December 13, 2018, 09:01:08 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 171107 times)

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
Had our interview and visa was approved.  Strangely, the 2nd Korean police check was handed back to us.  When do you pay the green card fee?
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #461 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »
Any updates on people receiving their packet 3? Holidays probably slowed stuff down by 2x as they get through backlogs etc.

Does anyone know of a timeframe from packet 3 date to when the foreign spouse is legally allowed to move to the US if stuff is done at a non rushed normal pace?

For example:
January 30th: Packet 3 email received
End of May: Legally allowed?

My US company is crazy about setting dates for PTO so I'm trying to figure out a time to come back to Korea to help my spouse with the moving etc (later is fine, but of course too early makes the trip over pointless).

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #462 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
I think you have a yr from the time the I-130 is approved.  But you can ask for an extension.  Once you get the Packet 3, you need to do the DS-260 online.  Takes about a month to get approved and then you can make the appt.  In all I would say 2 months.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #463 on: January 16, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
We received the passport/visa in the mail. Strangly the big vanilla envelope had a cut in one of the corners.  Did anyone else's envelope arrive the same way?  Just asking because it says the envelope should not be opened.   

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #464 on: January 18, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
We received the passport/visa in the mail. Strangly the big vanilla envelope had a cut in one of the corners.  Did anyone else's envelope arrive the same way?  Just asking because it says the envelope should not be opened.

Mine had a cut in the corner as well! It's not just my envelope, phewwww! 8)

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #465 on: January 18, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
Thanks Cad_Diva.  That is a relief to know.

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #466 on: January 18, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
I am flying into Detroit.  Has anyone processed their papers there?  Good or bad or did they send you back to Korea?

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Question about ordering tax transcripts: I know you have to go on the IRS website to order them. On my 1040, my address is my Korean one, not my US address. Did any of you successfully order your transcripts on the website by putting in your Korean address on the request form thing (assuming you also listed that address on the 1040, obviously)? I'm a little paranoid the IRS will somehow mess up the address when mailing them to Korea and I won't get them...

Offline keepinitreal

• Newgookin
« Reply #468 on: January 27, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
I got my Packet 3 Instructions 7 weeks after I submitted my I -130 and documents. My spouse and I completed the interview and submitted Packet 3 yesterday. Some advice and tips:

It is not two police certificate; it is one. I gave them two and they gave one back. If your spouse is a non-Korean citizen, then it might be two different police certificates.
-Ensure you have ALL documents with you prior to interview; saw a lot of couples getting the blue slip. Attention to Detail. Have your W2 and Letter of Domicile. Have a picture with you and your spouse if your spouse does not go with you on the interview date.
-I made a mistake of using the Family Relations Certificate before I got married; get the one with your name on the certificate after marriage. We quickly went to Jongno City Hall to get it and paid 10,000 to get it translated across the street and took it back to them.
Approved Visa and Passport is currently on way to the address I put on the site when I scheduled the interview.

Best of luck to those who are still working on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:19:16 PM by keepinitreal »

Offline caerdroia

• Veteran
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
We filed the i-130 form on December 15th, and got our packet 3 email on January 21st, so it took about 6 weeks. Now I'm working on filling out the affidavit of support paperwork and spouse is getting the medical check-up today! ;D

I have a question about the affidavit of support~ My income is already sufficient to support my spouse (it's a regular public school EPIK teacher income anyway), but do you think it's worth it or would strengthen our chances to ALSO get my parents to fill out the i-864a forms (Contract between Sponsor and Household Member), just so their income gets added into mine?

Or would you guys say that it's not really necessary... 
"Don't Panic"

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #470 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:52 AM »
For all the people posting their I-130 times to approval timeframes did you go through the process in S.Korea?

I filed on December 4th (or so) to the Phoenix lockbox (I'm from California). I called in to the customer service national number to see if I can get an update and they said it could be up to 5-7 more months before any sort of approval.

Sucks.

Offline p33k

• Veteran
« Reply #471 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »
For all the people posting their I-130 times to approval timeframes did you go through the process in S.Korea?

I filed on December 4th (or so) to the Phoenix lockbox (I'm from California). I called in to the customer service national number to see if I can get an update and they said it could be up to 5-7 more months before any sort of approval.

Sucks.

It seems much quicker for people in S.Korea as it only took us about 4 weeks to get approval here.

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #472 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
Question about ordering tax transcripts: I know you have to go on the IRS website to order them. On my 1040, my address is my Korean one, not my US address. Did any of you successfully order your transcripts on the website by putting in your Korean address on the request form thing (assuming you also listed that address on the 1040, obviously)? I'm a little paranoid the IRS will somehow mess up the address when mailing them to Korea and I won't get them...

You don't even need the tax transcripts. A copy of the 1040 is sufficient.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #473 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »

I read in the instructions that if you give them a copy of the 1040 you also have to submit W-2s. I don't have official W-2s, just pay slips from my job in Korea... Did this work for you (assuming you already submitted it)? If so, that would be awesome since it would save me a lot of time/hassle with the transcripts!

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #474 on: February 04, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
After some back and forth with the U.S consulate in Seoul, I can't seem to get a straight answer about this:

Can anyone confirm that they submitted a COPY of their 1040 with form I-864 instead of official tax transcripts, and it was accepted by the consulate? If so, what did you do about the W-2 requirement that the I-864 instructions list? Can I submit it without any form of proof of payment, or should I include a translated copy of an unofficial pay slip from my employer?

I simply cannot get a straight "yes" or "no" answer from the consulate about this. They keep dodging the W-2 part of my question; they only say that I must submit tax information from the last year and that I can use a copy of my 1040 (DUH, a**holes). Not sure why it's so difficult to answer such a simple question.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #475 on: February 05, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »
You can get the Korean equivalent of w-2s at your local NTS printed in English for free.

That is how most provide the information (not sure how you would do it, otherwise).

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #476 on: February 05, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
You can get the Korean equivalent of w-2s at your local NTS printed in English for free.

That is how most provide the information (not sure how you would do it, otherwise).

Thanks for that! Did this work for you?

Also: tax transcripts. That's how you'd provide the info otherwise (without W-2s).

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #477 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
I wanted to give my experience now that the interview is over.

My husband is special case. He after the medical exam, it was revealed that he has small scars in his lungs which might be from TB. So he had to get another test done to make sure he is cured of all TB. This test takes 8 weeks to get the results. Luckily, we were allowed to keep our visa appointment.

We had our interview appointment at 8am. We arrived and were in the waiting room by 7:45 and were 4th in line. At 7:55 they called the first couple.
When it was our turn, we handed over all the documents we had. But here's what they took:
-All the documents listed in packet 3
-3 years of tax records: 1040 (2014, 2013, 2012) and 2555 (qualified in 2014) and W2s from when I worked in America (2012)
-copy of my American bank account and American credit card statement
-Letter I made that explained my domicile and that we would live with my parents
-copy of the front page of my most recent work contract (I brought the originals but they returned them to me after looking at them)

They asked if I (the American spouse) had any proof I was moving back to the states. I told them no and we're going to be living with my parents. They were satisfied with that answer. Also, my husband's photos were older than 6 months (same picture that's in his 2 year old passport) so we had to leave the embassy to get new pictures. Luckily, there's a passport photo booth in the metro station and we were back within 10mins. After turning over the new pictures, we waited.

After a little bit, they started calling people for the interview part. Some couples had only the foreign spouse go up, others went together. The interview is through a glass window like when you turn in the documents. My husband and I went together. The guy was very cheerful (3 couples before us were approved). He asked us how we met and what style of wedding did we have. Both my husband and I answered the questions together. With a smile on his face, the interviewer said we were good! He told us the hospital will mail his final medical exam results directly to the embassy. Then they will look over them. If everything is clear, they will tell us to mail in his passport to put in his visa. Within a week, we'll have it back. It seemed like no one was surprised about him needing the additional TB test and it wasn't a big issue. The interview was less than 5 minutes. We walked out the door of the embassy at 9:15am.

I hope this can help others!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:46:42 PM by adrienne.light »

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #478 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
We submitted the I-130 on January 5th and just got our Packet 3 email today, February 12th! It took about five and a half weeks. I was so excited... until I saw that the first available interview is March 11th, damnit. I really wanted to buy our tickets sooner!

Without going into detail, this is the second time I've done this process, and for some reason this time it has taken way longer for them to process the paperwork (which is annoying, since it was so much easier/faster for us to gather everything since I mostly know what I'm doing this time!). The first time was about three years ago and it only took two weeks to get Packet 3. Interview appointments were also available only a week or two later. This must be a busy time of year.

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »

I read in the instructions that if you give them a copy of the 1040 you also have to submit W-2s. I don't have official W-2s, just pay slips from my job in Korea... Did this work for you (assuming you already submitted it)? If so, that would be awesome since it would save me a lot of time/hassle with the transcripts!

Yes this worked, I already finished with the whole process 2 months ago. I first emailed someone from the consulate asking if a copy is okay and they said yes. I took only the copy of the 1040 for the interview and it was fine.