September 21, 2018, 11:16:07 PM

Author Topic: English test scores  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Lever

• Adventurer
English test scores
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:05:46 AM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to post my question.

I live in Chungnam province.  I have not been here long, but I keep hearing that this province is testing very low in English.  How low is low?  Are the top provinces getting 95% on this test and my province gets 65%?

I've even gotten an official, albeit vague, email from the office of education asking for everyone's help to try and improve the education of our students.  And I would love to.  I think my students are great, and I'd like to give them an opportunity to succeed.  But not knowing what they are lacking, and having not worked anywhere else in Korea, I really don't know what I'm supposed to be aiming for. 

So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.   :)

Offline cragesmure

• Super Waygook
Re: English test scores
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:39:12 AM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to post my question.

I live in Chungnam province.  I have not been here long, but I keep hearing that this province is testing very low in English.  How low is low?  Are the top provinces getting 95% on this test and my province gets 65%?

I've even gotten an official, albeit vague, email from the office of education asking for everyone's help to try and improve the education of our students.  And I would love to.  I think my students are great, and I'd like to give them an opportunity to succeed.  But not knowing what they are lacking, and having not worked anywhere else in Korea, I really don't know what I'm supposed to be aiming for. 

Welcome to Korea.  They want higher scores, not better education.  They have no idea how to improve the education system, and if you try to make changes, they will be shot down because that's not how things are done here.  The easy solution is to just make sure your students get high scores, either through easier tests or more lenient grading.  If the testing/grading is centralised, find out exactly what's on the test and only teach/drill that material.  They look like good students, you look like a good teacher and the administration looks efficient.  It sucks and I know it's infinitely frustrating, but that's how things work here.  Appearance is everything, substance is nothing.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »

Get the EBS listening test scores from your CT in April. That should give you a good idea how far off the mark they are. Any class over 65% would be a 'good' class relative to the national average and above 75 would be superb. Below 40 and you're pretty much looking at the bottom of the barrel and have to treat them like false beginners.

Offline Lever

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »