February 22, 2019, 12:43:15 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 97138 times)

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
Re: Pollution blues
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
Here's my sincerest gratitude to all fellow waygookins for such excellent advice. Can always count on this community to come through.  I will put all of your suggestions into practice. At present, I'm wearing masks for any and all outdoor activity and have purchased air purifiers for home and office. The mask is helping tremendously.

Again, Thank YOU!! ;D

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
Can anyone explain why it's suddenly got so bad again, post-summer? I had all the symptoms right through Spring and it's horrendous. Is it seasonal, or just particularly bad at the moment? Only been here 7 months.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »
Can anyone explain why it's suddenly got so bad again, post-summer? I had all the symptoms right through Spring and it's horrendous. Is it seasonal, or just particularly bad at the moment? Only been here 7 months.
Summer pollution is from harvests, cars/trucks, and coal plants for cooling. Humidity holds it all in the air.
Winter is from factories, cars/trucks, and coal plants for heating. A lack of precipitation holds it all in the air.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
It was really bad on Friday and Saturday. Luckily the rain has washed it away, at least down in the SW. But not before giving me a sore throat etc. I think I'm going to be purchasing an air purifier in the next few weeks. I can't go through another winter like the last one.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »
Yes autumn truly is the prettiest time of year in Korea! Sparkling!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

Keep your windows closed at home (and in your classroom if possible) when pollution leves are above the W.H.O. level of 25 micrograms (which unfortunately is the case about 95% of the time in Seoul). There's no point paying attention to the Korean pollution system that classifies pollution up to a staggering 80 micrograms as '보통' (meaning 'normal' or 'average').

Don't dry your clothes outdoors on those days too.

On average I get to open my window at home only about 3 or 4 days a month in Seoul!
It's that bad in Seoul. It's bad according to the W.H.O. standards, and it's 'normal' according to the Koreans standards. Which standard are you going to trust? We all know how Koreans can't see danger. The air in Korea is much WORSE than people think.

There are some published facts about the huge increases in lung cancer, birth defects, heart problems etc, that have increased in Korea in the last 20 years. These increases are directly attributable to air pollution and it's a scary read. I don't want to alarm anyone, but preventative measures are highly recommended.

That being said, if you're only here for a year then i wouldn't worry too much, But if you're in Korea long term then you'd better change your behavior.

Am I the only one who thinks this poster is hyper sensitive?

80 micrograms is nothing out of the ordinary and is classified as "unhealthy for sensitive groups"

For some perspective - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34773556

I haven't heard of any scientific study linking KOREAN air pollution to those diseases.

If they exist why not link them?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »

Keep your windows closed at home (and in your classroom if possible) when pollution leves are above the W.H.O. level of 25 micrograms (which unfortunately is the case about 95% of the time in Seoul). There's no point paying attention to the Korean pollution system that classifies pollution up to a staggering 80 micrograms as '보통' (meaning 'normal' or 'average').

On average I get to open my window at home only about 3 or 4 days a month in Seoul!
It's that bad in Seoul. It's bad according to the W.H.O. standards, and it's 'normal' according to the Koreans standards. Which standard are you going to trust? We all know how Koreans can't see danger. The air in Korea is much WORSE than people think.

There are some published facts about the huge increases in lung cancer, birth defects, heart problems etc, that have increased in Korea in the last 20 years. These increases are directly attributable to air pollution and it's a scary read. I don't want to alarm anyone, but preventative measures are highly recommended.

That being said, if you're only here for a year then i wouldn't worry too much, But if you're in Korea long term then you'd better change your behavior.

80 micrograms is nothing out of the ordinary and is classified as "unhealthy for sensitive groups"

I haven't heard of any scientific study linking KOREAN air pollution to those diseases.

Comparing anywhere to China is pointless. China is a polluted hell hole.
Seoul is currently around 150, which is pretty common. Maybe compared to shitsville across the Yellow Sea that's not so bad, but compaed to most cities of similar sizes it's horrendous.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
I'd heard that October here is beautiful, but with the exception of a few days it's been pretty disappointing. Maybe it will start to clear up soon...I was hoping to go hiking a bit but if it's so smoggy I can't see beyond the trees then there's not much point.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »

and some perspective for you. current AQI levels in other major cities:

London: less than 30
New York City: less than 40
Toronto: 25
Tokyo: around 50-60
Los Angeles: around 20
Taipei: 38
Hong Kong: 60
Sydney: 38

And those studies do exist, just google search them.

