August 17, 2018, 05:14:30 AM

Author Topic: Is the 2nd year really this crappy or should you hold it out?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline thejesusman

• Super Waygook
Is the 2nd year really this crappy or should you hold it out?
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
Hey there everyone...... This is a shout out to all the people who renewed......

I'm just wondering do ye feel jaded with yer job and kind of jealous of your friends who have all left to go travelling and to do other things???

I think it will get easier and much better again but at the moment my heart is just not in the job......... I'm not bashing Korea or anything I'm just wondering is there anyone else out there that feels this way???? The thing is I kind of feel like I've finished everything here...... I've traveled everywhere I want to in Korea and learned a fairly reasonable amount of  the language!!!! Also all my fav students are leaving cause there military family's which is so annoying!!!!  :evil: Just wondering other peoples thoughts on this???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:36:22 AM by thejesusman »
Rocking out in the ROK!!! :D

Offline Jaunter

• Super Waygook
  • Once, twice, three times a NET
Re: Is the 2nd year really this crappy or should you hold it out?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
I very happily re-signed with my school with hopes that they'll keep me on for a third. But I will definitely feel finished with Korea after my third year. After that I'm thinking of teaching someone else, I never realized how much I'd like my lifestyle (and more importantly myself) here. I hope I can find another corner of the world that's been as easy-going and awesome as Korea as been for me.
_ゝ`) ...

Offline heatherhmtang

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
I'm with you! I'm halfway through my second year and I'm ready to go home. I've had enough. It's not that Korea is not great...it's just that I'm tired. A lot of my friends have left already and I miss my friends back home. I just wish that we can sign 1 1/2 year contract. That'll be ideal.

Offline AnnieMarie

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
i know how you feel. today i began my 5th contract at the same gepik country school i started at back in 2009. i love my school and i love my small town that is less than an hour from seoul, but it i do feel sad and a bit jealous everytime i see another friend off. they either get to travel or go home to their families and here i am. waygookin problems. HOWEVER, the best thing about it is you have friends all over the world and places to stay when you travel and old friend/tour guides welcoming you. also seeing my students grow up has been wonderful. treat yourself and take a nice vaca this winter.

Offline thejesusman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »
I agree with both posts....... I like my life here and stuff but as the other poster said I'm tired......... I'm jaded from being in another country and really need a few months break from it............ I know I should be glad the awesome relaxed lifestyle here but I really need something to motivate me again that I'm passionate about rather than repeating the materials I used in 1st year......... I think I'll be heading back to college or over to Canada when I'm done.............

Offline EraldoCoil

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Yeah it's starting to get to me, a lot. I just started my 2nd year.

My school has been great but I just really miss everything back home. Some friends here are leaving and I feel I gotta get back home and start working on my career.  My 6th graders have been great, so I plan to stay till they graduate and then I will give my 30 days notice.

Offline thejesusman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »
Eraldocoil don't you get caught out it's 60 days notice...........I think I'll do the same...... In 4 months I'm handing in my 60 day notice so it'll bring me right up to when my 6th graders graduate....... I could come back again I just need to a big break from Korea!!!! I'll really miss my life here but I think it's just something I need......

Offline TeacherJuleigh

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
I feel the same. I've been here 18 months and I'm ready to leave at the end of this contract. I was motivated and positive in the bginning but now I just feel like I'm not making much difference here, and my friends have all left. I like my lifestyle and ease of things here but I need more than that to keep me happy. I feel like everyday is the same at school and the job bores at times. My first year was great, everything was new and exciting but now the novelty has worn off. For these reasons I will not be renewing my contract, I plan take a month at the end of mycontract to travel to the Asian countries I haven't been to yet and then head home.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
I was motivated and positive in the bginning but now I just feel like I'm not making much difference here, and my friends have all left. I like my lifestyle and ease of things here but I need more than that to keep me happy. I feel like everyday is the same at school and the job bores at times. My first year was great, everything was new and exciting but now the novelty has worn off. For these reasons I will not be renewing my contract, I plan take a month at the end of mycontract to travel to the Asian countries I haven't been to yet and then head home.

I agree. In my case, I enjoyed my first few years teaching in Korea, but after that...the novelty and any enjoyment I used to have teaching in Korea just wore off. As such, I didn't renew my last contract, which ended recently. Glad to be finished of it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:40:07 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline miljennifer

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
Yeah, I just started my second contract and am feeling a bit over it all. I really like Korea, but I have a feeling this year is going to feel LONG, especially compared to last year. I'm so not looking forward to winter.

But, then I also look on the bright side of things: Chuseok vacation is 5 days this year (and coming up very soon!), there's two more holidays coming up in October, and it's only 4 months until the end of the semester.

I think feeling a bit let down in Year 2 is probably pretty normal... I'm definitely going to stick it out and try pursuing some part-time studies to start getting ready for a masters degree.

