January 20, 2019, 10:57:59 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?  (Read 22086 times)

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
Thoughts on showing movies during winter camp?

I have 5 days 2 hours a day and am considering a Disney theme with a movie one day, activity the next, movie one day, activity the next and run a scavenger hunt and auction on the last day.

I'm just not sure how schools feel about this/ if they like it or not? Is it viewed as 'lazy' teaching? Anyone done this type of thing before? What was the reaction from the kids?

It's my first Winter Camp so I'm a bit nervous about planning it all and any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
Re: Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
It's a cop-out, but camps are stupid in the first place. Way back when, we could actually go home during winter vacation, but the Korean teachers complained and thus the idea of camps was invented.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Camps are lame and unless the schools give you sensible objective to achieve then feel free to entertain the kids how you want. I'd wouldn't do it during a HS camp but Middle School why not?

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:03:08 AM »
I have to do a reading camp.

I'm doing an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz with my middle school kids.  It's been adapted into essentially 5 chapters of about 6 or 7 pages in length.  As such, we're going to have a 'movie clip' session after the chapter of the day so that all the students get the story.  My coteacher even suggested it.

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
My camps are always 5 days long @ 4x40min periods per day. I usually show a movie on the last day and the theme for the week is based upon the movie. I don't think it's a cop-out if you've created a well rounded camp and don't just throw crap together to fill the time.

Offline bird212

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
As long as you can make good use of movies I don't see any problem with them.

My camp is going to be held for two days, the next two Saturdays, for 7 hours each day.  My kids are HS kids, but still that's a looong day, especially after just finishing their finals today!  I have a movie in the afternoon, for which they'll learn vocabulary and answer questions during the movie, and then do some activities afterward.  My CT said she and another teacher were concerned they wouldn't be active or pay attention or that the movie wouldn't do anything for them.  Come on, they'll be here ALL day, they will be answering questions and using the movie for material, and they will be super active the rest of the day: crafts, games, and cooking.  I think a movie is just fine!
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
I'm jealous of all of you with 5-day camps. My school has decided on 18 days. I am probably going to show a movie on two of those days - one a week or so in, as we finish our Dr Seuss theme, and another on the last day.

If you're making use of the movies, you can justify it pretty easily. The students will know the stories, so have them tell you the plot in English, give them a simple worksheet, ask them questions after. If you're only going to watch them, then doing a camp that's half movies (ie, no work for you) is probably going to look pretty bad to your school. My school is generally pretty chill but they've asked me not to show any movies in December, because they want the students to work in English class.

Don't worry too much about filling the time - use google to search this site, there are a lot of resources. You can send them on a "quest," blindfolded, through the classroom. Move desks while the student is already blindfolded and have their teammates shout instructions (you can send a villain in after them, if you want), That'll eat up an hour easily. Send them on a scavenger hunt, and tell them they must ask for the things they need in English. If you need to schedule a quieter activity, you could create your own wordsearches here with character names/themed words: http://tools.atozteacherstuff.com/word-search-maker/
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
I'm jealous of all of you with 5-day camps.

Don't be too jealous - I have 3x5 day camps. Gr. 1/2, Gr. 3/4, then Gr. 5/6. My sympathy to you, though... 18 days with one group of kids seems quite excessive.

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
I'm jealous of all of you with 5-day camps.

Don't be too jealous - I have 3x5 day camps. Gr. 1/2, Gr. 3/4, then Gr. 5/6. My sympathy to you, though... 18 days with one group of kids seems quite excessive.

It's actually two groups each day, and it works out to 36 classes per group. Knowing how restless they were last winter, I'm giving myself a headache trying to come up with enough different activities. It'll work out, but it's a lot of work, and I wish they hadn't added the last three days.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
I'm jealous of all of you with 5-day camps. My school has decided on 18 days. I am probably going to show a movie on two of those days - one a week or so in, as we finish our Dr Seuss theme, and another on the last day.

If you're making use of the movies, you can justify it pretty easily. The students will know the stories, so have them tell you the plot in English, give them a simple worksheet, ask them questions after. If you're only going to watch them, then doing a camp that's half movies (ie, no work for you) is probably going to look pretty bad to your school. My school is generally pretty chill but they've asked me not to show any movies in December, because they want the students to work in English class.

Don't worry too much about filling the time - use google to search this site, there are a lot of resources. You can send them on a "quest," blindfolded, through the classroom. Move desks while the student is already blindfolded and have their teammates shout instructions (you can send a villain in after them, if you want), That'll eat up an hour easily. Send them on a scavenger hunt, and tell them they must ask for the things they need in English. If you need to schedule a quieter activity, you could create your own wordsearches here with character names/themed words: http://tools.atozteacherstuff.com/word-search-maker/

That seems pretty...excessive.  18 days?  For how long per day?

O_O

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
That seems pretty...excessive.  18 days?  For how long per day?

O_O

I agree. 4 hours, split between 3rd and 4th grades together, and 5th and 6th.

