January 23, 2019, 04:57:52 PM

Author Topic: Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?  (Read 22170 times)

Offline MissEzri

• Adventurer
Re: Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
I had a 5 day, 4-45min/day camp. I showed a movie during one period with questions related to the movie that the teams had to answer while they watched. I cleared it with my co-teacher's first but they said if the other parts were full of activities (which they were) there was no problem.

Only issue was getting the students to write something other than 'we watched a movie' in their journals...

Offline katsy3g4

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
It's a cop-out, but camps are stupid in the first place. Way back when, we could actually go home during winter vacation, but the Korean teachers complained and thus the idea of camps was invented.

I heard a different reason. At a teaching workshop about a year ago, the guy giving the lecture said way back before Korea required background checks for foreign teachers, a guy took a vacation to Thailand or something and sexually molested a number of children. He was discovered and because of that, the Korean government decided to make winter and summer camps to make it more difficult for foreigners to travel during there time off. I guess the reason being the less we can travel, the less chance of wrong-doing happening?

Offline 24open_yangsan_gukbap

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »
If you have to ask the question "Is this lazy teaching?" then you already know the answer.

I would be embarrassed to put on a movie.

Yes, camps are stupid--because they're not taken seriously enough to actually have much benefit for the students. That doesn't keep me from trying.

LOL@ the last comment, suggesting that camps were introduced to prevent teachers from molesting kids in SE Asia on vacation--that's just a logical fallacy that's too dumb to even address. Obviously, camps were started because we're here, being paid to teach 22 hours a week, and wouldn't it make sense to bring some kids for extra study during the vacation period?

I did two winter camps last year, one at the middle school and one at the high school, and I made them both worthwhile. Be creative. If you empathize with your students--forced to study all day, even during vacation--then come up with some engaging activities that will get them speaking English, if not actually studying.

Offline michaelfehon

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
Last day of summer camp,  last week of the year,   very little learning takes place.  Call me unprofessional but give the kids a break.   Put your feet up and put a good movie on.

Offline William George

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?

Only by jerks.

Offline larissap

• Waygookin
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
I always create a camp based off of one movie. I show 20-30 mins of the movie in the beginning of class, then they answer an easy set of questions about the segment and participate in an activity that's loosely based on the entire movie.

The movie in the beginning allows for late students to arrive without messing up the groups for the activity.

Last camp I did the first Harry Potter movie, and had the students play tournament games, make potions and design mythical creatures, among other things.

Offline Abbyteacher

• Explorer
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
Depending on your class, some will just refuse to participate.You cant teach students that wont be taught. People that don't teach your classes don't know, so don't let their opinions upset you.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with showing movies. It does help... some students. But use it sparingly. I personally only throw in a movie at the end of the semesters (ms & hs levels), last weeks and in that February week they come back to school. English subs on the bottom and Korean subs up top. A few students will actually look at the English subs, while watching.

Offline Jet0716

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Hey!  Im pretty new to teaching here in Korea but i am a licensed and slightly experienced teacher in the states.  This movie/tv show/clip debate thing happens there too.  Theres always some old dude who thinks it a freaking joke and that the kids should be listening to him lecture quietly or writing an essay.  Obviously ESL/EFL is a little different but ive still seen many a similar teacher.  The previous poster seemed pretty right on. 

As far as i can tell theres nothing wrong with using movies and tv shows and clips . . . that are backed up with some pre and post instruction.  Set up the media with some information or things for the student to be looking for/recognizing and follow it up att he end.  Make sure that they end up producing something too.  Not just heading out as the bell rings.  Fill out a sheet aimed at a sentence structure you have been teaching or something like that. 

The lazy thing that i see and have been guilty of before, is being too busy and not setting aside time to plan something.  So you just snag a video and play it.  No support, no goals, no guidance or nothing.  And thats not always cool.

As far as camps go im planning a solid half hour to 45 minutes at the end of each day to practice something weve learned that day through a video of some kind.  Its a solid cool down thing when youre all tired and hot from the previous 3 hours of learning.  And movies are fun.  And these are kids.  Sooooooo maybe a little chill fun learning has its place yah?

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Not unless you spend the entire winter camp presenting movies.

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
I think watching 240p repeats of GoGo's english or Mr bean on youtube the whole time is pretty lazy.

But I think it would be pretty cool to have a movie camp where the movies are analysed and discussed with various activities related to them.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that while, yes, camps are annoying, students wouldn't come if they weren't looking for a chance to learn something.
Actually not true. A lot of them are forced to come, by someone like parents, or teachers. Depends on the school. Often some students just stop showing up after the first day, some don't even show up at all.

Offline expatinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
People may think it's lazy, but I'm basically building my camp around movies. I have 0 budget and not very many materials I can really work with in my classroom. So I'm going to show one movie each week, but the kids are still having to do English work. The older kids will have to write down what they see happening in the movie, and be able to tell me the general story. I'm also making vocabulary sheets and word searches for them. I'm also not showing Korean subtitles in the movies. So they will have to pay attention, and they will have to think. If people still think that's lazy, oh well.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »
It's a cop-out, but camps are stupid in the first place. Way back when, we could actually go home during winter vacation, but the Korean teachers complained and thus the idea of camps was invented.
Why the eff would they complain? It's not like they have camps to do

Online TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
I thought camps were made because some schools allowed foreign teachers to take the whole vacation off, while other schools forced their teachers to come in and desk warm. The teachers who had to desk warm complained to EPIK/GEPIK so they punished everyone with camps.

Offline lelsasser

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that while, yes, camps are annoying, students wouldn't come if they weren't looking for a chance to learn something.
Actually not true. A lot of them are forced to come, by someone like parents, or teachers. Depends on the school. Often some students just stop showing up after the first day, some don't even show up at all.

I have to agree. Even though I have a mix, there is definitely some students in my class who were forced to come by their parents/grandparents.

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »
I thought camps were made because some schools allowed foreign teachers to take the whole vacation off, while other schools forced their teachers to come in and desk warm. The teachers who had to desk warm complained to EPIK/GEPIK so they punished everyone with camps.
Deskwarming came from the complaints. Some schools had camps and funding for them. Others didn't. So, teachers at schools with camps stayed around and worked them while others took the whole time off. So, the ones who had to work complained that it wasn't fair so the compromise was that everyone had to come in aside from their official allotted 8-10 vacation days.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
The "teachers" on here who think showing a movie in class is "Lazy" can shove it!! 

Look I get it, I've seen it.  "Teachers"  who take youtube request from the students and have the entire class be nothing but K-POP viewing hour(s) because 1. They wanted to be the cool teacher 2. They didn't give a sh*t about their jobs 3. Yes THAT IS LAZY.   I remember one summer camp I did at a college were they invited some elementary kids to stay over and there was this one guy who got into big trouble with the staff because that's EXACTLY what he was doing.  His defense was "it's summer camp, let the kids have fun!"  The staff told him that he was hired for the temp camp to TEACH ENGLISH! 

So yes if you are making however long the camp is one movie after the other and not quizzing your kids THEN YES it is lazy. 

But SOME OF US have camp for a WHOLE MONTH!! There we see the same kids in a room for 3 or 4 hours straight.   We need a few movies to get these kids to relax.  This coming January from the 9th till the 31st I will have to do my winter camp.  THAT'S 16 DAYS!!! Yes and EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT have the kids do any writing or book work what so ever mostly arts and crafts, games, and contest etc.  THEY STILL DON'T WANT TO BE THERE BECAUSE THEY SEE THAT THEIR OTHER CLASSMATES ARE NOT THERE!  So yeah needless to say they are a little bitter.  On the last 4 days of my camp I PLAN ON POPPING IN MOVIES AND CHILLING THE HECK OUT.  The kids will welcome it!   I'm SORRY NOT SORRY HOW ANY OF YOU FEEL ABOUT IT AND MY SCHOOL THAT I'VE BEEN WITH FOR 4 YEARS IS PERFECTLY COOL WITH IT.  So bug off!!! 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:56:30 AM by Piggydee »

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »
Ummm You guys realize there is much more going on during winter camps at your school that DON'T center around English.  At my school we have guitar camp, library camp, coding camp, and science camp.  I only see the kids for 2 or 3 hours (depending on the day)   The rest is spent doing something else.  So there school camps are not centered around us.  The reason why we don't get to have 2 month long vacations like our Korean coworkers do is because we are on a different type of contract (year by year)  Most teachers are on a 3 year or more contract so that allows them more perks like to leave the building early and longer vacations.  I doubt it has something to do with some pervert who went to Thailand.  Whoever said that to one of us was probably just assuming under his/her own bigotry of foreigners as to why we don't get as much time off as he/she does.  It's because we are under different contracts.   :rolleyes:

I've always been pretty cool with the time I get off though.  I get the entire month of February off so I'm straight.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:45 AM »
That's what I told my Co-T last year.

:police: Look, we don't want to be here, the kids don't want to be here..........

>:( *looks like I just killed a sacred cow*

:police: so let's try to have a lot of fun, and the English can be by accident.

>:(  *face just looks like this anyway*  Okay.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free