March 25, 2019, 01:01:22 AM

Author Topic: Guess the Picture  (Read 4657 times)

Offline vvang24

• Newgookin
Guess the Picture
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
You will need white boards or just put a piece of white paper in the plastic protector sheets and use that as a white board. Also, tissue to wipe the boards and markers.

1. Students are split into groups (up to you depending on your class size). I used this with a class of 10-15 and had two teams. 

2. Teacher will give the spelling word.Team 1 will try to spell the word. If they spell the word correctly then I show them the first slide. If they spell it incorrectly, then I give Team 2 a word  to spell in order to reveal the picture.

3. Basically every chance they spell a word correctly I reveal the picture and they can take a guess.

(Although the entire team can help the person spelling the word, I make sure that at least everyone writes a spelling word once. )

3. The earlier they guess the correct picture then the more points they get so for example 1st try=10 pts 2nd try=8 pts...etc. Basically, as you reveal more and more of the picture the points get lower and lower.

**Pictures were old according to my students so you may want to change them up. I also included singers such as Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey.

**I did a comparison of Korean mvs and American mvs as a part of my lesson when I used this. You could read about this in my post below. I hope it clarifies things a bit...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:06:42 AM by vvang24 »

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
Re: Guess the Picture
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the point of this game. Do the pictures have some connection to the words you are having them spell?

Also, most celebrities known in the US are not going to be well known to the children here. They will know Korean celebrities. The only American celebrities they know are Iron Man and Hulk. (they will not know actor or singer names...trust me)
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline vvang24

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »
Ah you're right about the celebrity names! I forgot to mention that this was played after I showed them two music videos. I compared a Kpop music video to an American music video and asked them questions about the differences. For example, I'd show a Kpop music video that has a lot of "sexy" in it and then I'd show one from America that has a lot of "sexy" in it as well. Then I'd have them compare the similarities and differences of what each culture considered "sexy". I was doing this all week so by this time they should have known who these ladies were. Obviously, you could change the pictures.  I should also mention that I teach an all girls middle school. You'd be surprised at how much they know...Students came to me asking about Eminem and even suggested me to listen to his new album. o.o Some famous people they're familiar with are Justin Bieber, One Direction, Maroon 5, Will Smith, Kristen Stewart, Brittney Spears, Lady Gaga, Johnny Depp and more...

So since I was trying to follow the theme of my class the pictures were just for fun--no connection to the spelling words. You could if you wanted to. The pictures here are all girl groups/girl singers in Korea since I was focusing on the image of female singers in Korea as well as the absence of these kinds of groups in America. The words that I used for spelling were pulled either from their textbook or materials that I'd been using with the students. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:14:39 AM by vvang24 »

Offline eunhakim

• Newgookin
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
 :shocked: Great~!

Offline sbk

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
I will see if i can change the pics. Maybe it's not going to work so well at my boys middle school.