June 20, 2018, 09:26:31 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 161428 times)

Offline taingray

• Veteran
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:13 PM »
Question about ordering tax transcripts: I know you have to go on the IRS website to order them. On my 1040, my address is my Korean one, not my US address. Did any of you successfully order your transcripts on the website by putting in your Korean address on the request form thing (assuming you also listed that address on the 1040, obviously)? I'm a little paranoid the IRS will somehow mess up the address when mailing them to Korea and I won't get them...

You don't even need the tax transcripts. A copy of the 1040 is sufficient.

I read in the instructions that if you give them a copy of the 1040 you also have to submit W-2s. I don't have official W-2s, just pay slips from my job in Korea... Did this work for you (assuming you already submitted it)? If so, that would be awesome since it would save me a lot of time/hassle with the transcripts!

Yes this worked, I already finished with the whole process 2 months ago. I first emailed someone from the consulate asking if a copy is okay and they said yes. I took only the copy of the 1040 for the interview and it was fine.

Great, thanks! I will do that, too.

All these other stupid little issues keep coming up. Because there is such a long waiting time for interviews, my husband couldn't schedule his until March 21. My contract ends February 29, so I guess I will have to say I'm unemployed and enter my current income as $0, right? Or if I finish and print the I-864 before the end of February, could I still list my current income as it is now? I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid they'll reject us because I will officially be unemployed by the time of his interview :/ I'm considering having my mom be a joint sponsor, but she is very unreliable.

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »

All these other stupid little issues keep coming up. Because there is such a long waiting time for interviews, my husband couldn't schedule his until March 21. My contract ends February 29, so I guess I will have to say I'm unemployed and enter my current income as $0, right? Or if I finish and print the I-864 before the end of February, could I still list my current income as it is now? I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid they'll reject us because I will officially be unemployed by the time of his interview :/ I'm considering having my mom be a joint sponsor, but she is very unreliable.

I don't think you should worry, they base your income requirements on the tax transcripts of the  last two years and if it is over the poverty line (which obviously in your case it is if you worked). They don't really care or ask about your current employment or contract end date. They only really care about what the 1040 says, like I said, they base income requirements on that.

Also someone previously said they called the consulate to see if they can change the interview date to an earlier date and it worked. Maybe you can try that too if you still want an earlier date. 

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »

I don't think you should worry, they base your income requirements on the tax transcripts of the  last two years and if it is over the poverty line (which obviously in your case it is if you worked). They don't really care or ask about your current employment or contract end date. They only really care about what the 1040 says, like I said, they base income requirements on that.

Also someone previously said they called the consulate to see if they can change the interview date to an earlier date and it worked. Maybe you can try that too if you still want an earlier date.

Yeah... I'm just really worried about how bad it's going to look on the I-864 where I would have to list my current income as $0  :sad: It says my current income should be above the poverty line by 125%, not just my income from last year, so I don't know if they will accept it even if I made enough last year.

My husband is going to call tomorrow to see if there's anyway they can move the appointment up... So many [potential] problems would be solved if we could somehow do it before my contract ends!

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #483 on: February 17, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
Sorry guys, I have another stupid question.

I'm planning on giving a copy of my 1040 to the embassy along with the I-864. I filed my 2015 taxes with Turbotax to get it processed sooner, so on the pdf version of my 1040 that Turbotax generates, the part where my signature should go is blank since it was an electronic signature.

My question, then, is should I actually sign my name and write the date I filed on the 1040 after I print it out, or should I just leave the signature blank? There is also a paper included that says my taxes were accepted by the IRS, so maybe the officer at the consulate will get that and not care about the signature and I'm just overthinking this, but I want to make sure I do everything right.

Thanks in advance!

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »
Sorry guys, I have another stupid question.

I'm planning on giving a copy of my 1040 to the embassy along with the I-864. I filed my 2015 taxes with Turbotax to get it processed sooner, so on the pdf version of my 1040 that Turbotax generates, the part where my signature should go is blank since it was an electronic signature.

My question, then, is should I actually sign my name and write the date I filed on the 1040 after I print it out, or should I just leave the signature blank? There is also a paper included that says my taxes were accepted by the IRS, so maybe the officer at the consulate will get that and not care about the signature and I'm just overthinking this, but I want to make sure I do everything right.

Thanks in advance!