Offline Trysy_G

• Explorer
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
I am in exactly the same spot as some of the other people aching to hike! I have a hiking itch I need to scratch but trying to find the perfect weekend, to go out when the days or evenings are clear, has become quite troublesome. :undecided:

Offline pigeonfart

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »

Listen Thomas. I'm not oversensitive.
80 micrograms IS something out of the ordinary...unless you're Korean, Chinese, or Indian (then it's very "ordinary").
80 micrograms is 3 times BEYOND the LIMIT of 25 micrograms specified by the W.H.O.

As for the links you want me to post. I can't be expected to do an hours research to find specific scientific studies for you. As Kobayashi said, those links do exist so find them yourself.

Here's just one from a korean newspaper since i'm so kind...
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160509001075

I'll even type the title and copy and paste a few sentences for you...
"Air pollutants blamed for rising birth defects in South Korea"
"It found that 5.5 percent of all infants researched during the period had birth defects, an increase from the 3.3 percent of those born between 1993 and 1994."

That's a 66% INCREASE when most countries are having DECREASES.

Now Thomas, why don't you go suck on an exhaust pipe.

Offline mkgcb

• Waygookin
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and air quality is usually between 0 and on the worst days in the 50's. I immediately noticed the change in AQI upon moving here and I've worked in industrial settings for years without proper protective gear. The air is bad here, it is bad for you, and anyone who says otherwise has probably been here for too long.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-brain-pollution-idUSKCN11K1PC
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/06/03/478796463/koreas-air-is-dirty-but-its-not-all-close-neighbor-chinas-fault
http://datadriven.yale.edu/2016/06/30/air-pollutions-hazy-future-in-south-korea-2/
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/air-pollution/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150423182357.htm

:applause:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »
I never used to get sick. Never went to the doctors. From like 18-32 I think I had visit a Doctor once or twice. And that was living in 4 different countries and travelling extensively. Since living here I have had quite regular issues, mostly to do with my sinuses, throat area. Maybe it's a co-incidence, maybe I'm senstive. But like clockwork, when the numbers get up into Orange and Red territory I start having issues. Last winter was the worst.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
Air is quite poor here.

What I do is strap a hepa filter to a fan. DIY air filter, as effective as an expensive air filter.

h/t to the poster who suggested it.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »
Air is quite poor here.

What I do is strap a hepa filter to a fan. DIY air filter, as effective as an expensive air filter.

Can an effective air filter really be rigged up so simply? Just strap it to the grill?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
I am in exactly the same spot as some of the other people aching to hike! I have a hiking itch I need to scratch but trying to find the perfect weekend, to go out when the days or evenings are clear, has become quite troublesome. :undecided:
The AQI site has mask recommendations.
http://respro.com/store/product/techno-mask

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2016, 09:17:05 PM »
http://smartairfilters.com/data/en/

Some data about using a hepa filter strap-on.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
http://smartairfilters.com/data/en/

Some data about using a hepa filter strap-on.

Ha! Would you look at that...

Offline luzdelsol

• Adventurer
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Air is quite poor here.

Can I get link to a cheap filter on Gmarket or the like? I'm struggling to find one under $100! Or could I pick one up at my local hardware store??
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:14:16 PM by luzdelsol »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
I'd heard that October here is beautiful, but with the exception of a few days it's been pretty disappointing. Maybe it will start to clear up soon...I was hoping to go hiking a bit but if it's so smoggy I can't see beyond the trees then there's not much point.

Yeah, this fall has been crap.  Usually, it's blue skies, clear, and dry.  Last week a few days were decent.  The start of fall was delayed by two weeks due to cloudy, humid, and rainy weather.  Then, last week, it got really nice.  But, since last Friday or so, it's been a whitish haze - some part humid fog, some part yellow dust, and some part pollution.  I can't even see the mountains in the distance like I usually can.  Tried to go out for a bike ride and it was slightly humid and smoggy.  Yuck.  This is definitely the year without an autumn.  Hopefully, it'll clear up by the weekend.