August 21, 2014, 09:22:51 AM

Author Topic: Snowpiercer - question about subtitles in the theatre  (Read 7184 times)

Offline yitzike

• Veteran
Snowpiercer - question about subtitles in the theatre
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
I'm going to see Snowpiercer this weekend, which is a joint Hollywood/Korea movie with a Korean director and a few well known Korean actors like Song Kang Ho (The Host 괴물 among others) and Ko Ah-Sung.

I'm under the impression that the film is in English, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any scenes that are shot only in Korean? The reason I ask is, my Korean is pretty good, but I might not be able to understand tehcnical stuff if, say, there is a scene that is only in Korean and there aren't any English subtitles.

I'm seeing it at a CGV in Geoje, and when I've seen English movies before at CGV, if there's a third language like Russian or something, then they usually feature both English and Korean subs.

Anyway, if you've ever seen an English movie before where there was Korean dialogue, in Korea, do you remember if they translated it in the theatre?

Thanks! I know it's a really nitpicky type of question, but I figured if waygook can't answer it, no one can haha

Offline Shaesnotawhore

• Waygookin
Re: Snowpiercer - question about subtitles in the theatre
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
I usually download a script of the movie before hand and translate any scenes that might not be in english. Then there are no surprises at the theater! It might spoil it a bit, but at least you won't be throwing your money down the drain. Plus, it will help your Korean! I don't get why most foreigners here are too lazy to give an honest attempt at learning Korean.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
They don't usually translate Korean into English, from what I remember. I just looked at the CGV app and they have a session with English subtitles. Maybe this means there are parts of the movie that need it.

As it is, I will be going to see it tomorrow night, so unless someone sees it before then and replies, I let you know after I see it tomorrow
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »
I did read this on another blog

it’s mostly in english (if you see it in korea, there are korean subs and the korean parts are translated into english) so it’s quite comfortable to see it even in mixed company~

So not sure why there is a session with English subtitles?? Maybe for hearing impaired?
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline thunderlips

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
Just saw it last night. It is an American movie, there were only a few times that everything didnt get translated literally. Good movie too.

WHen you see it you will understand why there are some parts with english subtitles.

Offline yitzike

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I talked to a friend who has seen it and confirmed that there are English subs during the Korean parts.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
looks like the rest of the world will get an edited/bastardised version. i've not seen the film yet, but this discussion has piqued my interest! :)

Having previously acquired the distribution rights to Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer, The Weinstein Company is reportedly cutting out as much as 20 minutes from the film for its release in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, according to IF.com.au. Film festival programmer Tony Rayns told the site that Weinstein is making the cuts so the film can be more accessible to American audiences. Director Bong  Joon-ho has said the cuts would "eliminate much of the character detail, which would make the film seem more like an action movie." It is also reported that Weinstein is adding opening and closing voice overs to the film.

The film, based on the French graphic novel "Le Transperceneige," is set in a future where, after a failed experiment to stop global warming, an Ice Age kills off all life on the planet except for the inhabitants of the Snow Piercer, a train that travels around the globe and is powered by a sacred perpetual-motion engine. A class system evolves on the train but a revolution brews.

Chris Evans, Song Kangho, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer, Ewen Brewmner, Alison Pill, John Hurt and Ed Harris star in the thriller. A North American release date has yet to be set.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107432
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline HanjaNamja262

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
They really don't need to cut it to make it more accessible.  98% of the movie is in English, and the other parts are mostly translated well enough to understand. 

It's quite an interesting film...I definitely recommend it.

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
I thought it was funny how they didn't have subtitles when the Korean actor was swearing. lol
But if you live in Korea, you will understand what he is saying.
My Korean is horrible and I had no problem watching the movie.
It is a Hollywood movie (basically).

Offline eggieguffer

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
Saw it last week. I didn't understand why it was necessary to have any Korean in the film at all. It didn't really add anything. Just because the director isn't from an English speaking country does he have to include a foreign actor and have him speak in a foreign language? When Alejandro Amenábar directed 'The Others' did he insist that one of the ghosts had to be Spanish and speak Spanish with subtitles throughout the movie?

The film itself was OK. As superstar said, a bog standard Hollywood movie.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
Saw it last week. I didn't understand why it was necessary to have any Korean in the film at all. It didn't really add anything. Just because the director isn't from an English speaking country does he have to include a foreign actor and have him speak in a foreign language? When Alejandro Amenábar directed 'The Others' did he insist that one of the ghosts had to be Spanish and speak Spanish with subtitles throughout the movie?

The film itself was OK. As superstar said, a bog standard Hollywood movie.

I know what you mean. I mean why put any people who speak a foreign language in any Hollywood movies at all? Pfft...silly people wanting a little diversity.

Offline eggieguffer

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »
Like I said it was a bog standard Hollywood action film not some art house offering. If you saw it in most of Europe the whole thing'd be dubbed into their own language anyway. People generally don't like to be bothered reading subtitles when they're looking at things blowing up and people shooting each other. Unless they have to. Let's face it most of the people who watched it outside Korea probably assumed they were Chinese anyway.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:08:29 PM by eggieguffer »

Recent Lesson Plans

Student Self-Evaluation by toddsqui
[Today at 12:28:28 AM]

The all new 8-Bit Pop Game! by Epistemology
[Yesterday at 06:52:47 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment