest) reaches of the world. Is this how it felt when bottled water actually became 'a thing'? I know this is probably not going to be anything but a boutique market for high-end individuals in the smoggiest cities, but it does show you how the well-to-do of society can avoid the worst environmental effects from industry that they most benefitted from. People with money can buy air filters and the most sophisticated masks to avoid the worst effects of pollution, while the poor are left with no such escape.
There were reports that there were special areas in Beijing for the very rich where they had installed huge air filters so they could spend time outdoors.