Offline adfletch83

• Super Waygook
  • Hi
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
I agree with the above post and I second the 18 month thing. I feel having spoken to a lot of people who left last year, 18 months would have been ideal.

I'm trying to remain positive, Chuseok is just around the corner and those days in October will be nice too. This coming year a few of the red days land on Friday/Mondays too so that's a bonus. I'm not really saying that I'm 'over this' but the novelty has worn off. I'm just going to be smarter with money (not be out EVERY weekend but pick and choose) save my money which is what I came here to do, enjoy travelling in and around the country.

I've just bought a scooter too, which will add a bit of spice until the snow comes.
Have a nice Daegu!!

Offline Menlyn

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
It really depends.

I've been here 6 years and my 2nd year was by far the best of the lot.

Offline weRborg

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Year 1 - Amazing experience. Best year of my life actually. New friends, new experiences. I miss it.

Year 2 - Kind of boring. Not many friends, lots of traveling though. I was making stupid amounts of money and was blowing it each month. Live and learn.

Year 3 - Lonely. All friends gone. I'm the only foreigner around. Was dating a lot. Still making good money. Thought my time in Korea was finished. Spent months traveling around Asia. Learned a lot about myself.

Year 4 - Stressful job. Lower pay. Terrible coworkers. Quit contract early just to get out. Lived on a beach in South Thailand for 3 months.

Year 5 - More lonely than before. I didn't even talk to another foreigner that entire year. Met Korean girl. Became the love of my life.

Year 6 - Worst job yet. Horrible coworkers. Awful students. Finally have an actionable plan to leave Korea for good. Taking Korean fiance with me. Plan to get married next year, start grad school shortly after.

----------------------

I originally planned to stay in Korea for just a year. By the time I leave, it will have been 7! Time flies I guess. I don't regret much. I do regret spending so much money when I had it and not learning how to save until later. I don't regret the traveling though. It's been a sort of therapy for me. Getting out of Korea for months at a time. Coming back, it feels comfortable. We get spoiled on things here without knowing it. Relatively clean roads and buildings. Decent food options. If you have doubts about being here, go to India for a few weeks. Korea will seem like heaven after that.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
I think the big problem with second year is that you're over the honeymoon period, but you're not quite settled in yet. It was definitely my most difficult year. It helped that I had a good circle of foreigner friends and also that I loved parts of Korean culture that had nothing to do with my job.

Second year also seems to be when the foreigners start dividing themselves up into smaller groups of friends, at least in my city. The ones who more or less like it here tend to avoid the waygooks who despise it here and vice versa. Obviously people need places to vent and life in Korea isn't sunshine and rainbows, but if you constantly hang out with people who complain about everything, that's going to affect how you see things.

For me personally, it was worth sticking around. Everything from third year onward has been pretty great. Going out and doing different things, with or without other foreigners, really helped. I really fell in love with rural Korea in a way I never expected to, so one of my big destressers second year was wandering around the countryside and learning enough Korean to have short conversations with the grandmothers. So was declaring my apartment a Korean-free zone on the weekends. So was finding places to volunteer. The point is to find something that works for you.

And if nothing works for you? Then don't force yourself to stay. If you do decide you want to go home and declare it quits after second year, that's not some kind of personal failing. There's nothing wrong with being tired of a country or a lifestyle.

Offline lee233

• Super Waygook
  • Some people's kids (sigh)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
I am just starting my second year and I must say it feels a little daunting thinking I have one more year of this. I am enjoying my time here, not teaching, but more socializing and exploring. I have lost a couple good friends due to their leaving, but fortunately so have many other people, so it has make it that much easier to make more close friends. As for living here a second year, I think I have been able to handle this so far for a few reasons.

#1 I have an end date, a plan on where to go after I leave, and some almost guaranteed jobs lined up. Basically no matter how bad things might get I have an end date in sight.
#2 The friends who have been here for a while. They are much more willing to have some chill weekends, and not rush around trying to see everything.
#3 The new friends who just arrived. I have some people to show some of my favorite places and have been given a second opportunity to experiences places.
#4 I keep busy during the week. Whether it is grabbing coffee with a co teacher, playing a game of star craft at a pc bang, meeting up with friends for dinner, or going for a walk in the country side I keep busy and try to break up the monotony of daily life.
#5 I have small goals. Instead of focusing on when I can leave next August, I am planning out shorter trips and my winter vacation. If all you do is constantly think about a goal that is super far away it will make the time draaaaaaaag by. If you try to ignore it and just focus on the closer events time will speed by much faster. I am not saying don't make far away plans, that would be silly, just try to distract yourself from those distant plans.

Those ideas being said I am not by any means claiming to be this zen master who is at peace with my life. I still get stressed, complain about my school, and have some crappy experiences, but I am trying to make the most of a situation that isn't always ideal. I hope these ideas I have shared could be helpful for you. Either way I wish you luck OP with your remaining time in Korea.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride