November 21, 2018, 03:42:37 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Some posters here are not Native English Teachers  (Read 7377 times)

siamagoo

Re: Some posters here are not Native English Teachers
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
To be fair, I think that if there are Korean teachers posting in this forum, their grammar should be POLITELY corrected.  After all, they are teaching English. 

Personally, I have a don't-correct-them-unless-you-need-to style, but I'm not saying that's the best way.

If you do want to help correct someone's English, though, you should probably do it politely in a private message, not publicly on this forum.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
I subscribed to the belief of don't correct people unless they ask you to or if their actions are perpetuating incorrect information, such as a teacher mispronouncing or giving the wrong word to the class. I would correct them after class.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
A Korean English teacher's grammar is normally better than the English teachers on here.

That's only if the native teacher never studied grammar.   The Korean teacher is better at "teaching" grammar to students only because it's a difficult subject which needs someone that can explain it to you in a language you understand.

Offline JuliusCaesar108

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
As a general rule, I don't bother correcting grammar or punctuation on message boards or blogs because I find it to be frivolous; but secondly, I find it to be easy for me to make mistakes on them, too.  Whether they are typos, or typing faster than I think, I find that to be some reasons when I make mistakes.

Having said that, since posts are supposed to be anonymous, I think anyone would treat each other the same here whether you're a grammar Nazi or not ~ we might never know if one is a foreigner or Korean teacher.  Being polite is a given on this board, because that is what contributes to this site being so great, in addition to all the ideas posted here.
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

Offline wondershot

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
"...grew up in English teachers..."

I'm picturing an Aliens chest-bursting kind of scenario.

+1

Offline samplerplatter

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
Honestly, I feel that in certain circumstances there are Koreans that are much better at grammar than any native English speaker.  I've had friends that were Korean 'fobs' in America, and they could run circles around my grammar knowledge in high school.  I'm not saying every single Korean is going to have these capabilities, but I'm just saying that the grammatically incorrect waygook posters might be a Native English teacher who just might not want to care how they are writing things. 

I've seen so many 'Native English teachers'  text: how are u? i'll see you l8r and myb nxt time.
It doesn't mean that they don't know any better. They might just not want to write it any better.

I constantly mistype things on facebook and am too lazy to correct. I often pull an eecummings and not capitalize anything in my sentences when I write my e-mails home.

I think it's hard to assume who's who, and honestly if this forum is open to help each other out and to get creative feedback and to gain different opinions, who cares where it's coming from.

Offline rhetoric

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
Re: "That's only if the native teacher never studied grammar.   The Korean teacher is better at "teaching" grammar to students only because it's a difficult subject which needs someone that can explain it to you in a language you understand."

Many Korean teachers will say that they teach grammar, but if you ask them what a Noun is, they're stumped.  What they mean to say is that they teach equivalence algorithms, formulas for transmuting the English lead into Korean gold.  These can get incredibly complex, but in terms of pedagogy they are important because they keep the student mired in comfortable Korean, while giving the appearance of exposing them to English.  They're also great for business, as it is the ability to quickly deliver the results of these computations which gets tested; not, actually, English.

Grammar plays an important role in organizing the target language, but the role can be overplayed or misused.  Many of the posts here on Waygook allow Korean teachers to get up to speed on grammatical issues, and to expose their students to proper grammatical terms in an interesting way (see Betty Azar's basic grammar).  Most studies on correcting mistakes, including grammatical mistakes, conclude that it is an art, and that, well-timed, it can be inspiring; and misused, it can be discouraging. 

On a forum like this, where the posters are professional, one would assume that the participants would welcome corrections (it might be better to do them privately) as one would be embarrassed to repeat mistakes.  In some cases, Language Users scorn aspects of grammar, insisting that inadequate equivalency formulas (which do not adequately account for preposition use, among other things) should take precedence.  Grammar is best acquired through extensive reading, with a peppering of formal rules; students who learn grammar by memorizing formulae and reading material only in translation soon fall on their own sword. 

Mother is the Invention of Necessity

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Re: "That's only if the native teacher never studied grammar.   The Korean teacher is better at "teaching" grammar to students only because it's a difficult subject which needs someone that can explain it to you in a language you understand."

Many Korean teachers will say that they teach grammar, but if you ask them what a Noun is, they're stumped.  What they mean to say is that they teach equivalence algorithms, formulas for transmuting the English lead into Korean gold.  These can get incredibly complex, but in terms of pedagogy they are important because they keep the student mired in comfortable Korean, while giving the appearance of exposing them to English.  They're also great for business, as it is the ability to quickly deliver the results of these computations which gets tested; not, actually, English.

They'd know what a noun is but they really struggle with things that do not fit into the formulae they've learned. A good example would be fragmentary sentences and appositives. Lots of proficient English speakers use them and they are not necessarily incorrect. Yet, take out the subject and the 'grammar' teachers are just stumped as to how to analyse it.