You can leave the signature blank, that's what we did since it was filed online. It was no problem.

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #485 on: February 20, 2016, 10:57:32 AM »
Important and Useful Tips Compilation

Below I am going to outline some tips and answers to common questions I have had/ others have had during this process. The answers are based on my own personal experiences and other posters I have read (from this thread and others) who have also successfully gone through the process and received a visa. No opinions or conjectures, only facts.

Filing 1-130

Appointment
make it at https://infopass.uscis.gov/

What you need to take to the embassy
I-130

Appointment notice printed

G-325A (two- one for the immigrant and one for the petitioner)

Two passport type photos (5cm x 5cm)

Marriage Certificate - 혼인관계증명서 with translation

Family Registry--가족관계 증명서  with translation

Immigrantsí birth certificate 기본 증명서  with translation

Passport Copies- both people

Petitionerís ARC card

Evidence of Name change and translation if applicable

$420 (462,000 won)

Translations
You do not need a certified or notarized translation. You/your spouse/any capable person can translate it. Attach to it  a short statement letter that states that the person who  translated is fluent and the translation is correct. Sign and dated.

How long it takes to receive Packet 3 after filing the 1-130
On average it seems to take about 4 weeks, but I have read as early as 2-3 weeks all the way to 7 weeks.  It depends on how busy they are, holidays etc.

Packet 3
Here is Packet 3 which you receive by email:
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/korea/1348142/packets/IV.pdf

You can probably do/ collect all the stuff before you even receive it just to get a head start and be done with everything quicker. Just make sure you plan out when to do the medical because it is only valid for 6 months.

Filing i-864

Taxes
 You need copies of your 1040 taxes for the past 3 years. You do not *need* tax transcripts, copies of 1040 are fine.

Proof of Domicile

You need proof of domicile that shows you are intending to move back to the US.

Example of some valid proof that people have used include:

1. Bank Statement from a US Bank that is still active
2. Proof of making bank transfers to US bank from Korean bank account
3. Email correspondence to employers that show you are looking for a job.
4. Emails, acceptance letters etc if you are entering into some kind of school
5. Letter from family or whoever you are staying with saying you are welcome to stay with them in the U.S until you get settles
6. Korean work contract showing the end date.
7. Different pieces of mail with U.S address on it that shows you have maintained a permanent mailing address
8. Estimated quotes or copy of receipts of shipping your stuff to the U.S
9. One way plane ticket to U.S
10. Copy of drivers license and state I.D
11. Copy of voter registration card
12. Proof of life insurance, health insurance in the U.S etc.
13. Copy of title to your car in the U.S
14. Korean apartment lease ending.

These are the things people have used successfully. You obviously don't need all of them, just the ones that apply or others you can think of.

Medical
I did not have a shot record and I got 2 shots tetanus and MMR. You will also get the flu shot if you did not get that already.

Police Check
You need a police check from Korea and also any other country you have lived in for over 12 months since the age of 16. Twelve months not 6 months.

Korean Police Check: Here is the application http://photos.state.gov/libraries/korea/1348142/packets/PC.pdf

Make sure you check both boxes.

If you don't have it right they just make you go to the police station nearby the embassy to get the right one.

Visa Validity
The visa is valid 6 months from your medical check. So if you did your medical on November 11, you must leave the country and enter the U.S by May 11.

Interview Scheduling
To schedule your interview go to: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Korea

After the Interview
You receive your passport back quickly, in my case 2 days. The brown package you receive has an odd cut on the corner, this is normal.

To contact the Embassy with questions use these emails:
CIS.Seoul@uscis.dhs.gov.
support-korea@ustraveldocs.com

Hope this helps and relieves some worries! I will add more info to this if needed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:59:16 AM by MaxCat »

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #486 on: February 22, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
The previous post from MaxCat is a great summary - thanks for that!

My husband had his final Interview today and I have received  a lot of help from this site, so I wanted to include our experience, too.

We arrived at the Embassy at 7:15 a.m. and were first in line. By 7:25 a.m. there were 7 or 8 people. Right at 7:30 a.m. they took our passports and the appt. confirmation sheet and check for my husband's name on a list. We went through security and surrendered our phone. We were told to go to the 2nd floor to check-in and then proceed to the 3rd floor. Once on the 3rd floor we were told to take a number and wait. (We went there with our 2 children and the security personnel was very kind and took a moment to set up a little children's table and turn on a small TV with cartoons on it.)

