September 23, 2014, 01:18:20 PM

Author Topic: Framingham MA TESOL. Anyone else interested?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline freshking

• Waygookin
Re: Framingham MA TESOL. Anyone else interested?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »
Do you have links with more information?  I have had friends do this program and go on to good jobs (both here, other countries and home).  But their information is old and isn't working for me.  I think I'd be interested, but I need the info.  Thanks in advance!

I'm interested in knowing if there is a stigma attached to this being an online or "hybrid" TESL masters to community colleges in the US.  I'd like to eventually use this education to teach community college in the states, but I need to know that it is generally accepted there.  Can you provide any more info?

Offline jeremydc808

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »
Apparently from former students, the program is in limbo.

Offline jeremydc808

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
Apparently, it was a rumor. People have gotten accepted as of yesterday. 16 people on the waiting list.

Offline erynj

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
As some of you may know, Framingham sends their professors here during public school vacation for an intense course workload. I have been chatting with a few of the coordinators and the run down is simple. Cost: 6,000$ Courses: 10 (40 per course) and it is usually during winter and summer vacation as well as another 5 day break.

You can get a teaching license when you finish the program but that requires you to do a 300 hour practicum in Mass after you complete the program.

I'm interested and about to start sending documents. I'm just wondering if anyone else is considering doing the same.

How does the 300 hour bit work?

There is a bit more you have to do besides the 300 hours.  I contacted Framingham for clarification about the "International Education Program Master of Education concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language" program
and the "Master of Education concentration in The Teaching
of English as a Second Language" program. 

This is the information I received from Joyce M. Fahey the Associate Director at Framingham State University C. Louis Cedrone International Education Center on December 14th.   

"There are a few differences in these programs.  The program offered at the main campus in Framingham, MA, comes with licensure while the program abroad does not.  The same ten courses are offered in each program.
The Graduate Record Exam is required for the on-campus licensure program.  It is not for the program abroad.
The culminating experience in the on-campus program is a written comprehensive examination, and for the abroad program the portfolio is the culminating experience.

The licensing component is optional for the on-campus program.  You would be required to take a 300 hour practicum in the State of Massachusetts.  You would also have to take and pass the State Examinations leading to licensure which include the MTEL and Subject Examination.

We have had students complete all ten program courses in Korea, and then transfer into the on campus program in order to be licensed.  You would then have to take the GRE, pass the written comprehensive examination, and then complete the requirements for the licensure option listed above."

Offline jeremydc808

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. From my previous talk with Joyce, she did not mention the extra requirements. She did say it may change so it has.

Online orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
Apparently, it was a rumor. People have gotten accepted as of yesterday. 16 people on the waiting list.

Just wondering where you got this information.

Offline jeremydc808

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
I was accepted yesterday and Joyce mentioned the waiting the list.

Online orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
Ok, thanks.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment