April 18, 2014, 08:10:23 PM

Author Topic: class game "punishments"  (Read 10038 times)

Offline L Waygook

• Veteran
Re: class game "punishments"
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 02:50:44 PM »
I teach Elementary School. I have found that just the fact of losing the game is enough for my kids. They always slump a bit lower in their chairs after losing. We give a vitamin or a mint to the winners of the games. They are so small but for some reason its enough.
I really disagree with using any kind of physical consequence for losing. Korean students are always so hard on themselves and they, in my opinion, are way too stressed and overworked anyway. Why would we add to it by punishing them for losing?

Offline pyeager

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
I think individual style and personalities of both teachers and students are the main factors here. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it would be awful. Also, note that in the OP's case, it seems like a lot of it was the co-teacher's idea. Sometimes winning is not enough of a reward to motivate all students. Trying to avoid losing keeps those who aren't doing as well in whatever game/competition from giving up. It sounds to me that the OP is trying to lighten the mood in the classroom more than anything else.

I have had the losers bow to the winners a few times when we play games. I always make sure that the students accept the rules before we start. Just like when they play rock, paper, scissors, they always determine whether losing gets a flick on the forehead, a slap on the wrist or a kick in the groin before they start. If you want students to really think of the learning activity as a game, I see no problem with including culturally appropriate rewards and consequences.

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
It's deplorable. Your co-teacher should be ashamed of themselves and so should you for thinking it a good idea and asking for more suggestions. They all seem to be based on public humiliation or physical pain (that two fingers thing can hurt a young child).

Cleaning the classroom after the lesson is over? That would be the worst I would go for and I even feel uncomfortable going that.

It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline embesen

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
I've never used physical punishments for these types of things, I have a set of "English penalty" (벌 칙) cards that they have to choose from if they are stuck with the ball during pass the ball during a warm up game or i make group sets as "chance" cards during board games. Usually I make sure the really shy students don't get stuck with the punishments, as it would be mortifying. otherwise its all in good fun and i've never had a kid freak out and everyone has a giggle.

my deck includes:
-saying "I love you" to a teacher 3 times
-acting out animal and other students have to guess
-writing name with hip
-jumping up and down three times
-singing the alphabet

Offline ucla_all_the_way

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
If I wasn't the original poster I would think there was just straight up abuse going on in the classroom.  I have never ever had an instance in my class that would cross boundaries or even be labelled as abuse.

You really opened up a can of fire with your teeth man.

damn did I ever...

Offline jonnyofthelamp

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
Just adding my 2 cents here...

Kids need positive re-enforcement. I run my games such that the winners get to pick candy out of my "good" candy bin. The losers still get candy(because they need to be rewarded for at least trying) but out of the slightly lower quality candy bin. I would never "punish" them for participating.

Just saying...

Offline dmhr25

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
You stated that,  "I have never ever had an instance in my class that would cross boundaries or even be labelled as abuse."

I'm not trying to rag on you, but I'm concerned that you, as a teacher, don't understand the unnecessary severity of kids hitting each other, being forced to bend over and do something embarrassing with their buttocks, or taunt each other.

As I've stated prior, it's paramount that you make your classroom as safe and positive as possible.  As a teacher, you should be trying to uplift the kids, not embarrass them.

Offline marysteph

• Waygookin
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
Interesting thread.

We just finished a week playing the card game Spoons, and I created a list of things the winning student (the first to get four of the same part of speech) could choose to tell the losing student (the only one without a spoon) to do. I don't want to actively encourage the slapping on the wrists or backs, but I also don't really stop it when I see it either, that's how a lot of Korean kids have fun! I did take out a student's suggestion of "couple dance"--boy, did I get some sexy dancing from my students with that one.

Nevertheless, I think it's important to think about what was happening. My kids were constantly pressing each other to play the game--to match parts of speech--in order to watch one of their friends dance/sing/etc (or even risk their own embarassment!). I played with them, too. When I lost, I had to tell a student I loved her, and in another instance had to dance around the room like a ballerina. I had two students ask me to marry them, which was sweet. :) Not only are they encouraging each other to practice grammar, they're self evaluating, as the loser always checks that all four parts of speech are the same just in case he can get out of embarrassing himself! It's a fantastic exercise for them.

On top of it all, it makes students way, way more comfortable with each other. As much as people have made the valid point that some students might dread situations where they'll have to embarrass themselves in class, it's important to acknowledge that we teach language and that in language learning, students HAVE to be willing to embarrass themselves. If we establish an atmosphere that it's okay, and even fun, to embarrass yourself, in dancing or in making mistakes, it only adds to the classroom experience. (Especially in Korea!!!)

I do love the spelling names with their butts--my favorite coteacher taught it to me. (but they should NOT be leaning over to do that!) That said, I think it's inappropriate for anything under high school or mature classes in middle school.

Here's the list I gave my students.

Dance!
Sing!
Make a funny face
Dance like a ballerina
Propose to someone
Tell someone you really love them
Ask someone for their phone number
Dance like a chicken
Dance like a monkey
Blow a kiss to someone! (공중으로 친구에게 뽀뽀날리기)
Bark like a dog
Dance like a robot
Snort like a pig

They've been awesome.

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »
-saying "I love you" to a teacher 3 times

So, what did the teacher have you say in English class today... :o :o :o
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline Odang

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »

This is insane.

Recent Lesson Plans

Need some help with materials! by nialloc9
[Today at 07:00:39 PM]

ESL games for adults by nialloc9
[Today at 06:58:22 PM]

Great preposition activity! by MoneyMike
[Today at 05:14:40 PM]