Offline matthews_world

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
Yes, movies make for lazy teaching unless there are some themematic vocabulary or sentence patterns corresponding to it.

It's up to the NET to plan the cirriculum for the camp - not the particular school or district.  Don't get caught with your toes crossed.

Some schools go with bought textbooks but this is rare.

If it still holds true, each NET is required to prepare their own 'textbook' of handouts and worksheets to prepare for the students.

Offline lisselou

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
There are so many lesson ideas and activities on this site alone (not to mention the wealth of resources on the internet), there's no reason you can't add a little more pizazz to your winter camp. In my case, the camps were the only time I had any funding or freedom to teach something interesting. We did science experiments and guessed at the outcomes. We made pinatas and puppets. We went on treasure hunts and went on field trips. Have fun with this time, enjoy yourself and get to know your students better!

Those of you who say camps are "stupid" and "lame" you should be ashamed of yourselves. What is your reason for being here? Sounds to me that you don't care a lick about the students who have to attend these camps and just want to be paid for doing nothing.

If you want your camp to have a Disney theme and use a film, I suggest some reading or listening activities based on scenes from the film. For example, a listening fill-in-the-blank activity, or reading for gist/reading for detail using dialogue from the film. Pre-teach vocabulary words from the script that the students won't know.

At the end of my last winter camp, we watched a short fim (I had to find one with Korean subs) and the students made puppets based on characters from the film and wrote their own script. They acted out scenes from the movie and it was really interesting to see how they translated certain things. They enjoyed making the puppets, too. We did shadow puppets, but a sock or paper bag puppet would work. I did this with 1st and 2nd year middle students, you'd think they were "too cool" for this, but they weren't! I don't know what age group you're teaching, but you owe it to your students (and believe me, it will get you major points with your co-teacher) to do something engaging.

Hope this helps.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I always show a movie on the last day of camp along with some snacks. My camp is 7 days this year compared to 10 days last year. 18 days is crazy.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
 I am planning to show Wallace and Gromit  A Close Shave there will be no Korean subtitles just English. There will be a worksheet. The story in simple enough to be understood with English subtitles. It's not the movies or even the movie idea that is bad it's the idea of letting them watch English movies with Korean subtitles that is lame. When you let them watch a movie with Korean subtitles you are providing them with something they would get at home. I alsso put the video on pause and let them do listen and repeat.

Offline livingincolour

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
My school positively encourages me to make sure camps are fun. The kids love movies, so I'm showing them one (with Korean subtitles). It's linked to the camp theme. I will pre-teach some vocabulary, plan some discussions on themes in the movie,  make some worksheets and games. I also get students to write and present movie reviews.

I recently showed Wallace and Gromit's the curse of the were-rabbit to my 5th + 6th grade after school students, they loved it.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
My coteacher's lazy route of teaching is to have the students all cook food on the last day of camp. It eats up all the time. So, while they are all sitting and munching on crazy sandwiches and tortilla pizza, they only thing we could really do was watch a movie. WALL-E was a big hit. Granted, my summer camp was an atrociously dry NEAT test prep camp (at the behest of another coteacher), so the students and I were both relieved to watch a movie.

This winter I'm running a poetry camp, and have much more freedom. There will be some songs and clips, but I'd really rather the students read, write, and recite poems than be completely passive while taking in a film.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Some people need to step down from their high horses.

You don't always need to bore students with vocabulary or fill-in-the-blank activities in order to justify showing a movie. You can choose themes from the movie and base your activities around them - experiments, crafts, and other activities. If you have a well-rounded, well-balanced camp, just a movie is okay. Is it lazy when you just throw in a movie to kill time? Yes. This is not always the case, though. It's okay to let the kids relax without making yourself feel lazy or guilty. I also don't think that subtitles are always a bad thing - most of the students in my school would not be able to understand a movie with any conversation sans-subtitles. Showing the film without subtitles just becomes a frustrating reminder of their low English ability and it ceases to be enjoyable.

Also, camps ARE lame at some schools. My first school filled my camps with 30 students, didn't give me a budget, and I didn't have any coteacher support. Of course the camps were filled with students known to have behavioural issues, whose English levels are just about zero, and whose parents merely saw the 'camp' as an affordable (ie. free) way to get their kids out of their hair for a few hours per day. Some coteachers WANT you to do meaningless activities and don't want the students to have to do any thinking. Some coteachers want the camp to be boring and dry... worksheets for days. Even the best teacher with the most amazing lesson plans would feel a bit defeated by the whole thing. My new school is a whole different ball game and now I enjoy my camps and take pride in creating well-rounded, exciting, and engaging lessons.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:52:59 AM by TeachaTeacha »

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I have 15 camp days, 4 hours a day between 1st and 4th grades.  This school is crazy.  I Know I wont be renewing!  It was the same during the summer. :evil: I'm showing every movie I can and cranking up the heat.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline Grimne_Lothos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »
my schools have never once suggested that camps were to be educational in any way./   They are only supposed to be fun and in English.