May 24, 2018, 04:04:41 AM

Author Topic: couple clothes  (Read 5800 times)

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
Re: couple clothes
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
I wonder if the couples who wear matching couple's clothing match their underwear?  I don't know if I could wear a matching man thong all day because my girlfriend wants us to match from head to toe.

Offline loswillyams

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
Don't care. What they eat doesn't make me s**t. My girlfriend and I don't wear it and we're not interested, but neither her or I think we're better than a couple who does.

Offline modman23

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 12:37:06 PM »
I totally plan on doing this to make all the bitter single people resent me even more than they already do...

Actually, me and my wife think its hilarious and that's why were going to do it, so I guess it would be done out of a sense of irony or whatever.

Offline wrinklebump

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Wow, I am not sure why so many western people complain so much about this topic. It literally does not harm you. Do you complain when people wear hanbok in public, too? I just don't get it.

I have one pair of couple shoes and three matching couple shirts with my gf. We don't always wear it at the same time. They are normal clothes. They aren't flashy, except the shoes, but the shoes are so damn comfortable anyways.

We never force each other to wear it or act upset when one doesn't. We wear the shirts and the shoes to remind us of each other. When I see a certain couple shirt, I am remembered of my time with my gf.

I don't understand why people need to judge this behavior. It isn't immoral, indecent, illegal, or hell, even illogical. There is no problem with couple clothes, but I prefer practical couple clothes, you know, clothes you both would actually wear without the other. But that is my opinion, but I don't judge people who do choose to wear flashy couple clothes. It isn't childish to wear them. It is childish to judge others about wearing it. Grow up folks.

This seems to be a pretty sensitive topic
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

Offline jaesuuung

• Newgookin
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
In high school, I was friends with a couple who were always overboard with pda and love-talking, and they were one of the most unstable couples I've ever known.

What really bugs me is couples who dress head-to-toe in matching outfits. Literally everything, like hats, shirts, pants, shoes, backpacks, accessories, etc.

Guess in general I just get annoyed by people seeking attention. In the US, no guy would submit to couple clothes without being considered completely PW'ed. What do you think?

Well this isn't the US.  You've come to another country so have an open mind to different things and stop being so judgmental.

Offline a87

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »
In high school, I was friends with a couple who were always overboard with pda and love-talking, and they were one of the most unstable couples I've ever known.

What really bugs me is couples who dress head-to-toe in matching outfits. Literally everything, like hats, shirts, pants, shoes, backpacks, accessories, etc.

Guess in general I just get annoyed by people seeking attention. In the US, no guy would submit to couple clothes without being considered completely PW'ed. What do you think?

Well this isn't the US.  You've come to another country so have an open mind to different things and stop being so judgmental.

Wow, I'm flattered that you registered an account solely for the purpose of saying that to me. Great first post.

Aaanyways, if you had read my post fully (before you suddenly had the urge make an account) you would have seen that I have in fact possessed and worn couples clothing before, years ago. With the passage of time has come perspective on this topic, and so, while in the end I do not like couples clothing now, I indeed had had an open mind to it, as I do with many things here.

Being a foreigner here doesn't mean you have to like everything. You're allowed to think critically and form opinions of your very own. Do you think foreigners in the US love everything about America? Hell no. And that's totally fine. Korea is wonderful in many ways, but it's possible to have legitimate criticisms, and it's your right, too.

Besides, I drew a parallel between Americans and Koreans exhibiting the same behavior, just being manifested differently.

Korea thanks you for defending its honor.

Anyways congrats on completing your first week in Korea.
Take that apologists!

Offline jaesuuung

• Newgookin
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
Lol ok that was very passive aggressive of you, but I wasn't trying to start an argument  :azn:.

I did read all of your post and the others in the thread beforehand.  Koreans don't display their affection as openly (nor is it really as accepted) as say in the US, so I definitely think that attributed towards this growing of couples wearing the same outfits.  However, as a Korean-American I understand this to be more of a cutesy thing that's developed in their culture rather than its showiness that might be more accustomed to in the US.