Right at 8:00 a.m. we were called to the window and asked to submit our forms. While we were standing there the forms were reviews. She asked us a couple questions about how we were covering the financial side (since I'm a housewife) and made a note of my letter about no W-2s and checked our assets. She said everything was in order and then asked us to have a seat while our forms were reviewed.  We submitted:
-All the documents listed in packet 3
- A letter explaining that I had no income for the last 3 years (being a housewife)
- a copy of my American bank account statement and American credit card statement
- a copy of an email exchange I had with a realtor
- a letter from my parents saying we could stay with them
- a copy of my husband's yearly pay summary for the past 3 years
- copies from our bank of proof of our assets

At 8:45 a.m. my husband's name was called and his fingerprints were taken. He was also given a paper to read (mostly about spousal abuse) and told to go to the 2nd floor to pay the interview fee and come back and hand in the receipt. Asked to wait some more.

At 9:00 a.m. my husband called to another window and asked if he wanted to have the interview in Korean or English (though I think it depends on the interviewer - the person next to us was not given this option) a few questions, "When did you meet your wife?" "How did you meet." "What do you plan on doing for a job in the U.S.?" He also asked who the sponsor was [me] and asked me if I worked or planned to work and if our children were U.S. citizens. He asked when we intended to go to the U.S. and reminded us we had 6 months from the time of the medical check. Then, after a pause, "You've been approved. You'll receive your passport by mail in about a week. Do you have any questions?" As a previous poster mentioned, a

And that was it~ We left at 9:15 a.m.

:azn:

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
Just an update.  My wife was granted her visa back in Jan.  We submitted my tax forms for last 2 years, Pension balance, bank balances, and US bank balance showing our address and place of residence.  Current income on the I-864 is what we project to earn this yr.  Only a few questions were asked as in the previous post and visa was approved.  We flew to Detroit and found it very easy to go through immigration.  We were the only ones with a packet.  They took us to an office and 15 minutes later they gave her passport back with her temporary residence stamp.  We didn't have to do any paperwork for her social security card. It arrived by mail a week later.  Now just waiting for her Green Card to arrive.  We came back to Korea for 8 months and then she will return to the US. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
We had our interview today and we passed! I'm so relieved that it's over. Thanks waygook, and especially MaxCat, for the helpful posts!!

I'm not really adding anything new to all the other excellent info in this thread, but I'll share our experience anyway.

We got to the embassy at about 7:32 and even though we were 8th in line, we were the second ones interviewed (a lot of people seemed to be going out to get missing documents). We submitted everything on the Packet 3 checklist, as well as the following:

[For the domicile requirement]
-my public voting record showing I have voted in recent elections in my state
-a copy of my driver's license
-Certificate of Vehicle Registration for my state showing that my car's registration is current
-bank and credit card statements showing my permanent address at home
-a letter my mom wrote, signed, scanned, and emailed to me saying we will stay at her house when we first go back
-scanned copies of shipping receipts for boxes of stuff I recently mailed back home from Korea
-a copy of my ARC to show it expires in March (this is the only thing from all this that they did not take)

For my taxes, I just submitted the TurboTax generated 1040 and 2555 forms for 2015, along with a sheet that certifies that the IRS accepted my return. This worked, even though the IRS officially has not finished processing my taxes despite the fact that I e-filed over a month ago. They did not ask for any other income information.

The first time we were called up, the lady asked me if I was still working and I said yes, but that my contract in Korea finishes at the end of the month. I had been very worried this would be a problem but she didn't seem to care. She also told my husband to go down to the second floor to get a sticker on his passport. After that he went up again for fingerprinting and downstairs to pay.

The guy who interviewed us was very nice. He asked us how we met, when we were married, what my job was and what I plan to do when we go to the US (I said we planned to stay with my mom and look for jobs in the area). He also asked my husband if he had ever been arrested in Korea or when he was previously in the US, and what he had been doing in Korea for the past few years (he answered that he was working and studying).

We were finished with everything at about 9:40, so just a little over two hours. Now we wait for his passport back in the mail!

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #489 on: February 25, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »
Just wanted to update that we had our interview Monday (as mentioned above) and on Wednesday afternoon we got my husband's passport with Immigrant Visa and the packet to take with us~ Much faster than I thought!

