October 17, 2018, 12:07:52 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Signs of Shame as Punishment  (Read 2876 times)

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
Signs of Shame as Punishment
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »
It appears a new form of punishment has come into use at my ES. There are currently several gr.6 boys standing outside various entrances/exits holding signs which I can only assume say they shamed themselves/their school as punishment.

I assume this because a) I can't read hangul b) the boys look very unhappy holding them & c) they are students that have been known to cause trouble.

Also saw one boy with a similar sign worn around his neck in the cafeteria yesterday.

Has anyone else seen this?

Offline JamesTPicard

• Veteran
Re: Signs of Shame as Punishment
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
They could be saying anything.  Possibly welcoming people to the school or telling kids not to run in the halls.  My school has kids holding signs too, but they are part of certain student groups and its not a punishment, just a duty. 

It might be a punishment or it might not be.  But there isn't enough there to assume what the sign actually says.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
There were kids lined up outside my school this morning, but I didn't stop to see what it was about.

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »
They could have been roped into holding anti-smoking or anti-littering signs or something. When I taught elementary the homeroom teachers would just grab whichever kid was in reach and stick them in front of the school. They were never happy about it.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
It's just how it's done here.

Kid runs in hall - wear 'I run in the halls' dunces hat.
Kid swears in school - wear 'I shouldn't say bad words' dunces hat.

At least corporal punishment is being phased-out and changed in law.

Offline Shinsegae

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
It's a common punishment when my middle schoolers are caught smoking.
내가제일잘나가

Offline RunningJas

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
It might have been for "school elections" as well...both of my elementary schools had their elections this week and had many kids with signs and stuff all over the school promoting certain students...
OR it could be a combination of that and punishment. Two years ago at my school some boys tore down one girls election posters she had put up, and they had to say on the morning announcements why they thought she would be a good candidate as punishment.

Offline allydelally

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
My students have a similar punishment in middle school, but the signs are usually school guidance such as 'eat all of your lunch!' and 'don't run in the halls!' Fairly inoffensive, but just a pain in the arse for the students, I quite like it. Ask your co-teacher if you're curious.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
I've seen this at my school.  Like the other said, the signs (in our school) are to remind other students to behave properly.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
Nothing new.  Shame has been a punishment and corrective behaviour for a long time.  Just more so without the stick.  Ever see a woman teacher start yelling at some bad students and they lower their head in shame.  I don't know what's being said, but the body language and the tone of voice with lots of questions being asked rhetorically physcologically humiliating the said offender.  Seen it for years and seems to make my occasionally yelled  "knock it off" comments seem tame and ineffective in comparison to two boys fighting in my class.   

Offline morgainenyl

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
It's a common punishment when my middle schoolers are caught smoking.

This. I asked a co-t once when I saw some of my students with signs - before school and during lunch. Apparently they'd been made to hold signs that said something to the effect of "The school building is public property, not private," which seems to me to be the least offensive thing about a freaking middle schooler smoking.