What I guess I should have worded better earlier was that as a foreigner in a new country, people should be more open minded.  Try to take a step back and not let your own culture so heavily influence your judgments.  You're in a new country after all! Things will not always be the same, but there's probably a good reason or story behind it!  The posts like "couples clothing is so dumb" just shows their myopic view on a new culture. I do agree with you that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  However, I think many people here do not really understand this culture as well as they think they do and are quick to jump the gun and be very critical of things that might be more easily understood if by having a more open mind.

And btw, I didn't create this account to just post in this lol.  It just caught my eye while I was browsing.  There's a lot of handy information on this site. 

And congratulations to you as well, if it is your first week.  If not, best of luck in Korea.  Cheers!

Wow, I'm flattered that you registered an account solely for the purpose of saying that to me. Great first post.

Aaanyways, if you had read my post fully (before you suddenly had the urge make an account) you would have seen that I have in fact possessed and worn couples clothing before, years ago. With the passage of time has come perspective on this topic, and so, while in the end I do not like couples clothing now, I indeed had had an open mind to it, as I do with many things here.

Being a foreigner here doesn't mean you have to like everything. You're allowed to think critically and form opinions of your very own. Do you think foreigners in the US love everything about America? Hell no. And that's totally fine. Korea is wonderful in many ways, but it's possible to have legitimate criticisms, and it's your right, too.

Besides, I drew a parallel between Americans and Koreans exhibiting the same behavior, just being manifested differently.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:23:51 PM by jaesuuung »

Offline Row

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:33 AM »
with young couples it's kind of silly, and couple shoes are downright stupid

on the other hand, families wearing the same stuff can't be hated on, that is just too adorable

Offline Peekay1982

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
How about family matching clothes? The father in law got some polos he thought were so spiffy that he bought full matching sets--grey, white, and navy-- for both myself and his son.

I don't know which would be worse: wearing a polo or hanging out with them whist all wearing the same thing.

Oh yeah, I've seen families in Korea wearing matching clothes. One time, a few years ago, I was riding the subway and saw a whole family (father, mother, and their young children) all wearing matching polos in the same color. Wow.

When I have kids I can 100% guarantee you that at some point (before they're old enough to protest) myself and them will be dressed identically. As a kid my mum always used to dress me and my little brother in the same clothes and I really loved it, really made me feel like we were a family. I rebelled about age 8 and refused to do it any longer but my kids will definitely be put through the same thing.

What always makes me laugh about this topic is that guys claiming it's the worst thing since the My Lai massacre are invariably dressed in ratty sweatshirts, foetid flip-flops and a greasy baseball cap - have to chuckle at the people loudly proclaiming their fashion independence who think continually wearing a stained Ohio State (is that a team?) hoodie marks them out as some kind of alternative style guru. We're all peons of the global capitalist machine with basically zero self-determination in the wider scheme of things; don't kid yourselves.

I don't deny that almost all of the Korean couples doing it are lame automatons wishing to show off their empty relationship to people who don't know them, but why would you care? What I think looks good is when the man is wearing a shirt (an actual shirt, not a t-shirt - I hate how US citizens call t-shirts "shirts") and his girlfriend is wearing a dress in the same pattern. An ex and I wore a couple outfit with pride - she had hot pants and I had tailored shorts in the same colour and she wore a tight girl's t-shirt and I wore a man's t-shirt in the same design. WE LOOKED AMAZING.

Offline a87

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Lol ok that was very passive aggressive of you, but I wasn't trying to start an argument  :azn:.

I did read all of your post and the others in the thread beforehand.  Koreans don't display their affection as openly (nor is it really as accepted) as say in the US, so I definitely think that attributed towards this growing of couples wearing the same outfits.  However, as a Korean-American I understand this to be more of a cutesy thing that's developed in their culture rather than its showiness that might be more accustomed to in the US.

What I guess I should have worded better earlier was that as a foreigner in a new country, people should be more open minded.  Try to take a step back and not let your own culture so heavily influence your judgments.  You're in a new country after all! Things will not always be the same, but there's probably a good reason or story behind it!  The posts like "couples clothing is so dumb" just shows their myopic view on a new culture. I do agree with you that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  However, I think many people here do not really understand this culture as well as they think they do and are quick to jump the gun and be very critical of things that might be more easily understood if by having a more open mind.

And btw, I didn't create this account to just post in this lol.  It just caught my eye while I was browsing.  There's a lot of handy information on this site. 

And congratulations to you as well, if it is your first week.  If not, best of luck in Korea.  Cheers!

Not sure how it was passive aggressive, more like sarcastic, but it's not important. Sorry if I was a bit harsh dude. I just assumed that you were some brand new teacher here still in the honeymoon phase where everything is rainbows and unicorns lol. Guess I didn't appreciate being labeled narrow-minded from just one opinion, but I see your point.

I agree, it's important to be open-minded when in a different country, and just in general. That's why I'm here, and why I've been learning Korean for the better part of ten years. One rule I have here is to always use Korean with Koreans (like coworkers, or out in public). I hate foreigners who come here thinking they don't need to even attempt the language, and just force others to use English with them. Really rude.

I do think though, that if one is open-minded regarding an issue (like couple clothing) and try to be objective before forming a solid opinion, that it's possible to make a legitimate criticism while still being respectful of the culture.

Anyways hope I didn't rub you the wrong way too much lol. Take care
Take that apologists!

Offline wrinklebump

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »
How about family matching clothes? The father in law got some polos he thought were so spiffy that he bought full matching sets--grey, white, and navy-- for both myself and his son.

I don't know which would be worse: wearing a polo or hanging out with them whist all wearing the same thing.

Oh yeah, I've seen families in Korea wearing matching clothes. One time, a few years ago, I was riding the subway and saw a whole family (father, mother, and their young children) all wearing matching polos in the same color. Wow.

When I have kids I can 100% guarantee you that at some point (before they're old enough to protest) myself and them will be dressed identically. As a kid my mum always used to dress me and my little brother in the same clothes and I really loved it, really made me feel like we were a family. I rebelled about age 8 and refused to do it any longer but my kids will definitely be put through the same thing.

What always makes me laugh about this topic is that guys claiming it's the worst thing since the My Lai massacre are invariably dressed in ratty sweatshirts, foetid flip-flops and a greasy baseball cap - have to chuckle at the people loudly proclaiming their fashion independence who think continually wearing a stained Ohio State (is that a team?) hoodie marks them out as some kind of alternative style guru. We're all peons of the global capitalist machine with basically zero self-determination in the wider scheme of things; don't kid yourselves.

I don't deny that almost all of the Korean couples doing it are lame automatons wishing to show off their empty relationship to people who don't know them, but why would you care? What I think looks good is when the man is wearing a shirt (an actual shirt, not a t-shirt - I hate how US citizens call t-shirts "shirts") and his girlfriend is wearing a dress in the same pattern. An ex and I wore a couple outfit with pride - she had hot pants and I had tailored shorts in the same colour and she wore a tight girl's t-shirt and I wore a man's t-shirt in the same design. WE LOOKED AMAZING.

I puked a little
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

Offline Peekay1982

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 03:33:47 AM »

I puked a little

Yack it up, chuckles. Does a body good.

Offline new-waygook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one laughing over this thread?  You guys are honestly fighting over this?  Disliking couples clothing = close minded and liking couples clothes = empty relationship doomed to fail? 

I think many people (like myself) see couples clothes in a negative light because it's rather childish.  Much like the use of aegyo to get what you want or 'adults' throwing temper tantrums in public over getting a stain on your shirt.  It is behavior that many of us have only seen in children until we moved to this country.  It may be a cultural norm in Korea but we aren't Korean so it sticks out to us as foreigners. 

Offline wrinklebump

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »
A cultural norm? This ain't one of them mask dances they do out in the sticks every once in a while. It was stupid when whatever bored suburbanite came up with it back in the U.S. or possibly somewhere in Europe, it's stupid here. People are interpreting criticism of this as some kind of attack on Korea but it's just an attack on the practice itself, because it wasn't and isn't the sole cultural property of any particular location.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one laughing over this thread?

No. I just stopped to look at this thread, skimmed it, and now I'm sitting with my head tilted slightly sideward and wrinkling my eyebrows.

Who cares. Couples can do whatever they want if they're happy to be together. I'm not keen on couples clothing, but I do get a slight nice feeling when my girlfriend puts on one of my old t-shirts. Every relationship takes its own shape.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018