Offline Tom34150070

• Newgookin
I-864 Clarification (overthinking everything)
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Hey everyone,
My wife and I received packet 3 and are in the process of getting everything together.  We aren't able to log in to the DS-260 but we have been told by the consulate site that it is a system error and to just keep moving forward. 
The next step in this never ending trek is the I-864.  I have a pretty standard situation: I've been here a while.  I filed taxes but all of my income has been made here in Korea.  I left my job about a month ago so my income is finished. 
My parents are my cosponsors (father- I-864, mother- I864A).  My wife and I will be living with them until we can afford to live on our own or we start sleeping in a tent in the woods... whichever.

QUESTIONS:
1. Would I enter "My current annual income" as $0.00?  I assume yes.
2. This is what is currently throwing me off. The next section is about "Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size."  My inclination is to just mark this all as zero.  However, since we will be moving in with my parents and I am proving domicile at my parents' house, am I supposed to list their incomes here?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Moe Hay

• Veteran
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »
Hello, everyone.

This is a fantastically useful thread. Thanks for all of the information.

Quick question:

I'm an American citizen. My spouse, a native Korean, had spent two years living and studying in Shanghai, China once upon a time in her early adulthood (five or six years ago). Since we'll be applying for her U.S. green card at some point in the future, she'll most likely need a background check from the Shanghai authorities stating she didn't run afoul of the law, etc.

From the little I've read online so far, it seems that non-Chinese citizens who are attempting to obtain a background check from Chinese authorities have basically two options: go to China and get the check from the Exit and Entry office in the relevant city, or send their passports and information to someone in China who acts as their go-between and applies for the check for them. There does not seem to be any application option online or through the mail, etc.

My question is for those who might have obtained one of these Chinese background checks for reasons related to marriage or work. What did you have to do to get your background check, first of all. Secondly, are you aware of any option to get the background check without having to travel to China or use an intermediary? Again, to reiterate, the city my wife stayed in was Shanghai.

Thanks for any help, and good luck with all of your visa/green card applications.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #492 on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »

Below I am going to outline some tips and answers to common questions I have had/ others have had during this process. The answers are based on my own personal experiences and other posters I have read (from this thread and others) who have also successfully gone through the process and received a visa. No opinions or conjectures, only facts.

Filing 1-130

Appointment

I-130

Petitionerís ARC card

$420 (462,000 won)

Translations
You do not need a certified or notarized translation. You/your spouse/any capable person can translate it. Attach to it  a short statement letter that states that the person who  translated is fluent and the translation is correct. Sign and dated.

On average it seems to take about 4 weeks, but I have read as early as 2-3 weeks all the way to 7 weeks.  It depends on how busy they are, holidays etc.

Packet 3

You can probably do/ collect all the stuff before you even receive it just to get a head start and be done with everything quicker. Just make sure you plan out when to do the medical because it is only valid for 6 months.

Filing i-864

Taxes
 You need copies of your 1040 taxes for the past 3 years. You do not *need* tax transcripts, copies of 1040 are fine.

Proof of Domicile

5. Letter from family or whoever you are staying with saying you are welcome to stay with them in the U.S until you get settles
7. Different pieces of mail with U.S address on it that shows you have maintained a permanent mailing address

These are the things people have used successfully. You obviously don't need all of them, just the ones that apply or others you can think of.

Medical
I did not have a shot record and I got 2 shots tetanus and MMR. You will also get the flu shot if you did not get that already.

Police Check
You need a police check from Korea and also any other country you have lived in for over 12 months since the age of 16. Twelve months not 6 months.

Korean Police Check: Here is the application http://photos.state.gov/libraries/korea/1348142/packets/PC.pdf

If you don't have it right they just make you go to the police station nearby the embassy to get the right one.

Visa Validity
The visa is valid 6 months from your medical check. So if you did your medical on November 11, you must leave the country and enter the U.S by May 11.

Interview Scheduling
To schedule your interview go to: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Korea

After the Interview
You receive your passport back quickly, in my case 2 days. The brown package you receive has an odd cut on the corner, this is normal.

CIS.Seoul@uscis.dhs.gov.

Hope this helps and relieves some worries! I will add more info to this if needed

Question about the G-325 docs. In the upper right hand corner it says File Number: A______ . What do you put here? Do you receive a file number when you make an appointment to submit your I-130? Does anyone know about this?

Also. Are you signing both the the G-325 and G-325A because you are the applicant/petitioner? Or does your spouse sign his/her G-325A?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:59:14 AM by toddingumi »

Offline GenuineMoniker

• Newgookin
« Reply #493 on: October 13, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am also joining this process and am very excited to begin. Most of my "what to bring to the appointment" questions are sorted, so I will only ask one extra question about that topic in addition to I-130 Form-specific questions:

-I see above that the"immigrant's birth certificate" is necessary. My wife is from Vietnam, so we would have to get a copy--or the original?--of the certificate?

Form-specific Questions:
1) In Sections B. and C. 2., are the addresses our current ones in South Korea? (We live together).
2) In Section C. 10., does my spouse's ARC Card number or Passport number qualify as an Alien Registration Number?
3) In Section C. 17., do I simply enter in my spouse's information recorded on her Passport?
4) Under the section where it asks for my citizenship: I was naturalized at 12, so my parents have the original document. When I fill in the section about my US citizenship, do I simply enter the number on my naturalization document?

Lastly, if anyone could direct me toward a thread regarding "Birth Abroad", I'd greatly appreciate it. Our son will be born in December and I'd like to get his passport, social, and citizenship recorded asap before my family and I return to the states (mid-July). I heard the process for my baby to get his citizen could take 6 months total; if anyone could dispel that rumor I'd greatly appreciate that too.

Have a great day everyone.

Offline bewolff

• Newgookin
« Reply #494 on: October 21, 2016, 06:28:29 AM »
Intended Domicile Information
I can show my expiring contract.
I can show an email exchange about enrolling my son in school.
I could probably get a a real estate agent to email me about apartment listings.
I can show a letter from a friend offering a place to stay until we get settled.

I do not have a current US bank account, CC, Vehicle Registration and I think by driver license may be expired.

Question 1:  Will the documents I have likely be enough?
Question 2:  Any ideas for other documents?
Question 3:  Can I open a US bank account from here in Korea? ...by going into KB or online?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:42:58 AM by bewolff »

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »

Filing 1-130

Appointment

I-130

Petitionerís ARC card

$420 (462,000 won)

Translations

Packet 3

Filing i-864

Taxes

Proof of Domicile

Medical

Police Check

Visa Validity

Interview Scheduling

After the Interview

CIS.Seoul@uscis.dhs.gov.

Question about the G-325 docs. In the upper right hand corner it says File Number: A______ . What do you put here? Do you receive a file number when you make an appointment to submit your I-130? Does anyone know about this?

Also. Are you signing both the the G-325 and G-325A because you are the applicant/petitioner? Or does your spouse sign his/her G-325A?
Thanks

Can anybody answer this?

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »
For the file number I left it blank.

G-325A: whoever the form is being filled out for needs to sign. So petitioner and applicant need to sign their own forms. I had this exact same question.

USCIS is awesome when it comes back to responding to questions. Longest I have waited is a couple hours.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
The American and Canada immigration processes are garbage, most annoying stuff in the world. But Korea immigration is the greatest, all countries should use it as a model.

We didn't even fill in all the form, told the Korean lady it was confusing. She was like "hey don't worry, I'll fill it in for you!". Thanks, government workers actually doing their job, love it! The wife told her she was worried about some details "hey don't worry, he's going to get in no matter what!". Pay a few bucks, no expensive process, no hassle, and angry government fatty workers.

Sure enough, one week later F6 arrives in the mail. The actual card is extremely attractive, not just my photo, the design too.

Offline DIE5EL

• Waygookin
« Reply #498 on: January 20, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
My wife and I are planning to go back to the states either in like 6 months or maybe wait a full year haven't decided yet.
Should I just go ahead with the i130 and appointment now or if I do it too far in advance before flying does it expire?

Offline SMOE NSET

• Adventurer
« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
DIESEL

I would wait until you know exactly when you plan on going back. The only part of the process that made us delay our exit by a month was the medical check up. My wife had 2 white spots on her lungs and so they tested her for TB (which takes awhile since you have to do mouth swabs twice with time in between). She didn't have TB but it delayed our exit a month which made the medical check up expire so she had to do it all over again. So plan the time you are leaving and plan the medical check up a few months before and then do the rest of the process.

Once the medical was done, the interview at the embassy was quick and her documents arrived shortly after.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/